PDA

View Full Version : NTL broadband question/ STB query

jayy
26-09-2004, 12:56
I already have an NTL connection via a SACM, but i would like to turn on the ethernet port on the back of my samsung STB so i can connect my Xbox to my set top box in that room and have an internet connection in there. I have no experience with networking so i wouldnt really want to explore that avenue. Is there anyway i could do this?

Thanks in advance

Graham M
26-09-2004, 13:24
To do that you'd have to subscribe to X-Box live since you only get one IP/STB Account enabled.

quadplay
26-09-2004, 15:22
It is theoretically possible to have both the STB broadband enabled and a SACM, but it's much cheaper to use the Xbox live service suggested by Zeph. That way, you can use both the USB and the ENET ports on the SACM. To upgrade, ring 0800 183 6666 - it's an extra £2 per month - or see www.ntlworld.com/xbox. You must, however, be on 750k or 1.5Mb.

EDIT: Oh, and :welcome:

jayy
26-09-2004, 15:37
thanx for the help, i guess i'll have to explore the wi-fi route because the modem is way too far away from my xbox, but im a bit of a newbie to all this networking, any ideas on how much it would cost me? i worked it out at about 100 quid for a wireless router, bridge and network card for my pc, is that a lot for this kind of kit?

Paul
26-09-2004, 15:55
i worked it out at about 100 quid for a wireless router, bridge and network card for my pc, is that a lot for this kind of kit?That sounds reasonable, what models have you chosen ?

Kliro
26-09-2004, 16:04
Theres anouther post somewhere here where a guy didnt want to pay the £2 a month, so made the mac adress for his PC the same as his PS2, then registered the new mac, and can connect it as if he were connecting his pc.

jayy
26-09-2004, 16:07
linksys WET54G bridge and Linksys WRT54G router. Is this all i would need to set up a network or is there anything could you could recommend which would work more efficiently for my relatively small set-up. ( Sharing my broadband from one pc to an xbox/laptop in different area of the house.)

Thanks again

Kliro
26-09-2004, 16:10
you just need the router.

Tezcatlipoca
26-09-2004, 17:46
linksys WET54G bridge and Linksys WRT54G router. Is this all i would need to set up a network or is there anything could you could recommend which would work more efficiently for my relatively small set-up. ( Sharing my broadband from one pc to an xbox/laptop in different area of the house.)

Thanks again

Yep, that's fine. I've got a WRT54G & it works great :tu:

The router connects to the SACM, using the router's "WAN" port. The bridge connects to the XBox's ethernet port, giving the XBox a wireless connection to the router.

There's a little on XBox wireless gaming here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=1342

And a wireless networking info thread here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16296

you just need the router.

Nope. As he wants to connect his XBox wirelessly, he also requires the bridge he mentioned.

jayy
27-09-2004, 09:24
Thanks for the help, just shopping around to find the cheapest price for the wifi kit now!

SMHarman
27-09-2004, 11:05
<snip>network card for my pc, is that a lot for this kind of kit?
This can still be a wired connection (and it is probably best it is for setup purposes). Does you PC have an ethernet socket? If not, even a linksys LAN card is under £10 these days though, you can get an ebuyer special for £2.50.