PDA

View Full Version : Scunthorpe and other effected again

Mauldor
12-10-2004, 18:08
Afte the big post on the major problems in Scunthorpe, a UBR I assume was replaced and all was well - until last night that was.....

Now this is a slightly different problem I am thinking, at 1am (or there abouts) last night my connection went off - fair enough i assumed they are doing work in the area (rebalancing etc). Now today - its a wierd one - if you use a Proxy (not a NTL one) then the web works fine - FTP etc is not effected at all.

MSN back to on and offline - though to be honest MSN has had some serious problems anyhow of late - so not something to point the finger at this time for ntl.

Would Anyone of inside information care to explain why once again it is playing up? I noticed no posts but there is something on the status page (12th oct) - is it a UBR problem again or is all the Proxy Servers dead?? I can browse and work using a alternative proxy but would like to hear what the problem is this time - is NTL network falling apart?

bonzoe
12-10-2004, 19:56
Not noticed any problems with msn messenger or downloads or surfing in Ashby DN16 tonight

mcfc2134
12-10-2004, 19:57
Having trouble in NG7 postcode again, don't know if anyone else is experiencing a indifferent service at the moment? Connection speed is up and down all the time, and can't download at full speed over a given period of time.

According to NTL Tech support, there is a problem in the scunthorpe area and the NG7 postcode. Is it possible that these are related?

Mauldor
12-10-2004, 20:33
Not noticed any problems with msn messenger or downloads or surfing in Ashby DN16 tonight
Well im also dn16 - its kinda bizzare to be honest - if i take out the proxy, so using NTL proxy or indeed put ANY NTL Proxy in - the web page cannot be found. FTP, Game, basically anything that does not use a Proxy is working fine. MSN has been def off for a day or so - but this is across the board as MSN is having a few problems, some people can get on fine while others cannot even log in - this is a MSN issue and nothing to do with NTL or connection so im not using that as a Yard stick.

Like I say - went off at bang on 1am - not sure whwne it came back on but i know it was light up when i came on again apart from this issue Im having and there is a Staus page entry for the Area .... wierd

Bubo
12-10-2004, 20:48
I had a wierd one today. Got home at lunch time and tried to connect. no go. No net connection detected at all and windows was assigning me a 169.xx.xx.xx ip address which if you read the sticky usually indicates a PC prob, was working fine the previous night. I left it till I got home from work and it was the same. Tried the winipfix prog they suggest in the sticky, no joy. Restored an old ghost image I know was ok, still no joy. swap from ethernet to USB, still no joy. Spent 45 mins waiting for tech support to answer then another 15 trying to sort the prob. No joy, he says it is a pc prob. Resign myself to it actually being my pc afterall and contemplate spending xxx quid on a 64bit m/b and cpu. Thought since I can't connect to the net I'll have a quick game of links ls 98, devils island. Finished the round 18 over par, quit to desktop, hello, msn icon is there now, checked ip and it is 81.xx.xx.xx now. Rebooted pc, net working perfectly as far as I can tell. :shrugs: dn17 here btw

Mauldor
12-10-2004, 21:34
Ok here is a good one, thought i woudl try something (as i had nothing to loose) , i changed my MAC on my Router - rebooted Cable Modem (Surfboard) and got a new IP - as if by magic, everything is working a treat - odd that eh !!!