PDA

View Full Version : problem with Digibox connection

talstoy
07-10-2004, 10:20
ok, first of all I've been poking around these forums for quiet some time without really registering or saying alot, being a qualified comp tech, the information in here is really good, and currently studying the net exam, the info here has proved invaluable. However, here is the problem.
A computer that works via NTL broadband set top Ambit modem ( which is my home computer/s connection), connects to the net with no problem, as it does through NTL dail up 'pay as you go' which is being used currently both with no major hassles, however the lady owner of the computer, has now moved onto broadband through a Pace Digibox, which does not require a cross over cable to work. The problem lays that when running the installation disc it comes up with an error 1 network Adapter set to DHCP failed. I have from dos tried to ping the relevant address 62.253.xxx.xxx but get a one hundred percent loss. I have pinged the net card itself using 127.0.0.1 with No Loss.
NTL have said its a binding error for which they can do nothing, however if that was the case, then surely one shouldn't be able to get on line by means of the dail up or if the whole system was transfered two miles down the road, to my home, or even work, is that true?
Properties on the net card say it is binding, I have contacted NTL on numerous ocassions, they have told me it won't work even if I took it to my home or place of work, which is using NTL. However it does, without problems, when contacted about this they told me I was mistaken, despite the fact that it was on in front of me. IThe computer meets all requirements, stats are as followds: the OS is 98 with about 512 ram, 40gb hard drive with a 700mhz CPU, all current drivers installed and no conflicts anywhere. At the moment it is producing a windows assigned IP address and will not let me renew/release when connected to digibox, take it from the digibox and place it anywhere else and it works smoothly.
I have about 2 yrs experience comptia qualified, boss has over twenty we can get it to work on anything other than the digibox, NTL say impossible and wont send an eginneer out because its a binding problem. Can any one help, have tried everything from the network manual, provided by or endorsed by comptia, right through to reformatting and doing it NTL's way, with always the same result, connects via NTL dail up and any other external modem or network, just not through that Digibox, haven't tried another, most people I know are use BB modem such as Ambit.
There is no firewall on the system, or router/switch anything like that, just staright forward connection via ethernet and can be usb, both of which provide the same results.
p.s. sorry about english been up too long!

Nemesis
07-10-2004, 10:37
Sounds like the cable or the box itself .... If you've tried both standard and crossover cables, I'd ring up and say that the box has stopped working.... completely.

talstoy
07-10-2004, 10:56
I have tried that, they say its computer and won't shift from that, did ask them if it was possible to get a set top box, answer highly unlikely, if not impossible. They are convinced that its computer and have said that everything I've done regarding taking to work and connecting through my home network and using ntl dailup, is user being mistaken or doesn't know what they are talking about, which is irritating

talstoy
07-10-2004, 10:56
by the way thanks for the reply!

BBKing
07-10-2004, 14:19
Hang on - the words set top box and cable modem and dial up are being used in a rather confusing way here so let's get some facts:

We're talking about a non-working connection via a digital TV set top box, of a computer that works fine on an Ambit cable modem? If so, please send me the MAC address or smart card number of the STB and we can at least check the box itself is working with a broadband service set on it.

Then we can get down to whether it needs a cross over or not, and what the 62.253.x.x address is.

talstoy
07-10-2004, 15:23
ok, yes we are talking about a computer that has worked on a ambit NTl broadband modem, still does, and works on a dail up, but will not work via digi box. At present not at home but will post smart number of stb to you, may not be while tomorrow morning then. Thanks

BBKing
07-10-2004, 19:42
No problem - I'll look forward to that then.

simpsonsFAN
07-10-2004, 21:19
Have you tried the stb autoreg page?, or have you already regestered, you dident make it clear in your post, why did you have to change from cable modem to stb?, ntl surely wont do that unless you ask them to?!

-Chris

talstoy
07-10-2004, 22:03
I have not being able to connect to the autoreg page and therefore wont let me register. What I did was take home and connect it to a usb modem, to show the the lady that it did in deed work with ntl.
Its only when connected to her digibox that it doesn't work (unable to try any other digibox). If you take away the digibox connection replacing it with the pay as you go modem, then it works, or connect to my home or work connection, which of course doesn't help the lady in question much. Hope that clears things up?

maccs
08-10-2004, 21:23
First time poster but ive supported alot of users installing NTL over the last 4 years and ive come across this bind problem.

Network card - are u using the NTL usb network adapter ? if so bin it hte drivers are screwy and will cause the bind problem its occurse becase some element of release renew dosnt happen so it jams on the default windows ip.

if the nic is in the pc but is intergrated on the m/b then try a seperate card id recomed you get a netgear 310tx its a solid 10/100 card and ive never had a prob with them on ntl. costs about £8 these days from pcworld (yurrrk)

there is an issue with a certain chip set used on intergraded nic's i believe its a via chipset issue and with the spec of the system you describe its about old enough that it might effect you, can only be resolved with a seperate nic
becase via carried over the nic chipset to whole load of boards in effects quite a view both amd and cyrix (remember them) sorry i cant give specifics these are probs from when ntl first launched broadband and i havent come across it recently.

Nic related in all cases where ive seen this prob swapping out the card and in one case the cable (weird) fixed the problem.

hope this helps even if a little try and fall back to your weakest link first cable and card then word backwords bios , windows system, software.

with this kind of problem their are laods of thinks that can effect the nic and cause it to not bind correctly it might be worth a poke in bios check for things like wake on lan try it on and off some cards like it some dont the old 3com cards im talking 10baseT wouldnt bind on my old office systems because of WOL combination of chipset and nic it freaked out suspect anything and trust nothing but your wit and your hammer.

good luck

maccs

talstoy
09-10-2004, 08:47
Thanks to all who have replied, just a brief update, the entire service has completely gone down now, tv included, I am waiting for NTL to sort out what they call 'technical' problems, but not sure when anything will be resumed. To the person who suugested a new nic card, that has been tried but to anvail. NTL have said I have to use their network usb adapter, but at present the complete service is down and not sure when its likely to be restored

Graham M
09-10-2004, 11:28
Pinging 127.0.0.1 does not prove that your network card is working, it is pinging an internal software interface and the packets do not go anywhere near your card. To really test, you'd need the IP of something to ping such as 194.168.4.100 for the NTL Primary DNS. That in itself would tell you if you could reach the outside world, but again, if it failed, it could be your network card, or it could be something on NTL's network.

talstoy
09-10-2004, 14:28
zeph,
thanks for that, but the net card I know works, it's been connected away from that set top box and works great