PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing

Jerrek
13-08-2003, 19:04
OK I need some help.

How do you interview someone? I need to interview several prominent businessmen about socio-economic conditions in Africa, and I've never done such an interview before. I've done some interviews with students that applied for work (and I reviewed the resumes and did the interviewing), but never an interview like this.

Is there any specific rules and guidelines that anyone can give me? I need to publish it in the school newspaper.... Help.

Gogogo
13-08-2003, 19:51
Originally posted by Jerrek
OK I need some help.

How do you interview someone? I need to interview several prominent businessmen about socio-economic conditions in Africa, and I've never done such an interview before. I've done some interviews with students that applied for work (and I reviewed the resumes and did the interviewing), but never an interview like this.

Is there any specific rules and guidelines that anyone can give me? I need to publish it in the school newspaper.... Help.

Complex subject this, hope this helps:

Firstly, do you know anything about socio-economic conditions in Africa?

Secondly, thorough research by you is important, and have do you have real time experience in Africa an advantage, with research then you will know what answers you want based on questions designed by you based on your knowledge.

1. So, research thoroughly in advance.

2. Angle, any article for publishing must have an angle, the hinge of what you are trying to illustrate.

3. Be professional, businesslike, friendly, courteous & polite to your interviewees.

4. Venue better in the interviewees home to make them feel at ease.

5. Take charge from the beginning. You control the shape of the interview, you know what information you need.

6. Use your eyes. note your interviewees body language, how they dress, how they interact with others. Note the books they have on their shelves, any objects on display.

7. Avoid any debate. Avoid talking too much after all you want answers to your questions.

8. Ask open ended questions careful phrasing of questions may invite your interviewee to open up and talk in their own words. Avoid questions which beg a yes or no response.

9. Don't forget vital details. have a mental checklist ensure names are spelt correctly, note any official title.

10. Don't agree to show your interviewee the article it's unprofessional and may invite problems. Say it's not editorial policy to show the article before publication.

11. Don't pay for an interview, if asked walk away, but this is not likely.

Then think about:

facts, opinions anecdotes.

Consider when you write;

Standfirsts. News angle. Human interest.

:spin:

Ramrod
13-08-2003, 19:54
Looks good, but whats a 'standfirst'?

danielf
13-08-2003, 20:07
Good points. I agree that preparation is very important. You need to know what you want to know from this person.

With respect to the interview itself, nodding, saying hmhm, and 'parotting' can be very useful. You do not want to exaggerate this, but if you occasionally repeat the last words of the interviewee's sentence (as if asking a question), they will often elaborate on what they said.

I don't agree about not showing the article. After all, it is only a school news paper, and I think the interviewee has the right to check whether there are blatant errors in it. Then again, he/she may not ask...

Gogogo
13-08-2003, 20:11
Originally posted by Ramrod
Looks good, but whats a 'standfirst'?

Ok, standfirst is the device to introduce a feature, puts it into context, one develops a knack for this. Establishes the topicality.

Here goes. top of my head, topicality of Nepad;

Nepad, has nothing to do with knee problems but has everything to do with constructive policies to assist African states to alleviate poverty.

The above is an illustration, although, I might think twice about actually using the first part of the sentence since it might be misinterpreted as comic, which is not the intention.

One other point. Although it's a schools newspaper, act the part, dress smartly create a profesional approach to your interviewee, you never know he might even offer you a job!

:spin:

Ramrod
13-08-2003, 20:15
Originally posted by Gogogo
Ok, standfirst is the device to introduce a feature, puts it into context, one develops a knack for this. Establishes the topicality.

Here goes. top of my head, topicality of Nepad;

Nepad, has nothing to do with knee problems but has everything to do with constructive policies to assist African states to alleviate poverty.

The above is an illustration, although, I might think twice about actually using the first part of the sentence since it might be misinterpreted as comic, which is not the intention.

:spin: Tnx....u learn something new every day:)

Ramrod
13-08-2003, 20:20
I would have thought that knowledge is power in interviews. If your knowledge base is lacking then the interviewee can walk all over you. If you are shaky on a subject then limit the scope of the interview and swot up on that narrow area, maximising your potential to extract quality information from the interviewee.
Of course, only having interviewed staff before I could be talking out of my....:D

Gogogo
13-08-2003, 20:54
Me again just a few extra notes;

Jerreck

Research on not only African socio economics but also the businesses, the companies your business personnel represent. How much trade do they do? What do they do? Where in Africa? Your interviewee may even offer to provide more up to date information statistics etc.

Also depends on the amount of words your editor wants.

Look at feature articles in available quality newspapers and particularly interviews, any published interviews, these may help. You should find ample material on the Internet locally.

Re: Point 6 alows a possible human angle on your interviewee: hobbies, family life etc allows readers to focus on the human qualities of the interviewee.

:eek: