PDA

View Full Version : Router drops connection when using eBay!

John C Huggins
08-10-2004, 21:17
Hi

I have carried out a quick search for this problem but can't find anything relevant.

Unfortunatly I'm not very technically minded, but here goes....

I have NTL broadband which runs through a router to four additional PC's, basically most of the time every thing works fine...that is until I try to access eBay!, as soon as I start trying to work in eBay my router drops the connection within seconds. The only way I can restore the connection is to unplug the router, then plug it back in, all is ok I can surf for hours on end on any site, but as soon as I try to access eBay the connection is lost>

Are there any know issues?

JC

TheBlueRaja
08-10-2004, 21:19
Could be something to do with the security on Ebay causing you problems, is there any particular page on EBay that give your problems or just Ebay in general...

John C Huggins
08-10-2004, 21:22
Thanks for the prompt response, no just eBay in general, someone suggested a 'proxy server problem'

JC

Rone
08-10-2004, 21:25
I use a router to 2 pcs, and must admit every site is available, and i'm also a member of e-bay.

TheBlueRaja
08-10-2004, 21:34
Normally with a proxy problem you just wouldnt get the site though - it could be but it sounds like some sort of software thing if the router falls on its ass.

Have you tried to update it?

Tezcatlipoca
08-10-2004, 21:34
You mean the actual broadband connection itself drops?

Or is it simply that you can't access ebay?

What make/model router do you use?

I don't see how trying to browse the ebay website would cause a disconnection...

Problems with accessing a particular site, but not others, are often due to proxy server problems. Although if you are actually being disconnected, then that's quite strange & not a proxy problem...

homealone
08-10-2004, 21:58
- thinking out loud :dozey: - could the ebay url have been hijacked on JC's pc? - the cutoff may be a reaction to that??

Jonboy
08-10-2004, 22:43
would not be because your over the limit for the amount of pc's you have connected to the router would it just athought

John C Huggins
09-10-2004, 15:12
Hi Guys

Thanks for all you input.
To try and clarify the situation.

This is a problem I have had before trying to access eBay via NTL broadband and my Netgear router. Then all of a sudden it was OK for a couple of months, but has now started playing up again. It appears to happen more often at peak times, i.e. weekends early evening etc. Very early in the morning (6 am) it is often OK.

I can always access the site, I can always get into 'My eBay' The problem occurs when trying to view a particular item, or make a bid. The 'Page can't be displayed' comes up if I then try an access any web site via any of the PC's........NO GO......untill I reboot the Router?

Not being very tech minded doesn't help. I tried CS at NTL but as soon as they knew I was using a Router they wasn't interested.

I would be grateful of any help as I have item on eBay for sale that I can't monitor

Thanks

JC

altis
09-10-2004, 17:07
When the page cannot be displayed try hitting refresh. It could be that a packet has got lost.

dragon
11-10-2004, 22:05
hmm this is me taking a whild stab in the dark but try looking for a firmware update for the router maybe something on ebay is causing the router to lockup?

dragon
11-10-2004, 22:08
would not be because your over the limit for the amount of pc's you have connected to the router would it just athought

nope wouldnt cause it besides who are NTL to say what the user has on their side of the router.

i mean a user might have 7 or more computers connected to their broadband big woop de do i bet they dont use all 7 at once so wheres the problem and u can only go as your bb's max speed.

infact id be willing to bet a whole family surfing the web uses less bandwith than 1 person on p2p

Jonboy
12-10-2004, 01:48
calm down calm down deep breath it was just a thought nothing more

John C Huggins
12-10-2004, 16:59
Thanks Dragon

You nailed it! did a firmware upgrade for the netgear......problem solved!

Many Thanks

JC

DeadKenny
12-10-2004, 17:31
Begs the question though, what on ebay's site that could trip a router? :shocked:.

These things shouldn't be fussed about the content of HTML.

dragon
12-10-2004, 17:55
Begs the question though, what on ebay's site that could trip a router? :shocked:.

These things shouldn't be fussed about the content of HTML.

routers run software to control them my guess its its a bug or something.

guess it couldnt understand something that ebay did and it made it fall over?

dunno if that helps with anything though.

i once had something lockup the router but i cant remember what it was causing it.