PDA

View Full Version : Finding BT line in my home?

slewis1972
15-10-2004, 08:35
Ok - I cannot seem to find a BT forum and as am still an existing nTL customer - see my other post - I thought I'd pick users brains here.

Moving just my NTL phone to BT - BUT I have had my brother round who is a BT engineer (does not do installs but works on the road), and anyway - looks like the bT line was cut somewhere in my house before I moved in.

Anyway - are they able to trace it by any means under the ground in my front lawn - or do they need to relay the cable from the connection point on the pavement - if so - some digging is required.

Cheers

Scott

Tricky
15-10-2004, 08:46
AFAIK - All lines (BT/NTL) would not be underground into your property, depending on the age of your property you'd normally be serviced from a telegraph pole or underground service which would appear outside your house at a service box normally mounted on a wall. I have seen te service to BT cut before in order to install NTL but they usually do this internally within the house so that any existing cabling can be used.

EDIT - I'm sure if any of the above is incorrect someone will say!

ian@huth
15-10-2004, 11:40
I have seen NTL installations that have followed the same route as the BT cables from underground and had the BT wiring cut under where the brown box is situated, with the ends of the BT wiring wrapped in insulating tape and left buried in the ground, in order to use the existing internal wiring. This has usually been done at the customers request to make the exterior of the house look tidier.