PDA

View Full Version : That'll teach me!!

nobbyknownowt
26-09-2004, 18:33
Help
Went on holiday and left a dog sitter at home. When i got back i found soyware on the pc. used a scanner and delete delete delete reboot arrgghh! Can no lomger connect to the internet. PC started asking for a driver for a pci simple communication controller. reinstalled modem driver but still no good. reinstalled windows after fdisk but still the same.
i get as far as trying to obtain an ip address but it will not renew an address. it says i have network adapter set to dhcp.
thats where the help ends
anyone have any suggestions or info.
would be appreciated.
modem works cos i got it plugged into me laptop and am using it now
cheers
nobby

Chris W
26-09-2004, 19:36
:welcome:

Was one of the pieces of spyware something called new.net?? if so have a look at this:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

nobbyknownowt
26-09-2004, 19:51
Don't recall that one but have had a look at the program and it doesnt advise removal of anything suspisious.
thanks though
cheers
nobby

trebor
26-09-2004, 20:02
if you have used fdisk and re-installed windows and you still have the same issue I would say it is a hardware fault.

greencreeper
26-09-2004, 20:20
Well at least next time you know to set a BIOS password :D

It does sound like a hardware issue.

nobbyknownowt
26-09-2004, 20:39
Fair do's guys I will have "stupid" tattooed across the forehead but anyone know what I can do now?
I have subsequently got rid of all the driver issues on the pc but still cannot get an IP address when I try loading broadband.
get as far as TCP/IP networking error. "the DHCP derver is not responding.Please check your modem. Error Code 221.
cheers

maverick
26-09-2004, 20:43
reinstall the broadband manually,which way are you connecting the cable modem to pc,if ethernet just plug and play,if usb all you need the disc for is the drivers.

nobbyknownowt
26-09-2004, 20:58
Erm
embarrassed now!

Just rebooted cable modem and connected without trying any install or anything.

Cannot connect back to laptop now. Guess its something to do with PC IP addresses and me keep changing the cable from one PC to another.

I guess if I want to change PCs using the box i need to do it each time

thanks for the help and interest guys

cheers
Nobby
(Off to get drunk in a dark corner now)

Tezcatlipoca
26-09-2004, 21:08
Erm
embarrassed now!

Just rebooted cable modem and connected without trying any install or anything.

Cannot connect back to laptop now. Guess its something to do with PC IP addresses and me keep changing the cable from one PC to another.

I guess if I want to change PCs using the box i need to do it each time

thanks for the help and interest guys

cheers
Nobby
(Off to get drunk in a dark corner now)

It's to do with the MAC address of the PC connected to the modem. If you change PCs, you have to reboot the modem so that it will allow the new device to connect.

See here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/swap.html