PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection problems in York???

Toreador
28-09-2004, 10:37
I can't get an Internet connection this morning :(
The status page mentions planned maintenance, but not in my area (York) and in any case finishing at 6am.
Anyone else having trouble, or is it something at my end? It was all working fine late last night and all I've done since then is turn my PC off and then back on again.

KevAmiga
28-09-2004, 11:08
PM me your full postcode and ill check it out :-)

KevAmiga
28-09-2004, 11:31
Checked your postcode : No faults .

PM Me your MAC ID.

Toreador
28-09-2004, 11:33
Mac Id???

daxx
28-09-2004, 11:36
on a sticker under your modem begins 00 - numbers and letters in groups of two (usually)

Toreador
28-09-2004, 11:40
I'm at work now so can't check until this evening.
I connect via my set top box rather than a modem, does that make a difference?

KevAmiga
28-09-2004, 11:47
Oh crap, my fault sorry i didnt think.... Anyone STB trained wanna help?

Sorry Toreador, STB's are not my thing.

Toreador
28-09-2004, 11:58
No probs, thanks for trying.
If all else fails I'll give NTL a ring when I get in.
<lazy>
Anyone got the freephone tech support number handy?
</lazy>

iplanet77
28-09-2004, 14:57
I've been having problems all weekend, I can only access NTL websites.

Anyone else in the Andover area having problems???
It came back for a while on Sunday and now it's gone again :(

Toreador
29-09-2004, 10:30
Just FYI, the problem's resolved. No idea what was causing it, the status lights on the STB were OK, but rebooting the STB did the trick.

Chris W
29-09-2004, 12:51
I've been having problems all weekend, I can only access NTL websites.

Anyone else in the Andover area having problems???
It came back for a while on Sunday and now it's gone again :(

:welcome:

When you say you can only access ntl websites, what exactly do you mean? ie, only www.ntlworld.com, www.ntl.com, www.ntlhome.com etc?

Could we have some more details on your setup...
Windows version?
USB or ethernet?
Are you using a home network?
Are you using internet explorer?

iplanet77
29-09-2004, 13:38
The only sites I tried were www.ntl.com (http://www.ntl.com/) and www.ntlworld.com (http://www.ntlworld.com/).

It turns out it was a Proxy problem. I was using one of the old proxy addresses in Southampton. I found the list of new Proxies on this site :) , Picked one in Winnersh and it's working fine now.

Why don't NTL announce these changes on their help site? Do they expect us all to be using a single PC connected directly to the cable modem with Auto Detect selected ;)

BBKing
29-09-2004, 14:08
No, in fact don't have Automatically Detect Proxy enabled, since it doesn't do anything.

Ideally you shouldn't have a permanent proxy selected, just if there's a local difficulty. Also ideally, tech support should either not recommend setting a proxy explicitly or make clear that if they recommend setting a proxy, this should be turned off after a day or two.

I'd love to see a full on status page for those interested, but two things - first the number of ntl customer's who'd want the whole nine yards would be tiny and the cost in money and time would be hard to justify.