PDA

View Full Version : Hi, Im new here and i need urgent help

morby14
26-09-2004, 14:04
Hi,
I have an NTL:Home 200 cable modem, 150k (getting higher soon) and sometimes the light "U/S" stops blinking and therefore i cannot access the internet or email. This is extremely annoying :mad: and I have only got on this forum by fluke of the modem deciding to work. I spend hours trying to get this light on and when it doesnt it doesnt work ,simple. I have contacted ntl and they are sending someone out soon but they are not sure what it is. Does anyone know what could be the matter? I turned off firewall so i know it is not a firewall issue. Thanks guys.
Steve

greencreeper
26-09-2004, 14:41
The USB, ENET, U/S and D/S light are meant to flicker. The U/S light indicates that your PC (or modem) is sending information out, whereas the D/S light indicates that the PC (or modem) is receiving information. The important lights, which should always be lit, are the SYNC and RDY lights. The former indicates that the modem has a signal and the latter indicates that the modem is ready.

Welcome to the forum :)

morby14
26-09-2004, 14:44
I know, but it is only when the us light stops flashing i cannot browse online.

poolking
26-09-2004, 15:29
What do you mean cannot browse online? What error messages are you getting?

morby14
26-09-2004, 15:31
i cant view web pages this page cannot be displayed

morby14
26-09-2004, 15:32
and i cant sign in on msn, just no internet at all

poolking
26-09-2004, 15:35
Your best bet is to ring TS.

morby14
26-09-2004, 15:41
TS? i have contacted ntl and they are coming to have a look in a few days.

morby14
26-09-2004, 15:42
U/S stand for upstream? Why does the U/S light go off then, it normally flickers. When it is perminently off I cannot go online, this is the only chance i have had to go online

Kliro
26-09-2004, 15:51
Could there be a problem with your connecting wire?
How do you connect? USB or ethernet??
Have you checked to see if both ends of the cable are secure, and theres nothing that could be causing a disturbance along the cable??

If none of the above applies, then you'll just have to sit it out until the techhies arrive :(

26-09-2004, 15:58
hi morby...

whats the setup you have there... are you using usb to connect the cable modem to the pc? if yes ...it may well be worth reinstalling the usb drivers.. or preferably if there is an ethernet card on the pc.. try using this as usb can sometimes cause this kind of issue...

was it technical support who have arranged the engineers visit for you ?
wasnt aware that engineers were sent if the issue was with the pc ...although i stand to be corrected :)

morby14
26-09-2004, 16:05
issue is with the faulty modem.
im am using usb, everything is secure

paulyoung666
26-09-2004, 16:11
issue is with the faulty modem.
im am using usb, everything is secure

i suspect that nothing can be done until ntl look at the problem , if you have or can borrow a camcorder i would suggest you film the modem when it is down so you have some proof of the problem , sods law dictates that it will work fine when the engineer comes around :disturbd:

morby14
26-09-2004, 16:16
good idea i will do tht now

morby14
26-09-2004, 16:20
oops no i wont lol, its working

paulyoung666
26-09-2004, 16:25
oops no i wont lol, its working

see what i mean ;) :D :D :D :D

greencreeper
26-09-2004, 18:19
You've got the cart slightly before the horse :D The reason why when the U/S light stops flashing you cannot access the Net or email is because your computer isn't communicating with the modem. It's difficult to know why this might be - as others have said, it could be a faulty connection between the PC and modem, but it could also be a faulty USB card/port, a firewall issue (particularly in XP), virus or spyware, problems with the network settings, damaged TCP/IP stack... Big list of possibles. There's a chance it could be the modem - but it's more likely to be the PC.