PDA

View Full Version : Timer Help Please

Marge
28-09-2004, 01:33
I have an old fashioned central heating timer that uses the red/blue things to turn the heating on/off on a clock type timer.

Over the last couple of days I've somehow managed to snap them and now need to buy some new ones but no idea where would sell them :shrug:

I've attached a pic of the blue/red things that are identical to the ones my timer uses but I don't even know what they are called never mind where to buy some.......... With winter approaching I need to be coming home to a warm house not a fridge so any kind help in pointing me in the right direction will be rewarded with some nice rep points :tu:

Chris W
28-09-2004, 02:18
The local DIY shop in swansea has odd things like that so i will have a look for you when i go into town next... if there is a similar shop near you it might be worth a try!

Nidge
28-09-2004, 05:10
I use these http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/ (http://) I don't know what them little gromet things are called

daxx
28-09-2004, 08:52
1. remove central label thingy
2. unscrew large screw in middle (reverse threaded)
3. lift off 'dial' and adjusters
4. move the snapped ones to a time you dont want heating on OR remove altogether
(the timer will just skip the missing adjusters).
5. re-assemble

et viola a fixed (if not complete) timer thingy. Did this years ago to one that got 'damaged' and it worked up until it was replaced with a digital thingy one

Paul
28-09-2004, 09:14
Take this as a sign to replace it with a modern one. :)

altis
28-09-2004, 09:19
I really doubt you're gonna find just the little red or blue segments (unless you find a scrapped timer). So you're probably going to have to buy a new timer. Here's (http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Time%20controls.htm) some.

However, may I recommend the Honeywell CM67RF (http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/programm.htm#CM61/67%20RF) instead? This is a combined timer and remote control thermostat. It's a lot more than you need but it really is good at keeping the house at a steady temperature (it uses a proper PI control algorithm) and has lots of extra features like holiday mode.

bopdude
28-09-2004, 09:25
1. remove central label thingy
2. unscrew large screw in middle (reverse threaded)
3. lift off 'dial' and adjusters
4. move the snapped ones to a time you dont want heating on OR remove altogether
(the timer will just skip the missing adjusters).
5. re-assemble

et viola a fixed (if not complete) timer thingy. Did this years ago to one that got 'damaged' and it worked up until it was replaced with a digital thingy oneHi ya Debs, ditto as to what daxx has said, if you haven't snapped all of them :p: if you have then just swop the timer they're not that expensive, I'll do it for ya the next time i'm passing if you like ;)

Although this means you only get one on and off option, set it for coming on before you get home and then play with it whilst in HTH

Marge
28-09-2004, 12:58
Thanks everyone !!!!!

The blue/red things that I've managed to snap actually come out of the timer so they are just the things I need to replace. Cos I've broken them all I can't even set it to come on and then turn it off when I get home :cry: I might try B & Q on the way to work but not hopeful, what a gormless harry I am :dunce:

bopdude
28-09-2004, 13:38
Thanks everyone !!!!!

The blue/red things that I've managed to snap actually come out of the timer so they are just the things I need to replace. Cos I've broken them all I can't even set it to come on and then turn it off when I get home :cry: I might try B & Q on the way to work but not hopeful, what a gormless harry I am :dunce:
If you can tell us what make and model number it is we can look and see if there's a manual over-ride, you could leave it on continuous and just leave the room stat turned down to minimum and work it that way, that is if you have a room stat, do you ???

SMHarman
28-09-2004, 18:20
http://www.intermatic.com/images/misc/tof.pdf

bopdude
28-09-2004, 18:30
http://www.intermatic.com/images/misc/tof.pdf
Good find, you have way to much time on your hands :p: but by the time it gets delivered all the way from the states poor Debs could be an ice-block :D

SMHarman
29-09-2004, 00:59
Good find, you have way to much time on your hands :p: but by the time it gets delivered all the way from the states poor Debs could be an ice-block :D
Not so much, I have intermatic garden lighting (on timers).
The design means she can turn the nubbin on the timer clicky thing on and off manually though (the wheel on the top left corner)

MovedGoalPosts
29-09-2004, 01:07
By the time that you've worked out where and how to get compatible little plugs for the timer, and considered the cost and delay of ordering when nobody carrys these in stock, it may pay to get someone to fit a replacement programmer timer. Go for a digital 7 day model. It will save you heating costs in the medium term. You can change the timer for each day. If you get up differently weekends to weekdays, or get home at differentl daily times you can run heating and hot water to suit only when you are at home, rather than the worst case scenario of a 24 hour analogue timer.

Marge
29-09-2004, 01:26
Well I'm made of strong stuff, I only have the heating/water on for an hour each day anyway :) As SMH noticed I can actually turn it on/off myself but it's easier with the trippers so I can come home to a warm house. There's a little shop in Hyde thats sells all sorts of stuff so I'll have a look at the weekend !! Thanks to everyone for their kind help

Marge
20-10-2004, 10:24
Update (eventually)............. managed to find the manufacturer of the trippers and got some in the post this morning. God bless the internet :D :D :D

bopdude
20-10-2004, 10:27
Update (eventually)............. managed to find the manufacturer of the trippers and got some in the post this morning. God bless the internet :D :D :D
Pleased you got sorted out Debs, what with the winter we have forcast, we would have had to find some other way of keeping you warm ;) :naughty:

Graham F
20-10-2004, 10:27

:hugs: thats good to hear Debs :)