PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot RSS and NTL Proxies

DVS
06-10-2004, 01:51
Hi,

Looks to me like the NTL transparent proxies may be causing me some grief with the Slashdot RSS feed. Slashdot restrict access to once every 30 minutes. Anything above that and your IP address gets banned. In the last two weeks I've been banned twice yet my RSS reader is set to refresh on an hourly. Now I either have extremely buggy software that is refreshing more regular than instructed or the NTL proxies are coming into play. My personal view is it's the later.

Anybody any solutions to this problem. I've contacted Slashdot but I don't expect they'll want to remove the 30 minute refresh restriction on all NTL proxies so I need to either get an NTL tech with the right knowledge/connections who can stop the proxying on the Slashdot RSS URL or find some other alternative.

Regards,

DVS

BBKing
06-10-2004, 07:26
Probably Slashdot's fault - they've actually done this before, they can't seem to tell the difference between a proxy IP and a client forwarded IP. In the past they've banned whole areas of ntl because one person on one proxy did something bannable and they took the lazy option of banning the proxy IP without checking.

DeadKenny
06-10-2004, 08:31
Still, wouldn't this be avoided by not having proxies in the first place? ;)