PDA

View Full Version : Do STB users get upgraded on 1st Oct ?

scoobydoo[uk]
29-09-2004, 09:32
Its been a couple of months now since modem users had their speed upgrade, according to the NTL website, Settop box users will be getting the upgrade in October, does anyone know if this is going to take place on the 1st, or will it be towards the end of the month?.

Hopefully most people have had their boxes swapped out now for the new samsungs.

Nemesis
29-09-2004, 09:33
As I understand it, it will happen this month, WHEN all the old boxes have been replaced ...

Paul
29-09-2004, 09:51
I think it's incredibly unlikely that they will all be done on Oct 1st.

Even if every box has been replaced and they are ready, it's likely to be a phased turn on, not an 'all at once' job.

andrew_wallasey
29-09-2004, 10:54
They have finished upgrading the boxes up here, I was being told the other day.

BIGZIPZ
29-09-2004, 10:57
Nag and get a modem :/ Got mine last week and straight onto 1.5Mb

BBKing
29-09-2004, 11:11
does anyone know if this is going to take place on the 1st, or will it be towards the end of the month?.

The latter. Although a large number of swaps have happened, there's still some work to do there and the actual change needs fitting into the programme of network upgrades.

Fireplace
29-09-2004, 19:54
As I understand it, it will happen this month, WHEN all the old boxes have been replaced ...

What's this about boxes being replaced?

I have my original STB that provides me with my broadband access, I've had it since I had NTL digi TV installed at the end of 1999.

Doing speed tests it looks like my 600k connection has already been boosted to 750k.

Am I due to get a new cable box?

Stuart
29-09-2004, 20:24
What's this about boxes being replaced?

I have my original STB that provides me with my broadband access, I've had it since I had NTL digi TV installed at the end of 1999.

Doing speed tests it looks like my 600k connection has already been boosted to 750k.

Am I due to get a new cable box?
No, only those users getting the 1Mb service via STB are being upgraded. The Pace boxes cannot handle 1.5Meg connections.

philking68
29-09-2004, 21:53
No, only those users getting the 1Mb service via STB are being upgraded. The Pace boxes cannot handle 1.5Meg connections.

In my experience, they can't even handle 600K. Not only do I regularly have to reboot the STB to get my Broadband connection working at all, but half the time it grinds to a virtual standstill. So, in reality, I'm expecting my speed upgrade to go from about 6K to 7.5K.

If I'd known it was going to be this bad, I'd never have subscribed. And I've got to put up with it for several months due the minimum one-year contract. Brilliant.

Stuart
29-09-2004, 23:19
Have you reported this to NTL?

philking68
30-09-2004, 19:42
Have you reported this to NTL?

No. Judging by all the horror stories I've read on this forum, I didn't think it was worth bothering! Anyhow, it's not quite as bad as I made out: I was just really frustrated that night (it took me about half an hour to post that message) - it works okay most of the time. But having to reboot the STB every day does get annoying. As is when the connection keeps grinding to a halt - perhaps they're doing maintenance in my area (Bournemouth/Poole)?

busterdan
30-09-2004, 20:12
I was under the impression that my new 1.5service (with the Samsung STB) was 1.5mb immediately but then judgiung from the recent speed tests I did I think this may not be the case....

Hmm maybe call Cust Serv. tomorrow.

Stuart
30-09-2004, 20:54
No. Judging by all the horror stories I've read on this forum, I didn't think it was worth bothering! Anyhow, it's not quite as bad as I made out: I was just really frustrated that night (it took me about half an hour to post that message) - it works okay most of the time. But having to reboot the STB every day does get annoying. As is when the connection keeps grinding to a halt - perhaps they're doing maintenance in my area (Bournemouth/Poole)?
Regardless of the horror stories on this forum, if you are having problems with your connection, you should report it to NTL. As I have said before, if you don't report a problem, NTL may not know about it. If they don't know about it, they can't fix it.

You should report it.

Stuart
30-09-2004, 20:56
I was under the impression that my new 1.5service (with the Samsung STB) was 1.5mb immediately but then judgiung from the recent speed tests I did I think this may not be the case....

Hmm maybe call Cust Serv. tomorrow.
All 1 Meg STB users are apparently being upgraded to 1.5 meg at the same time (even those that have the Samsung box, like you and me). According to BBKing, there is no date set for this yet, but it should be soon.