PDA

View Full Version : Dog in kennels was attacked...

Caspar
08-10-2004, 10:40
A friend took their dog to a kennels last week whilst they went away on holiday.

When they returned to pick up Jasper (no jokes thank you!, weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢ve been there done that! :)) they were told that Jasper had been attacked by another dog †œwhilst he was being fedââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚. They were told †œitÃƒÂ¢à ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€Š¾Ã‚¢s just one of those thingsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â. Jasper was bullied mainly in tail region and initially it looked certain he was to lose his tail, although it still could happen itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s less likely. Heâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s very sore now with a collar on to prevent him from making his tail worse.

The kennels have said they would pay for all vet treatment, which has accrued to circa £1,000 and raising, says the independant vet. My friend though has to take time off work to take him to the vets, he has to go in soon for all day for surgery, with sedation.

The kennels didnâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t phone my friend up as soon as it happened, she only found out when she went to pick Jasper up. In the shock of things and rush to go down to the vets she paid the kennels fees, in full.

Does anyone have any idea of the legal side to these events, what legal position does my friend have in terms of sueing the kennels etc, not just for the harm they caused, through neglect, but also that she has to take time off work and for distress?

Russ
08-10-2004, 10:43
They were told †œitÃƒÂ¢à ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€Š¾Ã‚¢s just one of those thingsÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.

Perhaps that's what the police should tell victims of rape?

I absolutely detest the "it's one of those things" attitudes :grind:

I hope they are able to take legal and take 'em to the cleaners.

Mr_love_monkey
08-10-2004, 10:52
Dog kennels are appalling places - when I was younger I worked in one near me - and it's made it so that I would think long and hard about ever putting a dog in one.

Customers weren't actually allowed to see inside the area where the kennels were, because if they did they would never have left their dog there - the kennels themselves were over crowded, i.e. 5 dogs to a kennel when it should be 3 - and the extra dogs were left tied up in the corridors, with their leads tied to bars of the kennels.
It was an appaling place - and I know of atleast one time when a dog, who was tied to the kennel bars, managed to choke itself to death. The dog was buried in a field and the owner was told that it had run away...

Horrible places.

orangebird
08-10-2004, 10:54
I find it a bit odd that they would have fed dogs together..... :shrug:

If the kennels are offering to foot all the vets bills, then I'm not sure how much more your friend can claim on behalf of the dog. TBH, a dog losing it's tail or part thereof is NT going affect it's quality of life - my old labrador caught had his tail cut off after having in caught in a door... :rolleyes:

But I'm sure she could be recompensed for the time she has taken off work though? My car insurance company claimed (in money) back the days I had to take in holiday when I had an accident which wasn't my fault.

IMPO though, I'd leave it at that. And I'd never leave my dog at a kennels anyway. I'd rather pay a friend or member of family to live at my house and look after the dog for me.

orangebird
08-10-2004, 10:56
Perhaps that's what the police should tell victims of rape?

I absolutely detest the "it's one of those things" attitudes :grind:

I hope they are able to take legal and take 'em to the cleaners.

Bloody hell Russ, calm down. I'm nt sure how you can compare a couple of dogs having a savage moment, to someone getting raped. :afire:

Russ
08-10-2004, 11:26
Bloody hell Russ, calm down. I'm nt sure how you can compare a couple of dogs having a savage moment, to someone getting raped. :afire:

I'm not comparing the action, I'm comparing the reaction.

zoombini
08-10-2004, 11:32
Time to see a solicitor methinks.

They will have a duty to care for your friends animal while it is in thier care & they have obviously not done so.
Agreeing to pay for the vets fees will be an admission of guilt.

etccarmageddon
08-10-2004, 12:06
by chance last weekend we were looking for a pet superstore and went to this place in Denton (not far from stockport):-

http://www.mypetstopdenton.co.uk/web2/index.htm

they call themselves a 'resort' and they look after dogs/cats and also train them while you're on holiday if you wish. the lad who showed us round had a genuine love of his job and animals.

the kennels are amazing - each dog his his own which is sound proof and has a seperate play area. you can also ask for a TV in it! it is air conditioned and has heating. they use a seperate bruch for cleaning up each kennel - you see the brush outside each one! the place is spottlessly clean.

the down side is you're talking around £20 a day - you can then top this up with walking and playing sessions.

which kennels did your friend use?