PDA

View Full Version : Ping spikes in ANY game

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 12:49
OK this is just annoying me now.

At first I used to get the odd ping spike to about 200-300 when playing in my games, didn't really bother me at first but now they shoot up to 700-1000. This has never happened before.

Any ideas whats going on? :(

Graham M
11-10-2004, 12:52
Not happening in anything I play here, could it be just a problem on your connection?

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 12:56
Not happening in anything I play here, could it be just a problem on your connection?
That's what I was thinking, could some one here who works for NTL be able to scan my connection to see if it's anything, if you have the time that is :(

Caspar
11-10-2004, 14:11
It could just be the game servers you are playing on. How many have you tried? Where are they located, what pings are other people in the game getting?

When it happens post in the game asking if anyone else are getting spikes too?

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 14:16
It could just be the game servers you are playing on. How many have you tried? Where are they located, what pings are other people in the game getting?

When it happens post in the game asking if anyone else are getting spikes too?Happens on any server I join, and when I look at the pings of other players I see something like this:

800 - Me

Even servers located in the UK, which then I will get a ping of 15 will STILL shoot up to 400.

Was just playing on my mates server who lives in Sweden, about every 1-3 minutes my ping spiked.

Caspar
11-10-2004, 14:19
Are you on a network at home, is someone else using your net connection on another machine?

Do you have any software running in the background?

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 14:22
Are you on a network at home, is someone else using your net connection on another machine?

Do you have any software running in the background?I'm on a network, but it's just my network (only other computer is my notebook).

Only software running in the back-ground is BOINC, but that is always open and running and has NOT effected my pings before.

Caspar
11-10-2004, 14:30
As a test turn BOINIC off...also make sure your laptop is off too.

A friend has a ping issue when his g/f boots her laptop up and surfs... Tho, my wife can surf happily on my network without effecting my gaming pings...

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 14:41
As a test turn BOINIC off...also make sure your laptop is off too.

A friend has a ping issue when his g/f boots her laptop up and surfs... Tho, my wife can surf happily on my network without effecting my gaming pings...
I'll test with BOINC off once it's finished download the WU's. I can't turn my notebook off, if I turn it off I loose my internet connection to this PC (not enough cable for the cable modem, so my notebook expands the line to this PC)

lima
11-10-2004, 15:22
Last time I had lag spikes like this it turned out to be the PACE box. I had the same symptoms - join a sever and had a ping of around 20 and after 10 mins the pings would jump up to 400-800 causing me to get kicked for high ping :( Had to reboot the PACE box each time. After a couple of calls to Tech Support and sending them some tracert screenshots showing high ping to www.bbc.co.uk (for proof) an engineer's visit resulting in a swopout of the PACE box cured it.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 15:35
I don't have a PACE box, I got a SACM.

Just testing with BOINC closed now.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 15:38
As soon as I joined a server my ping spiked to 300. Every one elses was 50. So it isn't BOINC that effecting it.

Caspar
11-10-2004, 15:43
I'll test with BOINC off once it's finished download the WU's. I can't turn my notebook off, if I turn it off I loose my internet connection to this PC (not enough cable for the cable modem, so my notebook expands the line to this PC)

I don't like the idea of internet connection sharing through o/s, seems very awkard way of doing things...

As a test can you plug the moden straight into the PC, yes move it!...for a quick test... and try again.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 15:45
I don't like the idea of internet connection sharing through o/s, seems very awkard way of doing things...

As a test can you plug the moden straight into the PC, yes move it!...for a quick test... and try again.Errr moving my PC would be irrating, since I have to put it all on the floor where my notebook is :(

Was just trying to play Natural Selection, but with no hope. When there is action or when I need to use mutiple controls, according to HL's netgraph my choke zoomed up to 100. I asked if any one else was getting a choke and they said no. Just after getting the 100 choke I couldn't move and my ping spiked to 800.

Bifta
11-10-2004, 15:47
Errr moving my PC would be irrating, since I have to put it all on the floor where my notebook is :(

Was just trying to play Natural Selection, but with no hope. When there is action or when I need to use mutiple controls, according to HL's netgraph my choke zoomed up to 100. I asked if any one else was getting a choke and they said no. Just after getting the 100 choke I couldn't move and my ping spiked to 800.

Go out and buy a huge CAT5 cable, they're dirt cheap, then you won't have to move your PC to test it.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 15:56
Only had to pull it out. Got it connected to my SACM via Ethernet cable, going to test on 3 servers.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 16:02
All 3 servers tested, when going into action choke went up to 80-100 and ping spiked to 400. Also couldn't move.

Electrolyte01
11-10-2004, 16:25
My mate just messaged me on messenger asking if I am having problems with websites taking forever to load and games pings spiking. She only lives a couple of streets away from me, on the 750K version. So it must be my area :(

Electrolyte01
12-10-2004, 07:54
Well, it's morning, and websites are taking even longer now. According to UT2004 there was some packet loss, is there any programs I can use to test for this?