PDA

View Full Version : warranty and sales ?

kronas
15-10-2004, 12:31
i bought a pc back in march about two months ago it started developing a fault, i got in touch with the tech support for the firm and they sent an engineer out.....so the guy went and came, the pc was working.....20 mins later same fault :mad: so again i rang up the tech support and told them i want a new unit which they refused many times... so they sent the same technician out again this time replacing practically everything, guess what same fault :mad: so this time the pc was sent away, i recieved it back yesterday, (note it has a three year warrenty, so i set it up last night thinking all would be ok......10 mins later same fault :mad: except this time the os wont load :mad: so im in a situation where i want a new unit, so what is my legal stance on this ? can i demand a proper replacement or are they required to legally fix it how they see fit ?

Salu
15-10-2004, 12:33
Maybe you are doing something wrong? What is the fault?

dilli-theclaw
15-10-2004, 12:34
I think the first port of call would be to go see the CAB - Do you have on near there?

I would think they are not living up to there obligations if they're not giving you a working machine, but I'm not a lawyer....

Go see the CAB :)

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Graham
15-10-2004, 14:00
i bought a pc back in march about two months ago it started developing a fault [...] so im in a situation where i want a new unit, so what is my legal stance on this ? can i demand a proper replacement or are they required to legally fix it how they see fit ?

Unfortunately you're probably not entitled to a new machine at this time. (Note usual caveats about me not being a lawyer!)

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 it must be "As Advertised", "Fit for Purpose" and "Of Satisfactory Quality". Were it to fail any of these tests when you got it, you could demand a replacement. However since you'd had it for several months without problem it would most likely be deemed that you had "accepted" the item as satisfactory.

Under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Act 2002 you have the right to choose repair, replacement or partial or full refund or compensation if a fault appears within 6 years and it's reasonable for goods to last that long. Also if you complain within 6 months the onus is on the retailer to prove that the goods were not faulty at the time of purchase (after 6 months the onus is on you to prove they were faulty at time of purchase).

HOWEVER: Your problem is that because the machine had been working fine for about four months, the retailer would have a good case for showing that the computer was not faulty at time of purchase since, had it been, the fault would have shown up before then.

You don't actually say *what* the fault is, so it's difficult to say more, but I think your best bet would be to take the repairs under the warranty.

Given the tech has "replaced practically everything" I'd suggest getting them to fit a new mobo if they didn't do it last time, because that's probably the last thing left to change.

kronas
15-10-2004, 14:04
thanks graham, the wierd thing is absolutely everything has been replaced, apart from the ram stick, i bought one to add to the unit previously, and its not that causing the problem, there is a thread on here about my problems:

the problem is this, when i leave the pc on for an x amount of time, 10 mins or 20 mins at any point the moniter goes off and the hard drive light on the unit is a solid yellow, i cannot get a response from the pc itself, the unit does NOT power down i have to force it, after that it wont boot up for a period of time, if i switch on i get nothing apart from the solid yellow light and green power light...

andygrif
15-10-2004, 14:06
You should first look at the terms of the warranty, it might state that they will decide whether or not to replace it. Your first port of call should be to write a letter to the company sectretary at the registered head office address of the supplier.

Under the Sale of Goods Act (that's the law they always refer to as Statutory Rights) you are entitled to reject the goods on the grounds of not being fit for purpose within a 'reasonable' time however you will probably find that you are now outside of this window.

In addition the Act makes provision for the retailer to be given 'reasonable' time for them to rectify any problem. I would state in your letter that you are willing for them to fully rectify the fault one last time, after which point if the fault reoccours you expect a replacement model to be given or a refund.

Send the letter recorded delivery by the way.

kronas
15-10-2004, 14:23
well i finally got them to atleast budge a little..... keeping my cool i have got them to give me a replacement.....BUT i will have to wait for them to pick it up next week, it will shipped abroad for testing, if they find a fault only then i will get a replacement.

better than nothing i suppose :(

zoombini
15-10-2004, 14:40
Make sure that youi take the RAM that you bought out before it's returned.

You know, it might have been that if everything has been changed "but" that.

Graham
16-10-2004, 13:26
the problem is this, when i leave the pc on for an x amount of time, 10 mins or 20 mins at any point the moniter goes off and the hard drive light on the unit is a solid yellow, i cannot get a response from the pc itself,

Have you tried using Hardware Monitor or something similar to check the operating temperatures?

It's possible that you've got a CPU overheating problem either through an inadequate fan or the heatsink not being situated properly.

kronas
16-11-2004, 00:00
it came back about three weeks ago the status report was that the CPU was overheating, so it was replaced, but unfortunately tonight the hard drive failed :rolleyes:

aliferste
16-11-2004, 00:07
Thats a damn shame Kronas!!
I hate it when things like that happen. What company did you buy it from anyway?

kronas
16-11-2004, 03:30
Thats a damn shame Kronas!!
I hate it when things like that happen. What company did you buy it from anyway?

well it was from lidl, a targa visionary 3000, i bought a laptop a few years ago which i later sold, but to my knowledge it still works,,,

Matth
16-11-2004, 22:27
Got a cordlesss mouse from LiDL, and after a few months, the mains adapter failed (from what I read, a stock fault in this particular design under this and other brand names), and since it was not bought separately, the receipt had long since disappeared.

Still using it, with the aid of a £3.99 adapter from a local odds an ends shop.

I wouldn't recommend buying technology from a foreign supermarket!

kronas
17-11-2004, 01:00
in a fit of rage i threw the hard drive across the car park, told my mate to run over it, bought a new hard drive and it (the pc) switches itself on as soon as i plug the power lead, keyboard,mouse in, and the thing stays there nothing on screen... :shrug: