PDA

View Full Version : Who says crime does not pay.

carlingman
27-09-2004, 23:50
Well I am sure we all remember Sven Jaschan the teenager formally charged with computer sabotage and disruption of public systems in a German court on the 8th September for creating the Sasser and Netsky viruses, well it looks like he is soon to be given a job by a German security company Securepoint.

Pending the outcome of his court case it is likely he will be signed up and trained as a software programmer. "Sven has a certain know-how in this field" said a company representative :D

Further more it is likely he will be tried in a German youth court, as he was under 18 when the offences were committed and, as a result, could avoid a custodial sentance.

Apparently he told prosecutors that he was persuaded to write viruses by peer pressure, and did not think about the consequences of releasing his creations.

The above is from an article in Computer Active and more on the story can also be found here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3677774.stm)

:)

kronas
27-09-2004, 23:51
i saw this last week, i found it so amusing that another security company made a bold statement about antivirus/anti hacking compaines not hiring these people, guess what it happens. :rolleyes:

criminals are increasingly becoming celebritys almost :erm:

MadGamer
27-09-2004, 23:53
Well I am sure we all remember Sven Jaschan the teenager formally charged with computer sabotage and disruption of public systems in a German court on the 8th September for creating the Sasser and Netsky viruses, well it looks like he is soon to be given a job by a German security company Securepoint.

Pending the outcome of his court case it is likely he will be signed up and trained as a software programmer. "Sven has a certain know-how in this field" said a company representative :D

Further more it is likely he will be tried in a German youth court, as he was under 18 when the offences were committed and, as a result, could avoid a custodial sentance.

Apparently he told prosecutors that he was persuaded to write viruses by peer pressure, and did not think about the consequences of releasing his creations.

The above is from an article in Computer Active and more on the story can also be found here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3677774.stm)

:)
They want to give him a job? He'll only write more viruses when he gets the chance. When will virus writers learn?

MovedGoalPosts
27-09-2004, 23:55
I suppose that is inevitable. Age in this type of thing should be irrelevant, but it still comes down to a coutry's legal system what the punishment would be. We all know that in the UK the court would most likely turn round and say "well done". A slap on the wrist would be a bit much.

On the other hand you can see why the computer security industry is after him. Who else is best to know how to start blocking hackers / virus writers than their own (assuming you can trust one let loose on your own system - you'd dare not sack him for fear of what would be let loose as sleeping stuff)

kronas
27-09-2004, 23:56
who says you can trust these people, he might just create a backdoor in the software for his mates to exploit, and then claim he was 'pressured' in to it.

TheShadow
28-09-2004, 02:38
Yup, you know it's a perfect world when criminals who have hurt themselves breaking into other people's homes manage to sucessfully sue their victims, and kids who write viruses to cause misery get nicely paid jobs.:rolleyes: