PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know any relaxation techniques?

TheBlueRaja
27-09-2004, 19:57
I've got a pretty big presentation to do next week, and to make matters worse its my first one.

So im flapping a bit - and wondered if anybody knew any good techniques for controlling yourself and relaxing.

I would REALLY appreiate it.. ;)

altis
27-09-2004, 20:02
Crash course in Alexander Technique?

Macca371
27-09-2004, 20:04
Well I usually have a cig but I wouldn't start if I were you.

Have you tried going for a run? That also tends to help me a lot. Endorphins galore.

TheBlueRaja
27-09-2004, 20:19
Crash course in Alexander Technique?

Hmm,
Not quite sure thats what the Alexander Technique is intended for to be honest from what i can see.

But going for a run sounds like a good idea - however im going to be in the middle of London, in an area i will be unfamiliar with so i dont think that would help.

homealone
27-09-2004, 20:35
imo, with this kind of thing, there is no substitute for confidence. If you know you have the show down to a 't', you won't be so nervous :shrug:

- but if you still get butterflies, I reckon you can't beat the 'take a deep breath & let it out slowly' technique ;)

Scrubbs
27-09-2004, 20:43
nip to the shops and get a cheap book on yoga or tai chi ....they always have breathing techniques in them absalutley magic for calming you down without anyone realise you are doing it.
I have been doing tai chi for years and found the breathing exercises very beneficial .
A note of caution .....practice deep breathing BEFORE you need it cos when you first start it might make you dizzy :spin:

Ramrod
27-09-2004, 21:02
Hmm,
Not quite sure thats what the Alexander Technique is intended for to be honest from what i can see.It's a method of improving your posture. Not much good for relaxation.....

MetaWraith
27-09-2004, 21:07
give the presentation to a colleague, ask them to critique it.

MetaWraith
27-09-2004, 21:15
Know you material, forward, backwards, upside down and sideways.
Make up a list of probably questions and answers to them.
Practise saying them. That way you wont go umm errr.

altis
27-09-2004, 21:20
It's a method of improving your posture. Not much good for relaxation.....
I beg to differ there.

Taken from the Society of Techers of Alexander Technique website at:
http://www.stat.org.uk/

Using the Alexander Technique you can become ...
* alert
* balanced
* relaxed
* focused
* effective
* confident

Sounds ideal to me.

idi banashapan
27-09-2004, 21:20
A bit more than relaxation, but the following will really help. I've used these techniques on numerous occassions....

As already mentioned, ensure you know your subject backwards. That is probably most important of all. No matter what happens then, you will be able to pick up where you left off without a hitch.

when presenting, take your time. Get yourself a drink of water before you start and keep it nearby. If you feel like you are drying up a bit, just take a sip. Don't rush anything. It may feel like you are talking slow when you are nervous, when infact, you are whizzing through the topics.

At the beginning of the presentation, inform your audience that you will take questions at the end. This will help you keep the flow. If you feel like a break, offer that the group can take a 5 minute breather and return with coffee. This will help them keep their consentration and you to regroup if you feel a little lost at some stage. Remember that YOU are in control of the situation. If an audience member starts to sidetrack you, explain that you can cover their question later in the presentation. Also, don't worry if you don't know the answer to something they pose to you. Ask to take their email address and promise to find out for them, emailing them the details within the next day.

You could use leaders at the bottom of slides to help you remember what slide comes next. For example, if your next slide was about the reasons why the audience should buy your product, at the bottom of the preceeding slide, have the question, 'How could you / your company benefit from this product?'

If you are presenting a slide show of sorts, do not over crowd it with too much literacy. Only use bullet points when presenting. This stops you reading everything monotonously. It also means you will not need to compete with your audience reading the screen at different paces and becoming bored of you reading what they finished 20 seconds ago. You can then have more info on flash cards that YOU hold for YOUR benefit. No one will think it odd that you have additional information at your disposal.

Don't feel as though you have to keep the presentation monotone and serious. Inject some life into it by just being yourself. Everyone in the room is human and will appreciate that it isn't always easy standing infront of a load of strangers and talking to them all at once. If you are nervous, then just make a joke before you start like 'this is my first time presenting to a lot of people. If it goes well, my name is (real name), if not, my name is (something else)'. This will loosen the mood and make everone feel a lot more comfortable, especially you.

Slides are also much easier on the eye if the background is black with a white text!!!

hope this all helps.

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 21:33
Do a rehearsel before and make sure everythings working as you know how unreliable computers can be.
Try to set a certain time for each slide. Like spend 5 minutes on each and then move on. Or if you have an allocated amount of time divide it per slide.

Ramrod
27-09-2004, 21:45
I beg to differ there.

Taken from the Society of Techers of Alexander Technique website at:
http://www.stat.org.uk/

Sounds ideal to me.Relaxation is a possible side effect, not the primary goal of Alexander Tech. If having better posture makes Halcyon more relaxed then go for it....... :D

TheBlueRaja
27-09-2004, 22:09
Well, you see the thing is that i know the presentation reasonably well as i have went over it many times already but never actually presented it.

My issue is with the confidence to stand there an give it - my heart starts to race thinking about it and give me major butterflies.

I kinda even feel a bit physically sick at the thought to be honest.

homealone
27-09-2004, 22:21
Well, you see the thing is that i know the presentation reasonably well as i have went over it many times already but never actually presented it.

My issue is with the confidence to stand there an give it - my heart starts to race thinking about it and give me major butterflies.

aha - time to start thinking you know more about 'your' subject, than they do - or as, so often mentioned, "picture them in their underwear" :D

Gareth
27-09-2004, 22:32
One of the best techniques I did whilst a student was to be videotaped when making one of my first presentations. It's quite an eye-opener to see all your mannerisims. After getting over the initial shock of the sound of my own voice, I realised that I had a habit of grasping my left arm very tightly just above the elbow with my right hand. It was hilarious to watch afterwards - it was like I had a false arm that would fall off if I let go of it :D :D :D

bopdude
27-09-2004, 22:38
Well you always put yourself over ok here so, just imagine its us lot sat there, failing that practice into a mirror and when the day comes just pick a spot in the crowd and do your bit, but most of all in my short experience, don't rush, as said before, take your time, be clear in what you say, and try and keep away from the eh, umm's ....... you'll do fine mate :tu:

Ramrod
27-09-2004, 22:52

I kinda even feel a bit physically sick at the thought to be honest.You can go to adult education evening classes in puplic speaking to help you overcome your nerves. Long term, that's what I'd suggest.

homealone
27-09-2004, 23:03
You can go to adult education evening classes in puplic speaking to help you overcome your nerves. Long term, that's what I'd suggest.

and/or lookup your local theatre website for any workshops :)

Plonking
27-09-2004, 23:56

Don't worry about it! You'll be fine! Feeling nervous / sick is a natural reaction to a stressful situation, and it can help to make you more alert and be useful :)

A while ago, I was asked to write an article on stress for a student website. It was for students who had basically messed up their a levels, and had entered 'clearing', where they had to find any places that were left unfilled at universities that would accept their grades.

I know that you're not in the same situation, but the same basic rules apply. The article I have put here:

linkie (http://psychwire.co.uk/articles/Clearfinal.rtf)

I can't remember if it's that good, I did write it a year ago, but some of it may help you. :)

P

TheBlueRaja
28-09-2004, 10:44
Thanks for that folks,
Well, it looks like i will prepare for the worst and go from there - hopefully in the week that i have i will be able to sort myself out for it.

A couple of good comments on here... bobdudes brought a smile, just imagine its you lot - lord that would be funny.... :D And thanks Plonking that did help.

So at the moment its preperation and visualisation of a worst case scenario, i think the worst thing for me at the moment is walking into a room full of people who i have never met and not having a clue what to expect.

I also spoke with a friend who said - and even though its funny he had a point - to wear something that wont show persperation as he did - i laugh at that thought too, but it kinda also brought home that hell - at least im not the only one that feels like that with something like this approaching.

I can do it - i know that - but i just dont want to walk in the door and panic.

Excercising before and preparing i think will be the winners. Especially the excercising part - getting rid of all the built up adrenalin - it helps me to jump on my mountain bike after a stressfull day at work, its just a shame i will be away from home for this.

daxx
28-09-2004, 10:47
Excersising before and preparing i think will be the winners. Especially the excercising part - getting rid of all the build up adrenalin as it helps me to jump on my mountain bike after a stressfull day at work, its just a shame i will be away from home. Does the hotel your staying at not have a gym? or maybe one nearby you can use for a quick ten mile bike ride before you 'go to work'

TheBlueRaja
28-09-2004, 10:51
I havent booked the hotel yet - so i will be looking for one that does as this will help me a lot i think.

Its going to be in London soooo, it could be a little difficult to go on a bike ride, but the gym is a definate possibility.

Maggy
28-09-2004, 10:58
I wouldn't worry too much.You will notice any fluffs but I doubt your audience/class will.They will be using the occasion to get out of working and waiting for you to finish so they can go get refreshments. ;)

Mind I have to say presentations don't worry me after 30 years as a teacher.I just treat them as a lesson.I'm imparting knowledge to those who nothing about or very little about a subject.Even if they are my peers I treat them the same way as everyone can learn something new everyday.

Maybe if you see it that way you can relax. :tu:

Anyway once you start those butterflies will subside.If your voice wobbles stop and say this is your first go at a presentation and apologise in advance.Most people will then will you on to success because most folk are basically nice,kind and understanding. :)

TheBlueRaja
28-09-2004, 11:24
Thanks Incognitas,
I dont know why i get so worked up about this - i have stood up and taught people about the subject i will be presenting on before (albeit people i know) and spent a long time working on my presentation subject as well - yet still the thought makes me flap.

I guess because its a new job and because i havent done this particular part of it yet that im worried, and that i have no idea what to expect.

Still i feel a lot calmer now about it than i did before which is probably a good sign.

etccarmageddon
28-09-2004, 11:24
knacker yourself out in the gym so you havent the energy to be nervous when it comes to the presentation - I suggest a 2 hour slog prior the the event.

make sure you wear a snappy suit and no jumper - plenty of de-oderant and make sure you feel cold in it.

bopdude
28-09-2004, 13:58
A couple of good comments on here... bobdudes brought a smile, just imagine its you lot - lord that would be funny....

:erm: :fit: :banghead: :rolleyes: :geez: :Peace: here we go again ...... all together now it's bopdude...................................:dozey: :D

TheBlueRaja
28-09-2004, 14:01
LOL,
Sorry mate - its was a typo.... :)

bopdude
28-09-2004, 14:05
LOL,
Sorry mate - its was a typo.... :)
:D yeah right ;)

Ramrod
28-09-2004, 14:10
:erm: :fit: :banghead: :rolleyes: :geez: :Peace: here we go again ...... all together now it's bopdude...................................:dozey: :D Whatever you say Bob :D :Sprint:

bopdude
28-09-2004, 14:13
Whatever you say Bob :D :Sprint:
Now now rodders, all this bickering isn't helping anyone to relax :D

Halcyon
28-09-2004, 14:53
I like your avatar Blobdude. Its quite fun.

Also, have a nice relaxing bath with your favourite CD and it just makes you feel 100% better and relaxed afterwards.