PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroup Problems

lynx2oo2
15-08-2003, 18:45
ok, this one is really starting to bug me, i use news.cable.ntlworld.com alot, and up to 3-4 days ago, was very happy with the service (apart from the rubbish retention), but now I can not even connect.

I use Grabit and outlook express, Grabit for binaries and oe for text, i know of the other servers (text.ntlworld ect) and have also tried tesco.net and virgin.net that all worked fine untill recently.

Customer services have been no help at all, apart from one guy who sent me the complete list of proxies to try (to no avail).

Could this be due to the msblast worm?, I know both my machines are clean and protected with firewall and virus scanner.

Please, is anyone else having problems, or is it as CS stated, "sorry mate, looks like your configuration".

Any feedback is appreciated.

Ipswich
Suffolk

Steve H
15-08-2003, 19:44
I think they're up and down.. I myself cant connect to news.cable.ntlworld.com either, and I'd just been getting into them :(

homealone
15-08-2003, 19:50
Hi Lynx2oo2

I use the the text.news.ntlworld.com server for text groups & have found it to be pretty reliable.

Binaries are another story - try newscache.cable.ntlworld.com or news.cache.cable.ntlworld.com - I'm not saying that these are any better than the one you currently use, but i've found, sometimes, having a choice means you can find one that has the edge at the particular time you want to d/l.

Failing that, there are a couple of free 3rd party servers, but I'm guessing you want a bit more than the 50Mb/day they offer?:)

<edit>they are good for fills though.

Jonboy
15-08-2003, 20:33
news groups are hit and miss and have been for a long while the Binaries were blamed for slowing the network if you remember which was another reason the so called cap was introduced ha bloody ha best time to use Binaries groups ive found in uk is 00:59 - 06:00 when all the little darlings are in bed and kazar etc take a breather as well :D before the nappie rash brigade hit cyber space again

lynx2oo2
15-08-2003, 21:02
Many thanks for the info folks, just seems strange that my friend is on 600k in ipswich and having the same problems, but my sister who is also in ipswich is on 1Mb has not had any problems at all.

oh well, such is life.

lynx2oo2

Jonboy
15-08-2003, 21:11
its a case of suck it and see i am afraid my mate 3 mile from me has no prob tonight at present and i cant connect but this afty i had no problem at all

homealone
15-08-2003, 21:18
Originally posted by lynx2oo2
Many thanks for the info folks, just seems strange that my friend is on 600k in ipswich and having the same problems, but my sister who is also in ipswich is on 1Mb has not had any problems at all.

oh well, such is life.

lynx2oo2

- all off round her house then:D

- I've just tried d/loading headers - all servers are slow, for me, but do, eventually, get updated.

lincsat
16-08-2003, 18:35
I've been struggling with the Text server for the last couple of days. Got a free astraweb account, it works fine.

Steve H
16-08-2003, 18:36
Do they do binaries as well?, If So.. got a link?

homealone
16-08-2003, 20:07
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Do they do binaries as well?, If So.. got a link?

http://www.astraweb.com

- yes they do binaries - more groups available than NTL as well.

Only 50MB per 24 hrs allowed on the free account - & posting not allowed.