PDA

View Full Version : ntl home 200 not working through d-linl di-624

pto
17-10-2004, 13:44
Hi there - wondering if anyone can help? When i connect my ntl home 200 modem directly into the ethernet port on my pc i can access the internet.

When i connect the modem to the WAN port on my D-link DI-624 wireless router I cannot access the internet - all i get is a "page not found" error.

At first i though i may have done something wrong with the wirless setup - but i have the same problem when connecting the router to my pc via ethernet.

I have run through the set up wizard on the router and am sure i have entered all the correct parameters - but has anyone any further advice? for example is the MAC address that i enter into the WAN connection area meant to be the MAC address as it appears on the back of my modem?

Any comments welcomed - I've already had a day on this and got nowhere.

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2004, 14:16
You have rebooted the modem having disconnected your PC, before you connect the router?

badnbusy
17-10-2004, 14:22
what MovedGoalPosts said. You need to reboot the modem each time its connected to a new device

pto
17-10-2004, 14:33
hi there - yep, i just rebooted again to make sure.

I disconnected the modem from the pc, switched off the modem, plugged it into the WAn port, then switched on the modem again (whilst connecting the router to the PC) - and still nothing.

anything else i shoud check?

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2004, 14:59
Lets find out whether it's the router to PC connection that's the issue, or the PC to router. Can you view the admin pages of the router from your PC?

pto
17-10-2004, 15:04
ah! just got it working. shut everything down, and reset the router (by holding the button in for longer than the 1 second i had done before) and I am now on the internet via the router.

Just been through the wizard again to set up new password etc. and everything is still ok.

thanks for the advice guys, think I've learnt a lesson - never underestimate the power of holding down the reset button..

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2004, 15:14
Glad to see your up and running. Make sure you do get your wireless secured so others can't pry into what you are up to. Useful advice available here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

Tezcatlipoca
17-10-2004, 16:11
for example is the MAC address that i enter into the WAN connection area meant to be the MAC address as it appears on the back of my modem?

[Although you now have it working.....]

Nope. You shouldn't clone the MAC address of the modem onto the router. If you need to clone a MAC onto the router's WAN port to get it working, it must be the MAC address of the previously connected device [i.e. the MAC of your PC's network card].

pto
17-10-2004, 16:38
cheers for that - looking back, that is the one key thing that i have left after hitting reset.

For some reason i thought that because my modem had this MAC address - and that because the router was asking for a MAC address - i should enter it (and I'm sure my IT guy at work said I'd need to do this).

Anyways - the MAC address is as it was after hitting reset - and is not the one on my modem and everything is still working.

I've actually moved my PC up to the first floor of my house, leaving the router downstairs, and although the signal is varying from low - to good, the internet connection seems to running full whack.