PDA

View Full Version : Leeds packet loss

ktbken
01-10-2004, 11:16
Has anyone else had packet loss problems in the Leeds area over the last few days? It only seems to affect certain routes via certain core routers. At the moment I am getting 70% packet lose to any routes that use 80.0.241.33. yet 80.0.241.169 is fine ?

Thanks

melt
01-10-2004, 12:23
I'm getting gobs of packet loss everywhere I try to get to from home in Leeds at the moment. I can just-about ping home from Uni in Leeds, and actually connecting in takes 2-3 minutes. It's awful and I hope it gets better...

Nemesis
01-10-2004, 12:27
As part of the ongoing project to maintain and upgrade our cable network, there is a requirement to carry out work on components which may result in a loss of service for the duration.

On the morning of Tuesday 28th Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Customers in Ipswich, Charminster, Bedford, Flitwick, Shepshed and Rutherglen will lose service due to local network upgrades.

On the morning of Thursday 30th Sept between midnight and 6am, the following work will take place:-

Due to various network maintenance upgrades, Ntl broadband internet customers may experience a loss of service in the Nottingham, Leeds, Andover, Warwick, Londonderry, and Papworth areas.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience these planned works may cause

melt
01-10-2004, 12:32
issue from NTL status page That ticket was closed yesterday afternoon...

ktbken
01-10-2004, 13:23
Nemesis
Are you saying that the work is still ongoing even though the call was closed yesterday? or do you just suspect that is the problem.

melt

Funnily enough I work at Leeds Uni and it is one of the only palces I can get to from home :rolleyes:

Nemesis
01-10-2004, 13:28
I know the ticket was closed .... but is it a coincedence that you have still got problems ??

ktbken
01-10-2004, 15:13
I suspect not.

But there have been quite a few problems on the network in Leeds recently. I and other people in the area lost connection completely for 2 days a couple of weeks ago due to a hardware fault. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s since then that this packet loss problem has started. Some times itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s all right and others like now and all day last Sunday itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s useless. Have rung CS they are there usual helpful selves and no nothing about the problem. :mad:

greencreeper
01-10-2004, 19:32
My modem has problems at the mo - sometimes the sync light goes off but the connection is fine :erm:, and other times the rdy light goes and the connection, er, isn't fine :D I can't be bothered dealing with NTL. If it gets worse I'll bite the bullet and play the rebooting game.

Which areas of Leeds? It's chav central, so chances are one of the little *******s has been in a cabinet.

ktbken
01-10-2004, 21:36
Which areas of Leeds? It's chav central, so chances are one of the little *******s has been in a cabinet.
LS17 and its still running at more than 70% packet loss. Look like no online games for me again :(

lossypings
01-10-2004, 21:37
Hi,
Exactly the same problems here, approx 50% packet loss when passing to/through one particular router.

leed-t2core-a-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.41) 100% ok
leed-t2core-a-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.33) 50%'ish packet loss
leed-t2core-b-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.161) 100% ok
leed-t2core-b-ge-wan64.inet.ntl.com (80.0.241.169) 100% ok

So depending on where I want to head to, it'll either be fine, or very lossy.

Unfortunatley, where I want to go for gaming, is on the lossy router :(

Loads of ping plots to validate the above, is it worth sending them anywhere ?
Is it even worth ringing and moaning ?

This happenned last year to me, and after about 2 weeks of messing around (and being told it wasnt at NTL's end) the problem one day cured 'itself', and has been great since.

Oh well, <prays to the God of broadband for another self healing miracle>

greencreeper
01-10-2004, 21:40
LS17 and its still running at more than 70% packet loss. Look like no online games for me again :(
Posh area then - chav free :D

ktbken
01-10-2004, 21:48
Posh area then - chav free :DI wish :D

Same router here 80.0.241.33 and also somtimes 80.0.241.41
For info if you want a good program to check routes graphically (you may be using it allready) you can get one for free called pingplotter which graphs the loss on each route.
All ready tried CS no joy dont seem to undersand that it may be a problem on the network and not my computer. :rolleyes:

lossypings
01-10-2004, 22:25
Yup, already using Pingplotter (lovely prog).
Also in LS17.

I'm not having any problem at all with the .41, but I must admit I havent done any long term plots of that one, just concentrating on the .33.

I guess I'll report the error too, I suppose these things work on a critical mass effect. There is a presumption there is nothing wrong until many people complain about the same thing, and then it becomes a problem, which is then solved.

quickly
01-10-2004, 22:56
I phoned NTL earlier today as i'm having the same problems in York (goes via Leeds routers). After an hour on hold the technican told me that 'they have some strange problems going on this morning'.

When i phoned back later they had added a message to the customer service line outlining that technicans were aware of problems and were trying to fix it.

How long does it take to fix a dodgy router???

As an aside, packet loss for me began shortly after midnight last night/this morning.

BBKing
01-10-2004, 23:11
41 and 33 are the same routers. I spotted a bizarre problem first thing this morning with some of my kit that talks to Leeds, so it looks like a networks problem. Checking the same report now shows similar issues, so I'll need to get it raised anyway - I'll mention that customers are reporting problems too, and that it may be related to the routing issue that came up earlier (which wasn't ntl's fault, incidentally).

lossypings
01-10-2004, 23:12
Hmm, listening to that message now, whilst I'm on hold in the queue. Why Oh Why, if they can put up a recorded message, don't they update their on-line status page ?

They list a large number of LS postcodes (including LS17) that have a problem (although they don't actually say what it is)

I'd be reasonably happy knowing that there is a problem, aprrox what it is (or what the effects are) and that they are working on resolving it.

Oh, just got through and spoken to somebody, he says there is a problem, and it is being worked on, but can't explain what the problem is or why the on-line status page isn't being updated.

Guess it's an early night then, and hopefully fixed by tomorrow.

quickly
01-10-2004, 23:22
Incidentally what is the address for the status page?

ktbken
01-10-2004, 23:24
41 and 33 are the same routers. I spotted a bizarre problem first thing this morning with some of my kit that talks to Leeds, so it looks like a networks problem. Checking the same report now shows similar issues, so I'll need to get it raised anyway - I'll mention that customers are reporting problems too, and that it may be related to the routing issue that came up earlier (which wasn't ntl's fault, incidentally).
Thanks for looking into it for us.

Salu
01-10-2004, 23:28
I'm running at 30% packet loss from Leeds 8

ktbken
01-10-2004, 23:33
Incidentally what is the address for the status page?
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

link also on nthell front page

quickly
01-10-2004, 23:34
Thanks - that's appreciated

Quicksilver
02-10-2004, 00:17
Don't bother looking at the service status page, it's as much use as a chocolate teapot. On the many occasions that I have had problems with Ntl broadband, there is rarely anything on the status page. When you phone Faults, you eventually get to a message telling you that there is a known fault (as today there is a NATIONAL fault) that they are working on. I get sick of complaining about unreliable service and am seriously thinking of kicking Ntl out, lock stock and barrel. Having read some of the forum threads, it seems even that is not straightforward.
When things are running right, it's pretty good but thats not saying much cos it aint right that often. Anyway, thats my moan over.
SERVICE STATUS PAGE......... Seldom up to date. :mad:
Oh and by the way, I've been getting packet loss up to 50% over the last 2 days. Having to connect through a proxy server at the moment to get anything like reliable internet connection. :mad: :mad: :mad: .

quickly
02-10-2004, 11:36
All is well this morning for me.

Can reach any site without an issue from York. :)

UK JAX
02-10-2004, 12:47
i have no problems connecting to any site from york.
i can get back to online gaming now :)

ktbken
02-10-2004, 16:27
Same here :) lets hope it stays that way.

Spoke to soon :( not getting any packet loss but am getting very big spikes in ping times ( 350ms +) on the same router.

Quicksilver
02-10-2004, 19:10
Dropped the proxy server today and am connecting to the internet ok. Ping times a bit erratic especially to east coast USA, Asia and Australia. Packet loss ok. How long till next problem day is anyone's guess.

Fingers crossed. If another cable operator was available I would have changed ISP already. What happened to "Monopolies commision"? when the only operator available in the area is Ntl, surely thats a monopoly? Telewest cannot supply this area because it's in the Ntl franchise area. Monopoly???? :dozey:

Ignition
02-10-2004, 21:58
Issues fixed, be happy :)

Ping times likely to be erratic to the places you mention, a lot of fibre, a lot of transmission kit and a lot of routers and switches along the way!

Cable operators were given monopolies as part of their licenses no monopoly related activity involved, they now no longer have them. Anyone who wants to build in an ntl area can feel free to go ahead and do this as far as I know. Any takers?

As far as alternatives go, there's ADSL for those who can receive it over a BT line, for those who can't there's satellite. Maybe not the tastiest alternatives but that's the way it is sadly. Cable is a natural monopoly throughout the world, North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australasia.

BBKing
02-10-2004, 22:56
Fingers crossed. If another cable operator was available I would have changed ISP already. What happened to "Monopolies commision"? when the only operator available in the area is Ntl, surely thats a monopoly? Telewest cannot supply this area because it's in the Ntl franchise area. Monopoly????

Not at all. Let's see what would happen if the MMC were daft enough to make such a decision:

Intra-cable competition (where multiple companies can compete on the same infrastructure) would be about as successful as intra-rail competition (as in rail privatisation, which has given me the same number of operators from my local station (1) but at vastly increased cost). New entrants laying their own cables would be prohibitively expensive and uncompetitive without the new entrant being subsidised (by the taxpayer) or ntl shackled in some way (which would probably benefit the monopolist BT more than anyone).

Finally, there is already intermodal competition between ADSL and cable in practically all areas where cable is available, so ntl certainly don't have a monopoly.

muk13
02-10-2004, 23:10
Normally, the connection here in LS9 is fairly reliable......

but the last few days have been very poor indeed!

Tried cs, after wasting nearly two hours on 3 seperate calls-decided to give up.

Back to normal now though