PDA

View Full Version : Cillit Bang

Theodoric
15-10-2004, 20:28
Some of you have seen an incredibly amateurish advert for a new cleaner called Cillit Bang (on UK Food in my case). Anyway, one of my relatives has turned starry eyed about this product, but it seems impossible to get hold of around our area (south London). A bit of googling gave an interesting thread (http://www.petercooper.co.uk/archives/000416.html) which suggested that it is sporadically available around the country. So, any sightings, anyone.

Chemical addendumThe advert shows its action on metallic calcium as proof that it will be also effective on lime scale (calcium carbonate). As someone in th thread implies, this is a pointless comparison as metallic calcium is very reactive. I very much doubt if it would work on blackboard chalk (calcium sulphate).

BBKing
15-10-2004, 21:06
I do ask myself if it's deliberately amateursh, in a retro sense, to cash in on nostalgia about old adverts brought on by too many 'Best Of The 70s/80s/90s' shows. There are two faux-old adverts out at the moment, for Oven Chips and Kingsmill, all we need are the Shake-and-Vac woman and the Smash robots and we'll know that there are no more new ideas in advertising.

Chemical Stuff
Yes, that made me laugh too. A bit like saying 'Look how fast this car goes on petrol, imagine how fast it'll go on water'.

gary_580
15-10-2004, 21:49
that advert is so weird, goes on about cleaning limescale and then they dip a penny in it!! How much limescale is there on a penny.

Marge
15-10-2004, 23:54
Seen in Morrisons in Cheadle Heath last Saturday :D :D

Shaun
16-10-2004, 00:00
Seen in the cupboard under our sink, still not tried it!

Graham
16-10-2004, 13:29
I've seen the advert once and I'm not sure, but it looks very much like an American advert (explaining why it's so naff!) that's had a British voice dubbed over it.

I'm not even sure if it's a UK penny (or maybe if it is that was spliced in afterwards)