PDA

View Full Version : Space travel anyone ?

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 12:03
- Virgin boss in space tourism bid -

Virgin boss Sir Richard Branson has announced his company has signed an agreement worth £14m to secure the first commercial flights into space. Full article HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3693020.stm)

Prices start (And will probably be much higher) at £115,00 0.
So who would be willing to try this real space journey and travel further than you have ever travelled before ?

Obviously you need the money so unless I become a millionaire or EasyJet make a "cheap" version, I won't be going :D

But still, lets say you have the money, would you ?
Do you think its safe ?
What are your views ?

Chris
27-09-2004, 12:12
- Virgin boss in space tourism bid -

Full article HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3693020.stm)

Prices start (And will probably be much higher) at £115,00 0.
So who would be willing to try this real space journey and travel further than you have ever travelled before ?

Obviously you need the money so unless I become a millionaire or EasyJet make a "cheap" version, I won't be going :D

But still, lets say you have the money, would you ?
Do you think its safe ?
What are your views ?
If I had that kind of pocket money, I'd be up there at a moment's notice, yes. As for whether it's safe - no, of course it isn't, but then life isn't safe anyway. Some things are more dangerous than others, of course, but the kind of 'space travel' we're talking about here isn't the same high-risk stuff NASA does - SpaceShipOne, the craft upon which Virgin Galactic will base its service, is a sub-orbital vehicle, not capable of going as high or as fast as a space shuttle and therefore avoiding a number of the associated risks (not least of which is extreme heating on re-entry, which did for the Columbia). It's worth remembering that what's on offer here is a two-hour joy ride, not a holiday as such, although I'm sure it won't be long before extended trips become available too.

Nugget
27-09-2004, 12:16
It'd be alright, but probably a bit dull. I've heard that, in space, there's very little atmosphere.

Ahem

Ramrod
27-09-2004, 12:17
I'd do it.........oooh yes! :D

Mr_love_monkey
27-09-2004, 12:24
It'd be alright, but probably a bit dull. I've heard that, in space, there's very little atmosphere.

Ahem
"In space, no one can hear you laugh...." :)

bob_a_builder
27-09-2004, 12:42
You do realise its funded by someone connected with Miicrosoft

- Now, do you still what to go ?

I know that the UK Navy is now going to be running Windows (for Warships), but Windows for Spaceships well !!!

Chris
27-09-2004, 12:44
You do realise its funded by someone connected with Miicrosoft

- Now, do you still what to go ?

I know that the UK Navy is now going to be running Windows (for Warships), but Windows for Spaceships well !!!
Uh oh, Rutan's little spaceplane is running Windows XP Orbital edition ... hands up who wants to see the BSO (literally) D whilst cruising at 328,000 ft? :Yikes:

Gareth
27-09-2004, 12:59
Uh oh, Rutan's little spaceplane is running Windows XP Orbital edition ... hands up who wants to see the BSO (literally) D whilst cruising at 328,000 ft? :Yikes:
lol :D :D :D

Paul
27-09-2004, 13:57
If I had the monry I'd be up there in a Flash. :D

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 19:07
I'd love to go to a hotel in Space away from everything in the world.
It would be so much easier to talk to people without outside interference from fools in the street.
(Yeah I've had a bad day and would love to be on my own on a different planet right now).

luftys
29-09-2004, 18:01
I would boldly go where no man has been before :D

Graham F
29-09-2004, 18:04
doesn't really intrest me at this time as so many places down here i would like to see first before i go exploring the stars :D

Halcyon
29-09-2004, 19:16
Very true that.
There are some lovely places on earth to discover.

Bex
29-09-2004, 20:43
i don't think i would want to travel into space... i have enough trouble getting my head around the concept of flying in a plane :erm:

Macca371
29-09-2004, 20:51
Wow I'd love to

I'd make the most of it though because at that cost I'll be paying £15.97 per second to be up there :shocked:

You'd be wasting £8 every time you blinked...

Halcyon
29-09-2004, 20:58
LOL

Thanks for that calculation. What a waste of money. :)