PDA

View Full Version : Gravy Browning

Maggy
26-09-2004, 12:43
Now all of you know I advocate real cooking.This means I make my own gravy with the meat juices,flour and gravy browning.

Now I can quite happily do without the browning but my husband won't eat a roast dinner unless the gravy is BROWN.My problem is that I cannot actually BUY any gravy browning anywhere because all you lazy people seem to use ready made gravy and the supermarkets don't appear to stock it anymore "as there is no call for it".

So does anyone know where I can still buy this product? Can I buy it online anywhere?Or has anyone else come up with a suitable alternative?Worcestshire Sauce is no good as it just adds flavour and Soya sauce just makes it saltier.I even tried mushroom essence but that has little effect.

To think the product that supplied all the young women during the WW11 with make do stockings has vanished from history is a real shame! :(

Incog hoping for some answers. :)

SMHarman
26-09-2004, 12:46
Is that how you make thick brown gravy, never knew that.

I thicken mine with flour and cornflower. Can you use Stock cubes for colour?

Electrolyte01
26-09-2004, 12:48
My mom still uses that type of gravy you talk about, using the juices etc but I don't have a clue where she gets it all from :erm:

Ramrod
26-09-2004, 12:54
We use bisto to make the gravy brown and thicken it......

Maggy
26-09-2004, 12:57
We use bisto to make the gravy brown and thicken it......

BISTO!

Get behind me Spawn of the Devil!

Incog. :D

homealone
26-09-2004, 12:59
Try here Incog

http://www.oldjake.co.uk/

- bring back Burdalls, eh :)

chambece
26-09-2004, 12:59
Is that like Gravy Salt? I used to love eating big chunks of that when I was a kid....

Maggy
26-09-2004, 13:02
Try here Incog

http://www.oldjake.co.uk/

- bring back Burdalls, eh :)

Thank You!A rep to you sir!

and several of these. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

EDIT:What a terrific site!So helpful to their customers and the poems are great.

homealone
26-09-2004, 13:05
Thank You!A rep to you sir!

and several of these. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

:blush: - no problem, gth :)

Electrolyte01
26-09-2004, 13:11
:blush: - no problem, gth :)
Awww he's gone all blush now :D

Scrubbs
26-09-2004, 15:38
I must admit I use a teaspoon of marmite (vegy friendly):)

It's usually enough to darken the gravy

Chimaera
26-09-2004, 16:05
Stupid question - and I did look at the site - is it ok for vegetarians? :erm: :dozey: :dunce: A Marmite disliking vegetarian at that!

homealone
26-09-2004, 16:21
Stupid question - and I did look at the site - is it ok for vegetarians? :erm: :dozey: :dunce: A Marmite disliking vegetarian at that!

afaik it's just caramel & salt, so should be fine for vegetarians. :)

Scrubbs
26-09-2004, 16:25
MARMITE YEAST EXTRACT INGREDIENTS:
Yeast Extract, Salt, Vegetable Extract, Niacin, Thiamin, Spice Extracts, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12

it says on the lable 100% vegitarian
taken from here http://www.marmite.com/marmite/about.html

Scrubbs
26-09-2004, 16:31
see attached:)

Ramrod
26-09-2004, 16:46
BISTO!

Get behind me Spawn of the Devil!

Incog. :DHuh? But that oldjake stuff is probably much the same :confused:
.......and whats wrong with bisto?

SMHarman
26-09-2004, 16:50
Now all of you know I advocate real cooking.This means I make my own gravy with the meat juices,flour and gravy browning.

Just walked past it on the shelf of my local Tesco.

Paul
26-09-2004, 16:51
Okay, how did a thread about gravy browning get past the "peachy sensor" :erm:

homealone
26-09-2004, 16:58
Huh? But that oldjake stuff is probably much the same :confused:
.......and whats wrong with bisto?

depends if you use powder, granules or 'gravy mix'

- 'original' powder contains wheatflour, ok for most people, but some are allergic.

- granules have wheatflour, soya & msg :(

- 'gravy mix' has wheatflour, milk, soya & msg :eek: - potential for multiple allergy problems there ;)

:p::D

Ramrod
26-09-2004, 17:05
depends if you use powder, granules or 'gravy mix'

- 'original' powder contains wheatflour, ok for most people, but some are allergic.

- granules have wheatflour, soya & msg :(

- 'gravy mix' has wheatflour, milk, soya & msg :eek: - potential for multiple allergy problems there ;)

:p::DWe use original and then add the juices to it.........didn't realise that was a heathen thing to do :D

Maggy
26-09-2004, 17:58

Well we are Tesco less here.I have to go miles to find the nearest one.I'll bear in in mind the next time I'm passing one though.Thanks.

Maggy
26-09-2004, 17:59
Okay, how did a thread about gravy browning get past the "peachy sensor" :erm:

Because it is actually a plea for help and not a time wasting pointless statement. ;)

Maggy
26-09-2004, 18:02
We use original and then add the juices to it.........didn't realise that was a heathen thing to do :D

Sorry but Bisto has a tang to it and I hate it.

Anyway nothing beats the flavour of beef roasted in a covering of ready made mustard.The juices only need thickening and colouring.Yum!!! :)

Nidge
26-09-2004, 19:07
MARMITE YEAST EXTRACT INGREDIENTS:
Yeast Extract, Salt, Vegetable Extract, Niacin, Thiamin, Spice Extracts, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12

it says on the lable 100% vegitarian
taken from here http://www.marmite.com/marmite/about.html

You took the words out of my mouth :D :D :D

daxx
27-09-2004, 14:08
Tesco's, Lidl's Summerfields, Safeway/Morrisons even our local shop (only cause I moan if they run out) and I HATE :mad: any form of 'pre made' gravy

Chris
27-09-2004, 14:16
Because it is actually a plea for help and not a time wasting pointless statement. ;)
So cutting and so true :D You have the measure of the man.

gary_580
27-09-2004, 14:35
You don't mention what brand you are looking for but you will find Crosse & Blackwell gravy browning in all mayor branches of Sainsbury's and Tesco

gary_580
27-09-2004, 14:37

My local Tescos has an opticians in it too :D

I complained for weeks on end that my wife wasnt buyer Tescos Finest Tea Cakes and she told me they never have them in stock. So off i trots to Tescos with her one week and there they are on the shelf.

hmmmm im sure its selective eyesight.

zovat
27-09-2004, 14:49
You don't mention what brand you are looking for but you will find Crosse & Blackwell gravy browning in all mayor branches of Sainsbury's and Tesco

Mmmmm - the C&B Browning is good :)

I do however add a teaspoon of marmite, as I find this adds a lovely richness to the colour, and a small twist to the flavour (but not for white meat - too strong for that) .

It's nice to know there are still some people out there who don't just go and buy granules and add water from the kettle :Yikes:

Maggy
27-09-2004, 15:52
Tesco's, Lidl's Summerfields, Safeway/Morrisons even our local shop (only cause I moan if they run out) and I HATE :mad: any form of 'pre made' gravy

Well Asda,Morrisons/Safeways and Waitrose don't sell it locally.I may have to go to the Adsa down Newgate Lane(whimper...not Newgate Lane)but I suspect they won't have it either.

By the way can anyone here get the Harpic original powder toilet cleaner?It's another product that is much better than newer products but can I buy it anywhere?No of course not. :rolleyes:

Incog. :)

homealone
27-09-2004, 15:57
Well Asda,Morrisons/Safeways and Waitrose don't sell it locally.I may have to go to the Adsa down Newgate Lane(whimper...not Newgate Lane)but I suspect they won't have it either.

By the way can anyone here get the Harpic original powder toilet cleaner?It's another product that is much better than newer products but can I buy it anywhere?No of course not. :rolleyes:

couple of places online

http://www.pattersons.co.uk/categories/891.html

http://www.completeclean.co.uk/acatalog/Toilet_and_Bathroom_Cleaners.html

:)

zovat
27-09-2004, 15:58

sainsburys online shopping list : Oscar Browning Gravy 150ml £0.72/unit

so if nothing else, you can do one online shop every now and again and get it :D

(see http://www.sainsburystoyou.com )

gary_580
27-09-2004, 15:58
By the way can anyone here get the Harpic original powder toilet cleaner?

Use less gravy browning and such a strong product wont be required :D

Nugget
27-09-2004, 16:08

I'm sure that won't taste very nice over your roast ;)

iadom
27-09-2004, 16:20
Always use gravy browning, only problem is if you don't use it for a few weeks, it can be hell trying to unscrew the cap, its sets better than loctite.

Pierre
27-09-2004, 16:23
By the way can anyone here get the Harpic original powder toilet cleaner?It's another product that is much better than newer products but can I buy it anywhere?No of course not.

Incog.

was always a big fan of ""VIM""

karis
05-03-2010, 09:41
A few years ago I was walloping my bedroom in a cream colour and I wanted to paint the cornices in a darker colour. Being quite lazy and couldn't be bothered to go and buy some I mixed some gravy browning with some of the cream paint and I thought it looked great, a bit grainy looking, but it did the job. My mum couldn't stop laughing when I told her.

I've just tried to buy some at Tescos but they said they don't sell it anymore.
Oh, not for decorating!!

joglynne
05-03-2010, 10:08
A few years ago I was walloping my bedroom in a cream colour and I wanted to paint the cornices in a darker colour. Being quite lazy and couldn't be bothered to go and buy some I mixed some gravy browning with some of the cream paint and I thought it looked great, a bit grainy looking, but it did the job. My mum couldn't stop laughing when I told her.

I've just tried to buy some at Tescos but they said they don't sell it anymore.
Oh, not for decorating!!

First thing first. Welcome to the forum Karis.

I have a similar story, when my husband tiled our first tiny kitchen we went for a very dark tile to offset the white goods but using white grout totally spoiled the effect.

As buying an expensive bag of dark brown colour for such a small area went against the grain when he knew he would not have much call to use it in the future (Wall and Floor tiler by trade) he decided to experiment and we ended up with a lovely shade of brown grout using a mixture of Gravy Browning and Instant Coffee granules. :)

Graham M
05-03-2010, 11:57
Awesome! But strange twist on a 6 year old thread xD

joglynne
05-03-2010, 13:17
Awesome! But strange twist on a 6 year old thread xD

Agreed, but at least it showed that a new member had used our search facility and it seemed churlish to ignore her first post. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2013/08/11.gif