PDA

View Full Version : Wearing glasses to look good

Macca371
28-09-2004, 21:27
Does this happen?

My eyesight is 20/20 however I like the style of glasses, especially some of the new oval shaped petite ones which are available. I think they look really good.

Is it normal to buy glasses because of image? :confused: I dunno, can you get some strange ones with 0 zoom? Where from?

bopdude
28-09-2004, 21:30
Does this happen?

My eyesight is 20/20 however I like the style of glasses, especially some of the new oval shaped petite ones which are available. I think they look really good.

Is it normal to buy glasses because of image? :confused: I dunno, can you get some strange ones with 0 zoom? Where from?
I'm sure it must, must admit to needing glasses very soon, don't have a problem wearing them wether its for looks or needs.

0 zoom :confused: you mean like plain glass ?? i'm sure you can.

Shaun
28-09-2004, 21:31
I normally wear contacts, and rarely go out with out them but sometimes I like to wear my glasses for the look of them, I guess you could say its a similar situation to what you're talking about.

Your optician should be able to provide you with some, try a PM to AlanMelon, he's the resident optician I believe :)

HTH

Macca371
28-09-2004, 21:33
I'm sure it must, must admit to needing glasses very soon, don't have a problem wearing them wether its for looks or needs.

0 zoom :confused: you mean like plain glass ?? i'm sure you can.

Good. For some reason I always wanted glasses as a kid and I was told that people who wear them do so because they watch the tele too closely :rolleyes: So sometimes I'd watch the tele from 1/2 a metre away hoping I'd have to wear glasses :erm: :D

downquark1
28-09-2004, 21:34
I know someone who's wife loves his glasses so now he's had corrective surgeory he still has to wear empty frames.

Russ
28-09-2004, 21:34
Yeah I used to wear cosmetic glasses in my 20s but now - I really do need proper ones :(

Macca371
28-09-2004, 21:36
Your optician should be able to provide you with some

Don't think I've ever had an optician :confused: I've had a few eye tests and that's it. I'll try to make an appointment...

Macca371
28-09-2004, 21:44
Thanks for all your replies :tu:

Shaun
28-09-2004, 21:46
Come to think of it there's that Peachy smell again! :D

MovedGoalPosts
29-09-2004, 00:09
Good. For some reason I always wanted glasses as a kid and I was told that people who wear them do so because they watch the tele too closely :rolleyes: So sometimes I'd watch the tele from 1/2 a metre away hoping I'd have to wear glasses :erm: :D

Nope I was always told that you'd go blind if you played with yourself (not sure if the forum censor would let me get away with the true wording :angel: ), perhaps you should have "experimented" more :disturbd:

nffc
29-09-2004, 00:12
:confused::notopic::banghead::wtf:

kronas
29-09-2004, 00:37

alot of posts with some thread starters seem that way...

back to the topic, why would anyone want to wear glasses, they are offputting to me, having said that i wear them, no im not wearing contacts (they are a pain)

bbwannabe
29-09-2004, 00:50
i feel the same as the original poster lol.
As well as Diamond. Just want to lose my sight a bit so i can wear them hah, odd as it seems.

Shaun
29-09-2004, 00:54
(they are a pain)

I love mine, much prefer them to my glasses, but sometimes I want that "smart" look! :erm:

bbwannabe
29-09-2004, 00:55
i feel the same as the original poster lol.
As well as Diamond. Just want to lose my sight a bit so i can wear them hah, odd as it seems.

just noticed Diamond and the original poster are the same hehe.
Woohoo!! time for eyecheck :D

Paul
29-09-2004, 00:58
I wear them when I need to (Driving etc). I don't understand how they make you look good :confused:

MovedGoalPosts
29-09-2004, 00:58
just noticed Diamond and the original poster are the same hehe.
Woohoo!! time for eyecheck :D

We know what you've been up to :disturbd:

kronas
29-09-2004, 01:03
I love mine, much prefer them to my glasses, but sometimes I want that "smart" look! :erm:

i bought some new ones i look alot better now :D

soneill
29-09-2004, 01:03
Just be careful what you wish for!

If your eyesight gets as bad as mine you can't step out the door without your glasses and that gets to be a pain sometimes. My worst nightmare is going swimming and then losing track of the time and not being able to read the big clock they stick on the wall or possibly worse, not being able to identify the correct changing rooms.... oops: :)

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 01:05
Disposable contacts, fantastic behind goggles and if they float away, they only cost £1.
I normally wear contacts, and rarely go out with out them but sometimes I like to wear my glasses for the look of them, I guess you could say its a similar situation to what you're talking about.

Your optician should be able to provide you with some, try a PM to AlanMelon, he's the resident optician I believe :)

HTH
Alan is...
My boss wears contacts all the time and it was quite funny when he had conjunctivitus last month and could not wear them, the only glasses he has are of a 6 yr old prescription.

soneill
29-09-2004, 01:15
Disposable contacts, fantastic behind goggles and if they float away, they only cost £1.

My boss wears contacts all the time and it was quite funny when he had conjunctivitus last month and could not wear them, the only glasses he has are of a 6 yr old prescription.
I have tried contacts but the last time I checked the disposable ones weren't totally suitable. I will need to try again the next time I get my eyes tested :)

Even when I was wearing lenses I couldn't afford to let my glasses get that far out of step. Lets put it this way - if I take my glasses off I can't focus on the whole screen at once :D

kronas
29-09-2004, 01:28
whos put 'wearing glasses to look good' near the top of the page lol

MovedGoalPosts
29-09-2004, 01:30
whos put 'wearing glasses to look good' near the top of the page lol

Somebody forgot the need for big writing

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 08:03
I have tried contacts but the last time I checked the disposable ones weren't totally suitable. I will need to try again the next time I get my eyes tested :)

Even when I was wearing lenses I couldn't afford to let my glasses get that far out of step. Lets put it this way - if I take my glasses off I can't focus on the whole screen at once :D
Nor could I, I can get full correction on disposables on my left eye, but disposables do not fully correct the astigmatism on my right eye. This is fine for most things, but reading a book from end to end or (especially) sitting in front of a PC I need my glasses.

Contact lenses have moved forward significantly over the last few years (as I discovered) so it is worth revisiting this each time you get an eye test, hopefully this time next year they will have better astigmatic correction on the dailys.

nffc
29-09-2004, 08:06
Somebody forgot the need for big writing
no smaller writing is better especially in a pale colour because then people have to try harder to see it.

big writing is so in your face people scroll to read it.

innit.

Nugget
29-09-2004, 08:47
I like to think that I wear my glasses to look good. Mind you, if I didn't wear them, my face would be covered in bruises and scratches 'cos I'd keep walking into things (like lamp-posts, walls, doors, my desk at work, the cat, the fridge, the cooker, the washing machine - you get my drift?) ;)

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 08:53
"cosmetic glasses"

Its true the world has gone mad !

Whats next the cosmetic wheel chair !

Ramrod
29-09-2004, 08:55
back to the topic, why would anyone want to wear glasses, they are offputting to me, having said that i wear them, no im not wearing contacts (they are a pain)I second that. Glasses are a pain. They steam up in cold weather, when it rains they get wet and you can't see through them properly. They can fall off/ get broken etc...
I can vaguely understand someone wanting to wear them on occasion for cosmetic purposes but wishing your eyesight was poor enough to have to wear them is just insane :rolleyes:
I have tried contacts--fiddly & sometimes painful and am now waiting for lasek to be reliable so that I can spend a few grand fixing my eyes...... :(Its true the world has gone mad !

Whats next the cosmetic wheel chair !Exactly! Ohh! Ohh! I quite like the look of a walking stick......wish I was a bit lame! :rolleyes:

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 09:04
They steam up in cold weather, when it rains they get wet and you can't see through them properly. They can fall off/ get broken etc...

Agree with all that, having come to glasses late, i.e. when you have to start wearing reading glasses due to the age thing - usually starts around 45 ish. Bluddy frustrating !

What I find odd is that the Laser surgury cant help in this case, given that it is the situation that most people will come up against eventually ( i.e. a bigger market I would have thought)

Ramrod
29-09-2004, 09:43
What I find odd is that the Laser surgury cant help in this case, given that it is the situation that most people will come up against eventually ( i.e. a bigger market I would have thought)Are you becoming long sighted? 'Cos I think lasek can't help if you need glasses for reading.

Chris
29-09-2004, 09:54
Are you becoming long sighted? 'Cos I think lasek can't help if you need glasses for reading.
I believe there is a laser treatment for long sight now.

Maggy
29-09-2004, 09:59
Bah! Humbug!

What a plonker!Wanting glasses. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid No One wanted glasses 'cos one got called four eyes,speccy,brains and lots of other terms one could do without at a young age if one HAD to wear them.'Boys never make passes at girls who wear glasses' was all too true especially in the 60's.

They are inconvenient,bluddy expensive and if I could have afforded laser treatment I would have had it.Too damned late now as I now have to wear s*dding bifocals so I'm still a slave to the damned things and the cost has shot up!!So much for Maggie's idea of that getting rid of the optician's monopoly would bring costs down 'cos I've noticed no such thing.Yes I can go to a certain High Street shop and get two pairs but their after care sucks big time(you just get invited to buy more glasses). :mad:

Oh yes contact lenses.Tried them.Spent 18 months getting used to the soft ones with innumerable eye infections.Just as I got used to them I fell pregnant and the hormonal changes meant they no longer fitted.After that I couldn't face the hassle of trying to re-adapt to them. :(

What I wouldn't have given (and still would) for 20/20 vision and a stupid desire to wear summat I have no use for. :rolleyes:

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 10:23
It can't help - Thats what I meant,

edit: and i'm refering to presbyopia comes on with age, muscles can't focus properly any more

but given then most people will suffer from this eventually you would think the market is even bigger then they currently cater for, you would think hope someone is beavering on this as we speak (there is a method (I read of on't web, still in infancy) were they can fix one eye to be good for close up/reading and leave the other for normal, but sounds like a recipe for massive headaches ), the sooner I can do without these damm specs the better

edit2: AH maybe things have moved on Here (http://www.horizoneyecentres.com/ck_introduction.htm)

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 10:39
Agree with all that, having come to glasses late, i.e. when you have to start wearing reading glasses due to the age thing - usually starts around 45 ish. Bluddy frustrating !

What I find odd is that the Laser surgury cant help in this case, given that it is the situation that most people will come up against eventually ( i.e. a bigger market I would have thought)
Laser surgery cannot help as it is not the focussing surface of your eyes is still fine, it is the muscles that pull that surface into shape so you can focus near that have weakened to the point they cannot pull your eye into shape to focus near. You need an eye personal trainer to work those muscles!? :shocked: .

It can't help - Thats what I meant,

edit: and i'm refering to presbyopia comes on with age, muscles can't focus properly any more

but given then most people will suffer from this eventually you would think the market is even bigger then they currently cater for, you would think hope someone is beavering on this as we speak (there is a method (I read of on't web, still in infancy) were they can fix one eye to be good for close up/reading and leave the other for normal, but sounds like a recipe for massive headaches ), the sooner I can do without these damm specs the better

edit2: AH maybe things have moved on Here (http://www.horizoneyecentres.com/ck_introduction.htm)
Hmm, Monovision, works for some, but a little freaky I would imagine. I imagine it feels kinda like the correction I get with contact lenses.

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 10:43
Well if you believe this (http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/presbyopia_surgery.htm)
conductive keratoplasty can do the trick for presbyopia

zoombini
29-09-2004, 10:44
If you have good eyesight & do not need to wear glasses then there is no reason to wear them just for cosmetic reasons.

Just imagine what people will say when they find out that they are just plain glass in them, you will be called a right poser!

Those of us that need to wear them would (for most anyway) prefer not to. Keep you good eyesight that way & look after your eyes and if you want some way of looking good then find another I.E. how you dress rather than be a phony with glasses.

What next, you like the look of a wheelchair so your going to go around & pretend to be disabled?

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 10:46
Some results here (http://www.horizoneyecentres.com/ck_results.htm) but only on 350 patients

End result is still monovision - and they don'y make any reference to how many people now have thumping headaches

dilli-theclaw
29-09-2004, 10:49
I believe there is a laser treatment for long sight now.

I know it's probably safe and all that - but there is NO WAY anyone will go near my eyes with a laser beams....

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 10:54
I know it's probably safe and all that - but there is NO WAY anyone will go near my eyes with a laser beams....
Surgical Eyes is a great site for reasons not to let lasers near your eyes.

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/promises.htm

All opticians I have spoken with about it seem concerned about what it will do to eye health 10-20 years out, it could be a quick fix at the expense of long term problems.

Ramrod
29-09-2004, 10:57
I believe there is a laser treatment for long sight now.I didn't know that :tu:
So why can't you get your eyes lasered then bobbuilder?
edit--just read your post....nevermindI know it's probably safe and all that - but there is NO WAY anyone will go near my eyes with a laser beams....Lasek is still in the trial stage! It's not been around long enough for long term results to be avaliable!All opticians I have spoken with about it seem concerned about what it will do to eye health 10-20 years out, it could be a quick fix at the expense of long term problems.Exactly...

bob_a_builder
29-09-2004, 11:09
All opticians I have spoken with about it seem concerned about what it will do to eye health 10-20 years out, it could be a quick fix at the expense of long term problems.

And they care not a jot what it might do to the sales of glasses,frames and contact lenses !

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 11:19
And they care not a jot what it might do to the sales of glasses,frames and contact lenses !
Possibly, or they care for the future of your eyes, a part of the body that does not regenerate in the same way as skin etc, a body part most people would miss more than their right arm, hearing, smell, taste.
At the moment I think eye surgery can be dumped in the same catagory as other cosmetic surgery in terms of risk and reward. Since working with my optician to come up with adequate daily disposable contacts for running, swimming, diving, lazing on the beach, the odd night out I want to wear them, I definately have no desire to have surgery.

Bex
29-09-2004, 20:12
believe me you do not want to need glasses, they cost a flipping fortune. my friend at work wants to wear glasses as well....she is always trying on the glasses (normally designer)

as smharman said you can't have lasik on presbypia because it is more to do with the muscles.... but honestly i couldn't have lasik because it just sounds hideous..... i admit it i'ma wimp..... but i've had to try and convince patients for the past couple of months (although luckily we don't do it anymore)

Ramrod
29-09-2004, 20:25
but i've had to try and convince patients for the past couple of months (although luckily we don't do it anymore).........and why don't you do it anymore?

soneill
29-09-2004, 21:20
I admit I haven't read up on the various laser "solutions" recently but I was never terribly keen on trying it from what I did learn.
- They couldn't guarantee to get it 100% correct so you might need glasses afterwards anyway
- My myopia (shortsightedness) has never totally stabilised so the results might not last
- x years down the road I would be almost certain to need glasses again due to presbyopia
- actually having it done requires them to use lasers in your eyes "while you are awake"! :eek:
I am sure I can find some other use for my money - even if it is another pair of glasses or contacts :)

Macca371
29-09-2004, 21:35
Bah! Humbug!

What a plonker!Wanting glasses. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid No One wanted glasses 'cos one got called four eyes,speccy,brains and lots of other terms one could do without at a young age if one HAD to wear them.'Boys never make passes at girls who wear glasses' was all too true especially in the 60's.

They are inconvenient,bluddy expensive and if I could have afforded laser treatment I would have had it.Too damned late now as I now have to wear s*dding bifocals so I'm still a slave to the damned things and the cost has shot up!!So much for Maggie's idea of that getting rid of the optician's monopoly would bring costs down 'cos I've noticed no such thing.Yes I can go to a certain High Street shop and get two pairs but their after care sucks big time(you just get invited to buy more glasses). :mad:

Oh yes contact lenses.Tried them.Spent 18 months getting used to the soft ones with innumerable eye infections.Just as I got used to them I fell pregnant and the hormonal changes meant they no longer fitted.After that I couldn't face the hassle of trying to re-adapt to them. :(

What I wouldn't have given (and still would) for 20/20 vision and a stupid desire to wear summat I have no use for. :rolleyes:

Yes but those were the days where glasses were very thick rimmed and were twice the size. Those were very ugly :td:

Nowadays there have been drastic improvements and I think glasses can make some people look very attractive.

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 21:42
.........and why don't you do it anymore?
Either she no longer works at Boots, or Boots have pulled out of the Lasik market (a guess BTW).

The thought of someone taking a buzz saw (sorry, Micro Keratome) to my cornea is just not appealing.

Bex
30-09-2004, 18:52
.........and why don't you do it anymore?
boots do not do lasik anymore..... there was a lot of scandle about the equipment and treatment at our regent street treating centre.... and they combined the move from lasik with the closure of the health care services (dentistry, chiropody, laser hair removal)

Ramrod
30-09-2004, 19:47
boots do not do lasik anymore..... there was a lot of scandle about the equipment and treatment Thats what I thought......the major eye treatment companies and the lasek manufacturers say that lasek is perfectly safe but everyone is quietly withdrawing it from use :disturbd:The thought of someone taking a buzz saw (sorry, Micro Keratome) to my cornea is just not appealing.
Exactly.....at least not without a lot of backup research :disturbd: