PDA

View Full Version : Going online with my ntl USB/ethernet modem

tibidabo8
14-10-2004, 22:28
Please can someone answer this for me?
I have a ntl:home Broadband Internet modem that I currently use to access the internet on my PC via the modem's USB port. The modem also has an ethernet port.

I've read several posts on this site and elsewhere that say even if I use the PS2 network adaptor, I cannot network my PS2 directly via my USB modem. Apparently, to use the USB connection I have to network it through my PC using a router or Internet Connection Sharing.

But I don't want to use my PC to network my PS2. Instead, can I connect the ethernet port on my modem to the network adaptor, and then connect the network adaptor to the PS2? I know this means I won't be able to have my PC and PS2 online at the same time, but this doesn't bother me.

Will this work? Thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
15-10-2004, 13:21
:welcome:

Yes, you should be able to connect the PS2's network adapter directly to the modem's ethernet port.

You will need to "power cycle" (reboot) the modem inbetween switching from the PC>modem connection to the PS2>modem connection.

See these links for more info on why you have to reboot the modem & how:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html#usbswap

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html#swap

As you say, this means you will only be able to use either the PC or PS2 online at any one time.

If you get fed up swapping leads & rebooting the modem every time you want to use the PS2 online, then a very good option is to buy a router. You can get good routers very cheaply now, e.g. the Linksys BEFSR41 for just over 30quid from Amazon.co.uk. It would free up the need to keep swapping the cables & keep rebooting the modem, & would let you use both the PC & PS2 online at the same time. If you use a router, you will have to get an ethernet card (network card, NIC, etc) for the PC, & use that to connect instead of USB. They are very cheap though, & give a better & more stable connection than USB.

An alternative is to subscribe to ntl's Broadband & Console service. This gives you 2 IP addresses instead of one, & enables the modem to use both its USB port & ethernet port at the same time. It costs a couple of quid a month, IIRC, although there may also be a set-up fee. However, it works out more expensive, in the long run, than buying a router. A router is also a much better investment, in case you ever want to use a 2nd PC online.

tibidabo8
16-10-2004, 00:26
Thanks. Much appreciated.