PDA

View Full Version : Is Luton the UK's ultimate cr@p town?

Chris
27-09-2004, 10:52
With apologies to Stuartbe ...

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/26/nluton26.xml

Is Luton really the worst? And what about the other towns in the list?

Bifta
27-09-2004, 10:59
Obviously a complete fix, I mean, Swindon should be no. 1 but it's not even on the list! Nice to see Portadown made an appearance though and presumably that's Bangor in Wales not NI.

Julian
27-09-2004, 11:05
I can't believe that Portsmouth didn't win. :(

And how on earth did Milton Keynes end up only 35th. :shocked:

Mr_love_monkey
27-09-2004, 11:05
I'm surprised Croydon is at 32 - I would have put it at number 1....

Nugget
27-09-2004, 11:06
Jay Rebbeck, 27, a management consultant from Luton who has recently moved to London, voted for his home town in the survey. "I was born in Luton and have been avoiding it ever since," he said.

That's a good selling point for it, isn't it :D

I can't believe Scunthorpe didn't even make the list - on good days, it's raining and murky and 'orrible when I drive in. On bad days, I can actually see the urban concrete hell-hole :(

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 11:16
I thought Coventry was meant to be the most dead place in the UK.

Ramrod
27-09-2004, 11:18
I'm really surprised at Windsor, Kew and Bournemouth being in the list :confused:

gary_580
27-09-2004, 11:25
20,000 people is a very small sample making it almost meaningless. Where was the survey conducted? Luton Airport?

TigaSefi
27-09-2004, 11:33
luton airport!!! luton airport!!!

Gareth
27-09-2004, 11:49
Having spent 3 years living in Bournemouth, I'm kinda surprised (and disappointed) to see it in the list. I found it a great place to live - plenty of things to do, lovely countryside on the doorstep, great beaches, reasonable-ish nightlife. Plus, there used to be a great fish & chip shop on the high street in Winton... really cheap but massive portions of the best tasting fish & chips. I've yet to find anywhere as good. If I could get a job in Bournemouth, I'd gladly move back.

I'm living in Swindon now, and was glad to see it not included in the list (despite Bifta's comments!). The town centre is an eye-sore, admittedly, but it's got everything that you could want. Swindon borough council isn't the worst-managed counil I've ever seen, there are plenty of employment opportunities, there's sufficient housing for all tastes and requirements (just steer clear of any areas beginning with a P :eek:) and it's ideally situated geographically being an hour from London yet also on the doorstep of the beautiful Cotswolds, and only a short drive from Wales or the South Coast.

In my opinion, there's a lot worse places to live .........such as Bromsgrove, for example.

Nugget
27-09-2004, 11:55
20,000 people is a very small sample making it almost meaningless. Where was the survey conducted? Luton Airport?

You've got to remember that this is a poll conducted for a 'funny' book.

I don't know if anyone here read the first 'Crap Towns', but it described Hull as having 'the smell of death'! Now I have to accept that this is actually true, but it's still done in a humourous way :)

Bifta
27-09-2004, 12:43
I'm living in Swindon now, and was glad to see it not included in the list (despite Bifta's comments!). The town centre is an eye-sore, admittedl

Mmmm, you forgot to mention all the outlying area's too, e.g. Liden, Penhill, Park South/North etc all of which are complete sh*tholes.

but it's got everything that you could want.

It certainly has, crap nightclubs, crap pubs full of people spoiling for a fight, ignorant shop staff with that AWFUL semi-bristol accent, extortionate rental prices for houses (I was paying 600 + council tax a month for a tiny 2 bedroomed terraced, as opposed to £400 for a new, huge 4 bedroomed detached over here), absymal public transport, buses turn up when they feel like it, dreadful road infrastructure developed by a feller from Oxford who has never driven a car in his life (try getting in or out of the town during rush hour .. no chance!)

Swindon borough council isn't the worst-managed counil I've ever seen

It's certainly far and above the worst I've ever seen, the kind of council that likes to dig all the roads up at once, towards the end of the year, for no other reason than it costs money and if they don't spend that money, they won't get the same budget for the forthcoming year. Also, the staff that deal with council tax are lying sh*tbags that caused me no end of grief over an error on their part.

there are plenty of employment opportunities, there's sufficient housing for all tastes and requirements (just steer clear of any areas beginning with a P :eek:) and it's ideally situated geographically being an hour from London yet also on the doorstep of the beautiful Cotswolds, and only a short drive from Wales or the South Coast.

I think that's about all it has going for it.

In my opinion, there's a lot worse places to live .........such as Bromsgrove, for example.

I've never lived there, I have however lived in several other places on the list, and none of them were even half as crap as Swindon.

Maggy
27-09-2004, 12:59
I can't believe that Portsmouth didn't win. :(

And how on earth did Milton Keynes end up only 35th. :shocked:

What's wrong with Portsmouth?It's got a lot going for it.It's got bags more history than Luton and it's one of the oldest naval ports.There are some very good shopping centres,a very good selection of restaraunts and a good nightlife.Now the Tricorns going we only have the Millennium Tower to worry about.That is the only blot on the landscape as far as I'm concerned.

Bifta
27-09-2004, 13:28
What's wrong with Portsmouth?It's got a lot going for it.It's got bags more history than Luton and it's one of the oldest naval ports.There are some very good shopping centres,a very good selection of restaraunts and a good nightlife.Now the Tricorns going we only have the Millennium Tower to worry about.That is the only blot on the landscape as far as I'm concerned.

Well, that and Southsea ;)

Julian
27-09-2004, 13:41

I know there will be people loyal to the place Incog. :)

For those who haven't had the pleasure, there are 3 roads into Portsmouth. The main one (the M275) features a rubbish mountain at the beginning, followed by Pounds's scrapyard (featuring dead submarines, wrecked amphibious landing craft and piles of rusty metal) on both sides as you head towards town. You then go over the Rudmore roundabout and on your left is a long block of flats famous only for its crime level.

And as for the Millenium Tower - way over budget and unlikely to open for another year - 5 years late. :td:

Tezcatlipoca
27-09-2004, 13:47

LOL, well Luton is pretty skanky. I'm surprised Peterborough didn't make it onto the list, though.

Plonking
27-09-2004, 14:57
lol!

this is the most lame survey i have ever seen!

I live in bournemouth.. it's lovely, and somehow it's 43rd in the list! What a joke! The only time bournemouth is bad is when the summer is really hot and the place gets full of tourists and people who come down to pick fights!

Actually, sayig that, bournemouth does have a very, very, very high number of heroin addicts! They have a load of treatment centres down here, and the addicts come down, then drop out and stay here... a friend of mine has been working for the police trying to calculate the exact figure of addicts in the area, but he won't tell me until the report has been published officially, lol!

I think the actual survey itself was a joke:

More than 20,000 people were asked which was the worst place to live in Britain and Luton came top.
It looks like a pretty poor sample, asking 20,000 people to cover a country with around 60,000,000 people in. In their survey, then, 1 person covers the lives and experiences of 30,000 people! And that's a third of the size of the population of bournemouth!

P

orangebird
27-09-2004, 15:03
Newbury is lovely! How did that get on the list, and how did Bridgend (the armpit of South Wales) avoid it????????????? :eeek:

iadom
27-09-2004, 15:59
As my brother lives in Woking I was pleased to see it above Manchester, and Oldham & Rochdale did not even make the list, quite right too.:)

Russ
27-09-2004, 16:48
How did that get on the list, and how did Bridgend (the armpit of South Wales) avoid it?????????????

As you don't live around here I'll ignore that comment (Bridgend is actually quite an affluent area) - it's Port Talbot which is considered the ****hole of Wales :D

Bifta
27-09-2004, 16:51
As my brother lives in Woking I was pleased to see it above Manchester, and Oldham & Rochdale did not even make the list, quite right too.:)

I quite like Woking, always have, now Old Woking .. that's a different matter altogether.

orangebird
27-09-2004, 16:55
As you don't live around here I'll ignore that comment (Bridgend is actually quite an affluent area) <snip>

?? I spent every weekend there for best part of ten months, so I'll thank you to get your facts straight before determining how valid my comments are or are not...... Codys - complete and utter chavsville.
The Litten tree - ummm... FMBs and belts for skirts, great for jail bait and fat birds :erm:

One place you can always guarantee a good fight, girls crying about their boyfriends, and chips/vomit mixture on the doorstep of every pub. Lovely....

Chris
27-09-2004, 16:57
- it's Port Talbot which is considered the ****hole of Wales :D
I thought Merthyr Tidfil, Wrexham or any other former mining town you could name had first claim on that honour? :D :p:

Colin
27-09-2004, 17:24
I thought Coventry was meant to be the most dead place in the UK.
Too right it is, i can't believe it's not on the list. What the hell is Bristol and Edinburgh doing on it, i have lived in both cities and love them. This list is obviously conducted by one man in his office instead of asking people. How can they put Edinburgh/Glasgow at 4th and not even include Coventry and Stoke On Trent:D :shrug:

smegs
27-09-2004, 17:50
Well i totally agree with everything it said, there is nowhere to go out we only have one cinema the town centre is cr@p , dull and boring , theres nothing going for the town now we no longer have vauxhalls and the hat trade is slowly dying ( i should know ).

Russ
27-09-2004, 17:59
?? I spent every weekend there for best part of ten months, so I'll thank you to get your facts straight before determining how valid my comments are or are not

oooOOOoooo!! Handbags eh? Speaking as someone who actually lived there for 5 years, I think I speak with a little more authority.

Some parts are rough (such as Wildmill and Brackla) but the rest are quite smart :)

timewarrior2001
27-09-2004, 18:26
Luton, well Marsh farm and most of the LU1 area is a dump.
Dont like the place at all and I visit every month.

I cant believe Boro made number 10 while Stockton on tees didnt chart.

Richard M
27-09-2004, 18:27
I'm really surprised at Windsor, Kew and Bournemouth being in the list :confused:

Don't know about Kew/Richmond but Windsor and mockney "Bawwnmuff" are dumps.

iadom
27-09-2004, 18:56
I quite like Woking, always have, now Old Woking .. that's a different matter altogether.To be honest I was surprised to see Woking on there. I have visited my brother several times and like the area very much. His back garden actually melts into Horsell Common, and we all know what happened there.;)

Steve H
27-09-2004, 18:59
At least stoke isn't on the list :D

Colin
27-09-2004, 19:07
At least stoke isn't on the list :DThat's the mystery. Why the hell not:D

cjmillsnun
27-09-2004, 19:10
I know there will be people loyal to the place Incog. :)

For those who haven't had the pleasure, there are 3 roads into Portsmouth. The main one (the M275) features a rubbish mountain at the beginning,
followed by Pounds's scrapyard (featuring dead submarines, wrecked amphibious landing craft and piles of rusty metal) on both sides as you head towards town. You then go over the Rudmore roundabout and on your left is a long block of flats famous only for its crime level.

And as for the Millenium Tower - way over budget and unlikely to open for another year - 5 years late. :td:

I have fond memories of Pompey, having spent my time at Uni there.

Also I used to walk past this block of flats from North End into town and back daily & I never saw any trouble there.

The ONLY eyesore I saw there was the Tricorn, and it is being knocked down.

In fact the only trouble I remember is when the drunks used to pick on people in Guildhall square. (Only in Uni vacations and dealt with efficiently by the Police).

Now Fareham & Gosport on the other hand........... :disturbd:

dilli-theclaw
27-09-2004, 19:15
My personal experiences of Luton do not make me like the place at all....

Basically I used to do a lot of first aid teaching at the local Red Cross there....

Whenever we were in the building the local population used to stone the building due to the red cross on the door.

Such a nice neighbourhood :(

scrotnig
27-09-2004, 19:39

I am amazed the hell-hole dump of a city run by rabid loony-left wingers that is MANCHESTER only came 40th. Who wants to live in a city that openly puts the council tax up to fund schools in Bangladesh? And Eritrean womens' lesbian outreach centres? A city that can clean its streets for foreign athletes who'll never come here again, but leaves rubbish rotting on the pavements when it's only the locals who see it.

A city who's leaders organise a 'no car day' every year, then they ALL get caught driving on that day by the local newspaper, and they ALL bumble crap about 'important council business means they need their car'. Yes, you mean just like the rest of of the population, you need your car for work, eh? Hypocritical 'stewards!

The city who's council spends vast quantities of taxpayers' money campaigning for a change in the law on fireworks, simply because ONE man, the council leader, happens not to like them. Nice to have a bottomless pit of money to fund your personal crusades, eh?

The city who's council, instead of supporting the police's new efforts to cut street crime, denounce it as 'too little too late'. Fine, then lets see our council leaders on the streets at night sorting out the marauding thugs. Ah, nope, no sign of them.

The city that redecorates and refurbishes council houses, then reserves them for Moslem asylum seekers only. The council that sells houses at a knockdown price to Moslem housing associations, thus denying social housing to the majority English and Irish communities in the city.

The council that agrees to erect a sculpture funded entirely by the lottery, only end of subsidising it to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money when it goes way over budget.

Yes, welcome to Manchester. What a god-awful dump!

iadom
27-09-2004, 20:06
Don't beat about the bush Mark, tell us what you really think.

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 21:29
Manchester and Leeds are meant to be the place if you want to go and get burgled, have your car broken into, assaulted, set on fire, etc.
I wouldnt go there !!!

homealone
27-09-2004, 22:03
Manchester and Leeds are meant to be the place if you want to go and get burgled, have your car broken into, assaulted, set on fire, etc.
I wouldnt go there !!!

the 'spin' on that is the contribution of local government to recycling, sometimes new tv's are 'recycled' within hours of purchase, don't you just love 'key performance indicators' ;)

Marge
27-09-2004, 22:13
I wouldnt go there !!!

I've not been set on fire so far :erm:

Gareth
27-09-2004, 22:25
Mmmm, you forgot to mention...<snip> Cor blimey, bit harsh there, mate. But seeing as though seem to have lived here, I'll let it slip ...this time!

Although I wouldn't agree with all your comments, you're right about the dodgy areas of Swindon. Luckily, I live in one of the better parts, so I only drive past the scummy areas. :p:

...oh, and you're right about the traffic problems - a real nightmare. The Magic Roundabout was surely built to please all the car repair places and the insurance companies :D

But at least we do have Melinda Messenger and Billie Pipsqueek :drool:

Chris
27-09-2004, 22:41
...oh, and you're right about the traffic problems - a real nightmare. The Magic Roundabout was surely built to please all the car repair places and the insurance companies :D

But at least we do have Melinda Messenger and Billie Pipsqueek :drool:

We have a magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead too - but only Vinnie Jones, Goldie, and Andy from Big Brother series one by way of celebrity compensation :erm:

Russ
27-09-2004, 23:06
We have Anthony Hopkins, Rob Brydon and also Kate Beckinsdale's ex husband?

Stuart
27-09-2004, 23:13
Where as we have Sharron Davies, David Bowie and Kate Lawler from BB3....

Oh, OK... I'll got quietly..

Halcyon
27-09-2004, 23:17
Oh well, I hope you are not and never will be.
But if I was you I'd hire a helicopter to get to work if you want to avoid any interceptions during your way.
Gangster land, I'm sure of it !!!

But at least we do have Melinda Messenger
And thats a good thing ???
:Yikes:

Stuart
27-09-2004, 23:21
Would be a bit of an extreme way to meet firemen though..

orangebird
28-09-2004, 11:33
And thats a good thing ???
:Yikes:

Hey, she's nice! I used to live down the road from her. Her husband can't park to save his life though.... :erm:

Nugget
28-09-2004, 11:41
I am amazed the hell-hole dump of a city run by rabid loony-left wingers that is MANCHESTER only came 40th. Who wants to live in a city that openly puts the council tax up to fund schools in Bangladesh? And Eritrean womens' lesbian outreach centres? A city that can clean its streets for foreign athletes who'll never come here again, but leaves rubbish rotting on the pavements when it's only the locals who see it.

A city who's leaders organise a 'no car day' every year, then they ALL get caught driving on that day by the local newspaper, and they ALL bumble crap about 'important council business means they need their car'. Yes, you mean just like the rest of of the population, you need your car for work, eh? Hypocritical 'stewards!

The city who's council spends vast quantities of taxpayers' money campaigning for a change in the law on fireworks, simply because ONE man, the council leader, happens not to like them. Nice to have a bottomless pit of money to fund your personal crusades, eh?

The city who's council, instead of supporting the police's new efforts to cut street crime, denounce it as 'too little too late'. Fine, then lets see our council leaders on the streets at night sorting out the marauding thugs. Ah, nope, no sign of them.

The city that redecorates and refurbishes council houses, then reserves them for Moslem asylum seekers only. The council that sells houses at a knockdown price to Moslem housing associations, thus denying social housing to the majority English and Irish communities in the city.

The council that agrees to erect a sculpture funded entirely by the lottery, only end of subsidising it to the tune of hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money when it goes way over budget.

Yes, welcome to Manchester. What a god-awful dump!

Not a big fan of Manchester then?

:disturbd: :disturbd:

Gareth
28-09-2004, 12:03
Hey, she's nice! I used to live down the road from her. Her husband can't park to save his life though.... :erm: He's probably got other things on his mind than his parallel parking skills :D

Marge
28-09-2004, 13:36
Our famous residents from Hyde include The Moors Murderers and Dr Shipman :erm:

Nugget
28-09-2004, 13:48
Hey, she's nice! I used to live down the road from her. Her husband can't park to save his life though.... :erm:

He'll always have somewhere to park his bike though :erm:

smegs
28-09-2004, 17:57
Luton, well Marsh farm and most of the LU1 area is a dump.
Dont like the place at all and I visit every month.

I cant believe Boro made number 10 while Stockton on tees didnt chart.
I live in the LU1 area we have dumped cars and we used to have a drug dealer across the road :erm:

scrotnig
28-09-2004, 20:21
I wouldnt go there !!!
I have had the tragic misfortune to live in BOTH, and I can confirm that this is correct.