PDA

View Full Version : emergency telephone numbers

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 11:48
Ok, everyone knows about 999 and 112. but today in out lecture (bored as usual) we discovered that while our mobiles have the keylock on, in a similar fashion to pushing 112 and 999 and it still works, the number 08 is also an emergency number. there are maybe 60 people in our lectures, and not one has ever heard of 08.

anyway, one perosn rang it and it was picked up instantly asking "which emergency service do you require?". he hung up pronto... but for example even 999 has one or two rings of the phone before an operator answer, this was *instant*.

so, long story short, what is 08? is it the same as 999 or 112, or is it something secret and different? google seems to be throwing up nothing :confused:

Chris W
06-10-2004, 11:55
Never heard of it before myself, but it only works from mobiles...

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 11:57
seems it only works on the newer mobiles too. a friend has one of the older (pre-color screen) nokias and it doesnt work on that. but modern colour screen ones and so froth have it.... we are really confused... no one (even lecturers who are supposed to know everything) knows...

bopdude
06-10-2004, 11:59
seems it only works on the newer mobiles too. a friend has one of the older (pre-color screen) nokias and it doesnt work on that. but modern colour screen ones and so froth have it.... we are really confused... no one (even lecturers who are supposed to know everything) knows...
*Goes off to a mobile forum he's a member of to ask

zoombini
06-10-2004, 12:03
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/draft/sos/draft-ietf-sipping-sos-01.html

http://www.drliew.net/archives/001302.html

ian@huth
06-10-2004, 12:06
It seems odd that 08 can be used as an emergency services number. Just think about how many non emergency numbers start with 08, all the 0800, 0808,0845, etc numbers. If 08 is an emergency services number then I would have thought that they were getting thousands of non emergency calls every day.

Nemesis
06-10-2004, 12:15
http://www.aber.ac.uk/safety-environment/docs/public/emerg_nos_worldwide.pdf
http://www.sccfd.org/travel.html

zoombini
06-10-2004, 12:46
Well, it is at the bottom of the phone & easy to move from one to the other.
Problem is that you then have to press the "yes" button to accept it as an emergency call (SOS).

daxx
06-10-2004, 12:53
*Goes off to a mobile forum he's a member of to ask

<<<< Intriqued (sp!) and waiting for an answer or some further info from bopdude :sleep:

Chris W
06-10-2004, 13:24
It seems odd that 08 can be used as an emergency services number. Just think about how many non emergency numbers start with 08, all the 0800, 0808,0845, etc numbers. If 08 is an emergency services number then I would have thought that they were getting thousands of non emergency calls every day.

The reason that it only works on mobiles is because when you have dialed the number, you have to press the dial/ call button to connect so this should prevent people who are ringing full numbers starting 08 getting through ot the emergency services.

ian@huth
06-10-2004, 13:57
The reason that it only works on mobiles is because when you have dialed the number, you have to press the dial/ call button to connect so this should prevent people who are ringing full numbers starting 08 getting through ot the emergency services.Some people (my wife for example) press the call button before dialling the number.
Apparantly the 08 number is used for emergency calls in Mexico (soon to be replaced by a 3 digit number) and is included in the default set of emergency numbers in mobile phones for when the phone cannot find the list of usable emergency numbers that it should use.

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 14:01
all well and good but i'm not in mexico ;)

pop80_uk
06-10-2004, 14:37
From what I understand it is a remote code for 999. Ie you can use some CTRL-C etc controls to control parts of your PC. New EPROM chips which enable MMS and enhanced features should all jhave this feature. There are many keypad shortcuts which are used for testing. They will never all be known.

Why posts have been deleted is also very odd.
Hope this helps.

Halcyon
06-10-2004, 14:45
999 and 112 emergency numbers can be dialed even without a SIM card in the mobile phone.

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 14:47
yeah thats magick, it just latches on to the first network it finds... still none the wiser waht happened around post 11 though :shrug:

bob_builder
06-10-2004, 14:50
Some people (my wife for example) press the call button before dialling the number.
I have never come across a mobile that lets you press call before dialing a number (though that does not mean they do not exist). If I press call on my phone before dialing it brings up a list of previously dial numbers to chose from. But I thought the number was sent to the network digitally rather than using DTMF like a landline, in any case.

bob_builder
06-10-2004, 14:52
999 and 112 emergency numbers can be dialed even without a SIM card in the mobile phone.
yeah thats magick, it just latches on to the first network it finds... still none the wiser waht happened around post 11 though :shrug:
But, AFAIK, no UK network supports this feature and the call just gets dropped. :eh:

Nemesis
06-10-2004, 15:31
still none the wiser waht happened around post 11 though :shrug:
All evidence of Nemmy's little mistake have now been removed ;)

nffc
06-10-2004, 15:34
Ok, everyone knows about 999 and 112. but today in out lecture (bored as usual) we discovered that while our mobiles have the keylock on, in a similar fashion to pushing 112 and 999 and it still works, the number 08 is also an emergency number. there are maybe 60 people in our lectures, and not one has ever heard of 08.

anyway, one perosn rang it and it was picked up instantly asking "which emergency service do you require?". he hung up pronto... but for example even 999 has one or two rings of the phone before an operator answer, this was *instant*.

so, long story short, what is 08? is it the same as 999 or 112, or is it something secret and different? google seems to be throwing up nothing :confused:
OK, so what subject are you doing that doesn't have 50 mins solid writing per lecture- like ours do (especially if they've typed onto acetate and you have to write it down before they pull it off again :() so you have time to
- discover an 08 number dials the ES
- RING it
- ASK everyone if they've heard of it.

Clearly, I'm on the wrong course :(

Chris
06-10-2004, 16:02
Ah ... your friend doesn't have a penchant for full-length black coats and sunglasses by any chance? Or offered you a choice of blue or red pills recently?

:D

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 16:06
OK, so what subject are you doing that doesn't have 50 mins solid writing per lecture- like ours do (especially if they've typed onto acetate and you have to write it down before they pull it off again :() so you have time to
- discover an 08 number dials the ES
- RING it
- ASK everyone if they've heard of it.

Clearly, I'm on the wrong course :(
that would be a module called "Analytical Techniques for Mechanical Engineering". here at birmingham we aren't stuck in the dark ages, all the lecture notes are displayed on powerpoint presentations, they are all stored on WebCT (look it up if you are curious) and we can print them out for future use, which means writing nothing. this was two hours into a three hour lecture, it was "tutorial" time so that was basically sit and talk for an hour :)

Dave Stones
06-10-2004, 16:07
Ah ... your friend doesn't have a penchant for full-length black coats and sunglasses by any chance? Or offered you a choice of blue or red pills recently?

:D
you get offered pills all the time at uni.... luckily though, no offers have come from someone in the leather coat and sungless get-up yet..... :erm:

:notopic:

Chris
06-10-2004, 16:15
that would be a module called "Analytical Techniques for Mechanical Engineering". here at birmingham we aren't stuck in the dark ages, all the lecture notes are displayed on powerpoint presentations, they are all stored on WebCT (look it up if you are curious) and we can print them out for future use, which means writing nothing. this was two hours into a three hour lecture, it was "tutorial" time so that was basically sit and talk for an hour :)
I can think of nothing worse. Taking notes is a very effective way of actually *learning* what you're being lectured on. Staring at a set of ppt slides and then being able to download them without even having to read them is quite shocking ... you'll pay for it when you come to do revision and you find you can't remember what the blayziz they were all about.

Sorry, OT rant there :D

nffc
06-10-2004, 16:17
How boring.

Ours do loads of different ways- writing on the board, acetates, powerpoint (with or without gaps in handouts) etc... even one we had earlier who writes out by hand and scans it in to powerpoint- why the hell?

Lectures suck- but unfortunately they're the only way you'll learn...

Shaun
06-10-2004, 16:27
Lectures suck- but unfortunately they're the only way you'll learn...

Not necessarily, I've never had a lecture in all my life and I'm geeing on o.k. with my degree. Our face to face tutorials are sat around the table with out Tutors who answer every and all questions we have. Their notes are (mostly) available on-line and the rest of the course is done wither from specially written (by the Uni) books or CD-Roms.

Never understood how anyone could learn from sitting there listening to someone talking at you and 50 other people, not the way I'd learn I'm afraid :)

nffc
06-10-2004, 17:49
Not necessarily, I've never had a lecture in all my life and I'm geeing on o.k. with my degree. Our face to face tutorials are sat around the table with out Tutors who answer every and all questions we have. Their notes are (mostly) available on-line and the rest of the course is done wither from specially written (by the Uni) books or CD-Roms.

Never understood how anyone could learn from sitting there listening to someone talking at you and 50 other people, not the way I'd learn I'm afraid :)
Yeah but what degree is that?

Shaun
06-10-2004, 17:59
Yeah but what degree is that?

Chemistry, my current modules are:

The molecular world (60 points)
Exploring the molecular world (10 points)
Our chemical environment (30 points)
Maths for science (10 points)
The fats of life (10 points)

Colin
06-10-2004, 18:25
I can think of nothing worse. Taking notes is a very effective way of actually *learning* what you're being lectured on. Staring at a set of ppt slides and then being able to download them without even having to read them is quite shocking ... you'll pay for it when you come to do revision and you find you can't remember what the blayziz they were all about.

Sorry, OT rant there :D
Nahhh, I've got the same thing as Dave where i print off the lecture notes before hand, it just means that you don't spend all your time copyingthe notes without actually listening to the lecturer explain what it actually means. Most people make there own notes next to it. It also means that if you miss a lecture then you are not missing the notes.

Oooops continuing the off topic thing. sorry.

nffc
06-10-2004, 21:38
Chemistry, my current modules are:

The molecular world (60 points)
Exploring the molecular world (10 points)
Our chemical environment (30 points)
Maths for science (10 points)
The fats of life (10 points)
What year / uni- I'm an undergrad chemist too lol.

Shaun
06-10-2004, 21:52
What year / uni- I'm an undergrad chemist too lol.

This is my second year out of 4, I could have done it over 3 but I need to do some volunteer work and stuff for my CV, when I get around to it. :erm: