PDA

View Full Version : lost my modem!

bellskids
04-10-2004, 16:55
OK bit of a strange question but anyways my cable modem got lost somewhere during a houseparty. I think it may have been thrown out during the cleanup rather than being stolen. Anyone got any ideas as to whether NTL will simply issue me with a replacement?

paulyoung666
04-10-2004, 17:01
hi and :welcome: to the site , doubt it somehow :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

SMHarman
04-10-2004, 17:01
There was a thread on here a couple of days ago with someone demanding a new CM, NTL charge £50 (they cost £10! but only NTL can provision it). A replacement STB if you damaged it is £150.

paulyoung666
04-10-2004, 17:03
dont suppose you have thought about going to the tip and looking for it have you ????????? :D :D :D :D

homealone
04-10-2004, 17:04
:welcome: to Cable Forum, bellskids :wavey:

I think that has to take the award for the best laugh from a first post :rofl:

- can I come to your next party :cool:

Seriously, though, I'm not sure where you stand for a free replacement?

- although the modems don't cost very much, they may want to charge it as a callout, which afaik is £50.

- you may need to be more creative on how it went missing ;)

AsianMan
04-10-2004, 17:09
o lol man how did you achive losing something like a big silver builkey box anyway i dought they will give you for free unless you beg or are like a long long time customer but thats still a lont shot:)

bellskids
04-10-2004, 17:28
what sucks is the fact that ive only just transferred my account over to our new gaff. Ive still got my old terayon modem which is much better imo, anyways the MAC ID on that modem must have been disabled cos it stopped working the day the account was transferred. I havent even registered the new modem yet because the muppets at ntl failed to even indicate on my account that i was a broadband customer. How they could mess that up was beyond me. Anyways thats the reason that the modem wasnt connected up and was prone to being misplaced.

Thanks for the welcome btw guys :D

greencreeper
04-10-2004, 18:19
My modem was nicked and I still had to cough up £80 and claim it back later :(

Some party if you lost a modem :D

bellskids
04-10-2004, 18:37
another thing that ****es me off is that I actually bought the terayon modem a couple of years ago when ntl offered reduced service fee for those who owned rather than leased their modems. Now i cant use it grr

jtwn
04-10-2004, 20:50
Not that i doubt you but...you are telling me somebody took out the power, ethernet/usb and unscrewed the coax and then binned it?

I want some of what you were drinking :D

mmm
04-10-2004, 21:01
Ive still got my old terayon modem which is much better imo... :D

Nothing much wrong with the Terayon, plug it in, get and hands free phone and a good book and try to get it enabled...

paulyoung666
04-10-2004, 21:32
Not that i doubt you but...you are telling me somebody took out the power, ethernet/usb and unscrewed the coax and then binned it?

I want some of what you were drinking :D

read post #7 again ;) :D :D :D

jtwn
04-10-2004, 21:34
I feel such an idiot :( :D

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 00:29
Hang on, so you lost your Terayon CM? Not an NTL CM? Being as they have stopped the discount and you have not lost your property, claim yours stopped working and you threw it out (well you did!) and request the free NTL one that they are responsible for maintaining. :shrug:

ian@huth
05-10-2004, 00:34
Hang on, so you lost your Terayon CM? Not an NTL CM? Being as they have stopped the discount and you have not lost your property, claim yours stopped working and you threw it out (well you did!) and request the free NTL one that they are responsible for maintaining. :shrug:

I refer the honourable gentleman to post 12. ;) :D :D :D :D

Marge
05-10-2004, 00:35

Sorry but isn't there usually uproar if someone at NTL is thought to be lying

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 00:36
I refer the honourable gentleman to post 12. ;) :D :D :D :D
IRTHG2P7.
He seems still to have a Teryaon (my mistake, he lost the NTL CM120), ask to get that provisioned instead - job done. Nothing to worry about until the end of the contract and they will in all likelyhood bother to ask for the CM back (as they cost £10 -IRTHG2P3).

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 00:38
Sorry but isn't there usually uproar if someone at NTL is thought to be lying
Yes there is and nobody has lied so far. Post 1 even asks what do I do?
If this customer has thrown out NTL property :nono: , can he use his Terayon instead?

BarFly
05-10-2004, 00:52
ok long shot, but worth a try, if they set you up as a house move & you havent reg'd the cable modem since the housemove, you could try this.......as i said a long shot but may work,

plug in the terayon, should pick up an ip ending in +248, as it wont be registered ( ie has been removed ), try to browse to this website :

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/housemove

will need username & password of main email account, though this will only work if you have been set up for a housemove.

Worth a try...& try not to lose the terayon aswell ;)

Ps...if it does work, im expecting an invite to the next party :)

bellskids
05-10-2004, 02:37
yes i still have the terayon modem. The silver cheap looking NTL one is what ive lost. When you say call up and get it provisioned what do you mean?

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 08:23
yes i still have the terayon modem. The silver cheap looking NTL one is what ive lost. When you say call up and get it provisioned what do you mean? Provisioned = registered on the network to "provide" your service.

BarFly has this one nailed, try his suggestion.

Scarlett
05-10-2004, 08:48
IRTHG2P7.
He seems still to have a Teryaon (my mistake, he lost the NTL CM120), ask to get that provisioned instead - job done. Nothing to worry about until the end of the contract and they will in all likelyhood bother to ask for the CM back (as they cost £10 -IRTHG2P3).

Finally managed to get my service cancelled, asked when they wanted to pick up the modem and the guy told me that I was 'Free to do with it what I wanted' as they wouldn't be collecting it!

It's a pity there so light, otherwise I could at least have a door stop :D

SMHarman
05-10-2004, 09:08
Finally managed to get my service cancelled, asked when they wanted to pick up the modem and the guy told me that I was 'Free to do with it what I wanted' as they wouldn't be collecting it!

It's a pity there so light, otherwise I could at least have a door stop :D
Perhaps you should stick it in the post to the OP and save him £50!

bellskids
05-10-2004, 13:22
does anyone have an alternative number for the broadband guys at ntl. The people they have on the phones are usually remedial at best, I wanna speak to someone who is at least a little savvy. Has anyone else ever had an old modem reprovisioned? I dont understand why they made me change modems in the first place. This is all so frustrating.

Also to make things worse I cant try bar flys recommendation as I dont have a username and password. Originally the account I transferred was in my fathers name, then a couple years ago when I moved out he had it transferred into my name. The only usernames and passwords we ever had were for 2 old dialup accounts (we had 2 ntl lines so ended up with 2 0800 User/Passes). When I first got broadband the "installer" was simply phone up some number and tell the guy your MAC address lol no users or passes etc... so much hassle.... :(

bellskids
05-10-2004, 13:30
ive just had another thought. Can I simply run the broadband installer whilst my terayon is connected? Ive got a letter with the PIN and Serial Number for the new installation. Are they locked to a specific modem? Or is it simply a case of them sending out any old modem(and therefore mac id)?

bellskids
05-10-2004, 20:08
bump

daxx
05-10-2004, 20:44
just try it and see if it works

simpsonsFAN
05-10-2004, 20:48
ive just had another thought. Can I simply run the broadband installer whilst my terayon is connected? Ive got a letter with the PIN and Serial Number for the new installation. Are they locked to a specific modem? Or is it simply a case of them sending out any old modem(and therefore mac id)?
have you tried the normal autoreg page on the old modem?, as you never regestered the new one, the peice of paper you got that had all you pin number and stuff on, should still let you regester the old one again.

goto the normal autoreg page (the non-moving house one) on the terayon
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cablereg .

Its a very long shot, but it might just work.

-Chris

bellskids
06-10-2004, 02:12
woot the plan worked. The normal autoreg process detected the modem as a terayon but didnt complain. its registered and im now back online :D

Thanks for the help guys its been much appreciated. I bet that I find that modem now that the problem is solved :lol