View Full Version : Planning Permission

Stephen Robb
12-08-2003, 10:52
From a previous thread!

Even if you wanted to stick a dish up, it requires planning pemission

Originally posted by Russ D
It's the first I've heard of this...

Hello Russ

Yes, I'm afraid that you do. It's the same with flag poles. Over a certain height (which used to be about 10 feet) you need planning permission.

When I was living in Cornwall in the late '80's, Cambourne Council had a crack down on satellite dishes on the front walls of houses on the main road from Pool to Cambourne. With a view on the original type and construction of houses, there was too many dishes, which made the houses look very unsightly.

The residents were made to take them down and apply for planning permission which resulted in the dishes being put onto the back walls of the houses so they could not be seen from the front.

Just to make sure of my facts, I phoned my local Council's planning department. They state that you can put up ordinary TV and VHF aerials and they require no permission to so. However, depending on the size and location of satellite dishes, 98% of them require planning permission to be put up!

And flag poles? Apparantly there is no height restiction now, but if you want to fly the Union Jack or England's Flag, no permission is required, but,if you want to fly any other flag, Company or Country, you require planning permission!

Alan Waddington
12-08-2003, 10:59
From what I remember, you don't always need planning permission. A quick search round the web dug this up, which is about what i remember.

Provided you do not live in a conservation area then you do not need permission to install a dish on your house unless:

There is already a dish on the house or in the garden;
(ADW edit: provided the following are true:)
- The dish does not exceed 90cm in size;
- The dish does not protrude above the highest part of the roof; or,
- If fixed to a chimney stack, the dish does not exceed 45cm in size and is not higher than the stack.

If you live in a block of flats over four storeys you do not need permission to install a dish unless:

The building is in a conservation area;
The number of dishes on the building as a whole exceeds two;
The dish does exceed 1.3m in overall size.

Is the dish on a smaller block of flats, on a building in conservation area or on commercial premises?

You still do not need to apply for planning permission, unless the dish exceeds 90cm, the installation is on a wall or roof fronting a road or public footpath or it is on a chimney stack.

For flats, these limits refer to the building as a whole and not to each separate flat. If one has been installed by a flat dweller then planning permission is required for further installations but check the possibility of sharing dishes.

Added edit in brackets as copied text seemed to be in error.

BBKing
12-08-2003, 11:04
If the council made everyone put the dish on the back of the house, surely it wouldn't see the satellite, or am I missing something? I suppose it could be a north/south street.

Also going back to a previous thread, Bulldog resell BT ADSL nationwide and provide their own unbundled (LLU) DSL services (using BT only for the copper from the exchange to you) in a few exchanges, mainly in the centre of London. Certainly where I am (9 miles out) they don't offer LLU services, as I checked them out when I moved in, as for Peckham I can't comment. I know they do Maida Vale, for some bizarre reason.

Alan Waddington
12-08-2003, 11:10
Another bit on planning permission:

For satellite dishes, planning permission is required if:
a) the size of the aerial, excluding peripheral hardware exceeds in any dimension:
i) 45 cm if mounted on a chimney;
ii) 90 cm if mounted on the dwelling (other than the chimney).
b) The highest part of the aerial exceeds the highest part of the building or chimney.
Please note that if you already have one satellite aerial installed in or around your house,
planning permission as always necessary for the second or subsequent aerial.
These "automatic" permissions may not apply if your dwelling is a Listed Building, is in a
Conservation Area, or if the LPA has removed them either in the original Planning Permission
under which your dwelling was built or by means of what is known as an "Article 4 direction."
It is worth checking that none of these apply before proceeding under this "GDO Permitted
Development."

Stephen Robb
12-08-2003, 11:28
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
From what I remember, you don't always need planning permission. A quick search round the web dug this up, which is about what i remember.

Added edit in brackets as copied text seemed to be in error.

Yes, I agree with what you say Alan. The regulations that you quoted would be that 2% Reading BC said that wouldn't need PP, but in the majority of cases they would have to have it!

Your: Added edit........................................error. Could you elaborate please. Still learning!!!

Alan Waddington
12-08-2003, 11:34
Originally posted by Stephen Robb
Your: Added edit........................................error. Could you elaborate please. Still learning!!!

Well as originally written, the text said that you DIDN'T need planning permission UNLESS. But the bullet points starting with 'The dish does not exceed 90cm in size' are things that allow you out of applying. i.e. there were too may 'negatives' in the sentence.

My (rather poor) edit was trying to fix this. My second post with it's quote is a bit clearer.

Stephen Robb
12-08-2003, 11:46
Originally posted by BBKing
If the council made everyone put the dish on the back of the house, surely it wouldn't see the satellite, or am I missing something? I suppose it could be a north/south street.

Also going back to a previous thread, Bulldog resell BT ADSL nationwide and provide their own unbundled (LLU) DSL services (using BT only for the copper from the exchange to you) in a few exchanges, mainly in the centre of London. Certainly where I am (9 miles out) they don't offer LLU services, as I checked them out when I moved in, as for Peckham I can't comment. I know they do Maida Vale, for some bizarre reason.

Hello BB,

The houses ran east/west. Because of the roofs long overhang the dishes had to be put lower and with a long hang out to clear the gutter line, which actually made them unsightly! When they were put on the back of the houses just a change of the brackets took the dishes above the top of the gutter line which was sufficient to realine to the satellite, if you get what I mean

LLU ?

Stephen Robb
12-08-2003, 12:01
Originally posted by Alan Waddington
Well as originally written, the text said that you DIDN'T need planning permission UNLESS. But the bullet points starting with 'The dish does not exceed 90cm in size' are things that allow you out of applying. i.e. there were too may 'negatives' in the sentence.

My (rather poor) edit was trying to fix this. My second post with it's quote is a bit clearer.

Thanks Alan! Life's just a bitch isn'it!

BBKing
12-08-2003, 12:27
Ah I see. Sort of.

LLU is local loop unbundling, a process which is supposed to force BT to give up its control of the last mile, the copper from the exchange to your house. In essence it means that Bulldog can install their own equipment into your exchange, disconnect your copper from BT and plug it into their equipment and provide you with DSL independent from BT (usually cheaper and faster as a result).

However, because of the cost of installing the kit, the times we live in regarding IT investment, the need to get a return from business customers, BT being slow to unbundle and Oftel not being tough enough, this is only available in a few areas.

NTL are sort of unbundling by allowing AOL to provide service over their own cabling, but this is closer to the BT ADSL deal where the provider keeps control of the edge device (UBR or DSLAM respectively) and allows the customer ISP to run virtual tunnels through it.

Ramrod
12-08-2003, 13:30
Maby the planning regs are why you see a few dishes mounted at ground level?

Jerrek
12-08-2003, 18:09
Weird. We're putting a fence up, have three dishes outside our house, two flagpoles on the garage, and relocated some government planted trees without any planning permissions.