PDA

View Full Version : Autumn holiday

Bifta
04-10-2004, 10:27
I'm looking to get away somewhere for a week before the end of October, somewhere sunny, warm and not overly expensive. Anyone have any recommendations?

Julian
04-10-2004, 10:33
The last week of October is 1/2 term for alot of kids... so it will be more expensive then. ;)

As for where to go - The Canaries. :Sun:

Bifta
04-10-2004, 10:34
I'd pretty much narrowed it down to the Canaries, just not sure where exactly.

Nemesis
04-10-2004, 10:35
Gran Canaria .... very nice :D

Julian
04-10-2004, 10:37
Some Offers (http://www.teletextholidays.co.uk/OfferSearchesAndResults/holiday_offers_search_results.asp?Date=11/10/2004&DestID=10118&Find=&Duration=7-7&BoardType=0&DateRange=3-3&Price1=0&Price2=0&AirportID=10&Adult=2&Child=0&SearchType=2&area=overseas&Sort=0) :)

bopdude
04-10-2004, 10:38
I'd pretty much narrowed it down to the Canaries, just not sure where exactly.I dont know about it not being expensive anymore, the g/f and myself were there begining of the year, March ish, managed to spend £900.00 in a week between us, not including the price of the holiday :Yikes: but we are looking to do the same thing, a week away at the end of the month somewhere ??

Looking at all inclusive this time though.;)

EDIT: just had a look at the temps for Tenerife for today Highs of 28 and lows of 22 link (http://weather.virgin.net/get_world_weather.php?region=Europe&countryCode=CR&city=590&town=Las%20Palmas) Virgin weather :tu: nice and warm

Jon M
04-10-2004, 10:47
Anywhere in Greece but preferably the more southern islands, great weather, cheap food.
Shouldn't have to pay out more than £800 for the two of you all in (including food)

gary_580
04-10-2004, 11:09
Portugal (algarve)? Went there for christmas 2002 and spent christmas day out in the sun walking the beaches etc. So i assume that it would be warmer 2 months earlier

bopdude
04-10-2004, 11:14
Portugal (algarve)? Went there for christmas 2002 and spent christmas day out in the sun walking the beaches etc. So i assume that it would be warmer 2 months earlierWent there 2 years ago September, lashed it down from the moment we got there to the moment we left with a 1 hour break one afternoon, didn't bother us that much though.............. we were on a stag 5 days so all we wanted to see were the bars on ' the strip ' :beer: :drunk: :D

gary_580
04-10-2004, 11:27
Went there 2 years ago September, lashed it down fromthe moment we got there to the moment we left with a 1 hour break one afternoon, didn't bother us that much though.............. we were on a stag 5 days so all we wanted to see were the bars on ' the strip ' :beer: :drunk: :D

Did you mean "The bars AND the strip" ;)

Bifta
04-10-2004, 11:45
Thanks for all your help, just waiting for it to dawn on the doll from Going Places what the telephone looks like so she can actually call me back.

bopdude
04-10-2004, 11:48
Did you mean "The bars AND the strip" ;)
Well you know, whats one without the other :p:

ian@huth
04-10-2004, 12:04
We have had a few very cheap holidays at that time of year from the Mytravel auction site http://www.uk.mytravel.com . Go to the site and, click on auctions and have a search around. Best value we had was 7 days in the Canaries which cost us £42 for the two of us (£21 each) including flights, transfers and SC accomodation which was excellent. These days though you have to add on transfers, in flight meals, tickets on demand and credit card charges which can add up to a fair amount.

gary_580
04-10-2004, 13:04
Thanks for all your help, just waiting for it to dawn on the doll from Going Places what the telephone looks like so she can actually call me back.

I've used www.lastminute.com a couple of times and its always been a success in terms of price and a good holiday.

orangebird
04-10-2004, 13:20
www.latedeals.com are great too.

If it is the Canaries you're decided on, I've been to five of them, and Lanzarote is the best. Playa Blanca is beautiful :) :cool:

etccarmageddon
04-10-2004, 14:06
We have had a few very cheap holidays at that time of year from the Mytravel auction site http://www.uk.mytravel.com . Go to the site and, click on auctions and have a search around. Best value we had was 7 days in the Canaries which cost us £42 for the two of us (£21 each) including flights, transfers and SC accomodation which was excellent. These days though you have to add on transfers, in flight meals, tickets on demand and credit card charges which can add up to a fair amount.

mytravel are an unpleasant experience to fly with. you have been warned! check the customer reviews! I read some online recently and they match my experiences. they used to be airtours.

ian@huth
04-10-2004, 14:17
mytravel are an unpleasant experience to fly with. you have been warned! check the customer reviews! I read some online recently and they match my experiences. they used to be airtours.

Have flown with them several times and they have always been OK. The problem with reviews is that more people are liable to post about bad experiences than about good ones. If you have watched programs like "Airport" you will have to admit that many customers problems were their own fault rather than the airlines. I would imagine that every airline under the sun has had customers who have said they are the worst airline out and you should never use them

Bifta
26-10-2004, 11:59
After sitting in endless queues on the phone to be told that the price I saw on the respective web site's wasn't what you actually paid (some of them were in fact nearly double the price when you add transfers, booking fee's, named accomodation etc) I went to Going Places and booked a week in Playa Blanca for Nov. 8th.

Question is, where on earth can I find some form of footwear for the beach at this time of year? All the local shoe shops are out of summer stock completely :(

danielf
26-10-2004, 12:04
After sitting in endless queues on the phone to be told that the price I saw on the respective web site's wasn't what you actually paid (some of them were in fact nearly double the price when you add transfers, booking fee's, named accomodation etc) I went to Going Places and booked a week in Playa Blanca for Nov. 8th.

Question is, where on earth can I find some form of footwear for the beach at this time of year? All the local shoe shops are out of summer stock completely :(

I'm sure you'll be able to find something at your destination.

Chris
26-10-2004, 12:04
I'd guess you'll be able to find some touristy place once you're there that sells that sort of stuff.

Graham
26-10-2004, 16:21

Do you have any local discount stores or ones that sell "remaindered" stock?

Alternatively I'm sure it would be available online.

Halcyon
27-10-2004, 16:23
Im off on an autumn holiday to Austria next month.
Total cost is going to be £30.47 - on Ryan Air.
You can get some great deals.

A little question.... Does anyone know if you have got to be there 2 hours early at Stanstead airport ?
My train would mean Im 40 minutes late; or else Ive got to get the train before and that means sitting waiting for my flight for nearly 3 hours.

Bifta
27-10-2004, 16:24

A little question.... Does anyone know if you have got to be there 2 hours early at Stanstead airport ?
My train would mean Im 40 minutes late; or else Ive got to get the train before and that means sitting waiting for my flight for nearly 3 hours.

No you don't need to be there 2 hours early.

gazzae
27-10-2004, 16:35
Ages since I flew with Ryanair, but from memory their check-in closes 40 minutes before the flight.

orangebird
27-10-2004, 16:40
Ages since I flew with Ryanair, but from memory their check-in closes 40 minutes before the flight.

Correct. :)

Chris
27-10-2004, 17:15

You don't have to be there 2 hours in advance of a domestic or European flight, but what are you going to do if your train is delayed by half an hour and you get there less than an hour before take-off? If I were you, I'd be getting the earlier train and packing an extra book in my cabin baggage. :)

Graham
27-10-2004, 18:45

An important point to note about many of the Low Cost Carriers is that if they say the check-in closes 40 minutes before the flight, they mean *exactly* 40 minutes! They make their money by having a very rapid turn around and if they miss their departure slot, it's coming out of their slim margins.

So if you turn up *one minute* late, no matter if it was traffic or the wife being taken to hospital, it's tough, you've missed the flight and you *won't* get a refund, you'll have to buy a new ticket.

Be warned!

Shaun
27-10-2004, 19:14
Do you have any local discount stores or ones that sell "remaindered" stock?

Alternatively I'm sure it would be available online.

Debenhams have a sale of summer stock at the moment, as do many of the other high street stores. May be worth a look.

I also run any price by my local travel agent as they'll normally beat it by ten or twenty quid just to get the business. :)

Halcyon
27-10-2004, 23:18
You don't have to be there 2 hours in advance of a domestic or European flight, but what are you going to do if your train is delayed by half an hour and you get there less than an hour before take-off? If I were you, I'd be getting the earlier train and packing an extra book in my cabin baggage. :)

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Think I'l play it safe and take my discman with me, and a good magazine to pass time.