PDA

View Full Version : The truth about milk ??

bopdude
03-10-2004, 08:49
Is this really how we treat livestock ???

Warning, not the most pleasant reading link (http://www.milksucks.com/index2.html)

and, Milk causes ' serious illness for 7m Britons ' link (http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health/story.jsp?story=417759)

And I'm reading this drinking my tea,makes you think :scratch:

aliferste
03-10-2004, 09:39
In all the farms that I walk through to go fishing the milk cows look happy and well fed. I suppose there are always bad apples in any business.
Its been well known for years that milk is not good for you. I just take it in tea and the occasional serial. As much as i like it i would never have a full glass of it these days.
A glass of fat please ...ugh!

bopdude
03-10-2004, 09:58
In all the farms that I walk through to go fishing the milk cows look happy and well fed.
Well it was taken from a U.S. site but thats not to say it doesn't happen here ??? Not that i'm saying it does ;)

marina
03-10-2004, 14:21
Reading the first link doesn't surprise me..... but that's more to do with it not being impartial. Nevertheless i don't doubt for a second that, thanks to food production being linked to the economy, that maltreatment of livestock occurs all over the world. This again leads to those bad practices having effect on human health further down the line, as seen in many cases, BSE being only one.

I don't drink milk..... haven't for years. I actually don't like the taste...... been known to call it 'rancid cow juice'... but that's not why i don't drink it.
I've been drawn to it many times in the past for health reasons...... my attempt to get more calcium into my system. But my body tells me that it doesn't like it :shrug:
If i have milk on cereal for breakfast then after a couple of days i begin to feel really ill. I won't go into details but i have to stop drinking it or my body tells me that i'm doing the wrong thing. I wasn't born with this intolerance..... it started about 15 yrs ago. It is worrying to read that more and more people are becoming allergic/intolerant to the food products that are being supplied to us, mostly in pre-packaged form.
There's obviously a connection but is the money making machine too big and powerful for us to halt it before it's too late?
Is it that people don't really care about what's happening to them/being done to them or it is more that we feel that we have to trust those that are ultimately responsible for our future? Do we have a choice? Are we too keen to abdicate responsibility for our own health?

Whatever the answers...... it's still a worry.

Maggy
03-10-2004, 15:56
So if we believe all this about milk being bad for us where are we to get the calcium that our children DO need? :erm:

I'm sorry but reading the first article I'm wondering just how unbiased the writer was to begin with and the second link I can't read it unless I'm prepared to pay a subscription.Not going to happen. :rolleyes:

I think that someone has forgotten that milk need not be fatty.Semi skimmed is perfectly adequate and I personally prefer skimmed.I as a mature woman need my daily intake of calcium to prevent further health problems as I'm entering my menapausal period of my life.I've never suffered from any milk intolerance and neither have my family.Let the 7 million give up milk :rolleyes:

If you don't like milk don't drink it but lets not start a campaign against those of us who do.It is NOT my fault that some farmers are treating their animals badly, it is the farmers who do so who are the criminals.Go shout at them!! :rolleyes:

Incog.Fed up with the debate always centering on my being at fault because I like and eat certain foods.