PDA

View Full Version : using broadband with Ethernet

trakki33
16-10-2004, 16:08
Please forgive my ignorance, but, I am currently connected to Broadband using USB connection, however, I want to change to ethernet connection, I have an NIC port with Ethernet card. Do I need to uninstall Broadband and then install it again??

thanks
tracey

poolking
16-10-2004, 16:12
Are you using a SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem)?

If you are, I'm sure all you have to do is power down the modem then switch to the ethernet connection and power the modem back up again.

Tezcatlipoca
16-10-2004, 18:36
Please forgive my ignorance, but, I am currently connected to Broadband using USB connection, however, I want to change to ethernet connection, I have an NIC port with Ethernet card. Do I need to uninstall Broadband and then install it again??

thanks
tracey

:welcome:

There is no need to reinstall anything. The only real use for the ntl CD is for the USB drivers. No need to use anything from the CD, or to re-register the account.

Are you using a SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem)?

If you are, I'm sure all you have to do is power down the modem then switch to the ethernet connection and power the modem back up again.

Yep, all you need to do for a SACM is power cycle the modem -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

Nidge
16-10-2004, 19:13
I just swapped mine straight over with no problems at all. It's faster by ethernet to.

Tricky
16-10-2004, 19:24
REPEAT after me:
If I have access to a Ethernet adapter in my machine I will NOT use USB
If I have access to a Ethernet adapter in my machine I will NOT use USB
Etc...