PDA

View Full Version : Resetting PPV

Salu
13-08-2003, 16:07
I had an engineer round the other day and he informed me that some people had found a way of opening their STB and could then reset the PPV meter to zero....hence getting free movies.

I would never do this or advocate it but I was interested in whether anyone had heard of this and if it were true? I thought PPV was a server and not a client side service, if you see what I mean?

Obviously if anyone knows how to do it then they should not post it.....

Derek
13-08-2003, 16:42
You can 'chip' your digital box to stop PPV events being recorded on your bill but the main downsides are.

If your box goes faulty or you leave Ntl when they recondition your box they will find it's been tampered with leaving you open to possible legal action and the cost of a new digibox.

It involves stopping the return path of the PPV section of the STB and can be detected on the network.

Lord Nikon
13-08-2003, 18:55
you are probably better off getting a decent p2p program and a Kiss DP-450 DVD player.... download the movies in DivX or Xvid format, burn them to CD as a data disc and play them in the kiss.

magpie
13-08-2003, 20:18
:rolleyes:

You're probably better off paying for the movies you want to watch.

Salu
14-08-2003, 15:56
You misunderstood me.

I don't watch PPV. I was just intrigued by the concept of the process being allowed/disallowed at the box end and not NTL's end.

DVD is far superior and it irritates me that I can't pause the movie if I am interrupted.

SMHarman
14-08-2003, 15:57
A friend of mine had a poor install and hit the credit limit. Called CS and they reset the box and wiped the movies. They did this a couple of times before the made him press the help key, find out there was no return path and sent an engineer around.

Salu
14-08-2003, 16:01
Originally posted by SMHarman
A friend of mine had a poor install and hit the credit limit. Called CS and they reset the box and wiped the movies. They did this a couple of times before the made him press the help key, find out there was no return path and sent an engineer around.

Interpretation?

SMHarman
14-08-2003, 17:41
Que?

His was a legal, though obviously not competent install. No tweaking boxes etc.