PDA

View Full Version : disposing of cars in herts

iain_herts
25-09-2004, 12:21
hi all just got my self a new car vauxhall corsa and i am trying to find out how to get my old car scrapped in herts but been trying to look on the hertfordshire county councial website with no luck. i will even paysome1 to take it away if need be just went to get rid of it been a bad luck car lol.

thanks for ur help
iain

Caspar
25-09-2004, 12:39
Phone up a scrap yard and ask if they want to buy it....I did this years ago. I was like you and just wanted rid, and didn't care about selling it....so I phone a few up and one couldn't get around mine quick enough and paid me £20...T he car as a whole car was prob worth £100... but its components worth, to the scrappie, would be worth 5/10 times that...

Don't pay someone to get rid...someone will buy it from you. :)

p.s. I used the £20 to treat the girlfriend, at that time, to a eat out. Got points there aswell as getting shot of the car ;)

MovedGoalPosts
25-09-2004, 12:39
I think these sort of initiatives are more likely to be run at your local borough rather than county level.

There used to be lots of adverts in the local freebie newspapers for people wanting mot failures and that sort of stuff. Have a check for those, but if you do get rid of the car that way make sure you fill out and sent off the registered keeper form, so if the car does reappear on the road you don't get the tickets.

Of course you could just to do what many do: abandon it, somewhere where is will quickely be dismantled by the locals, turn into an eyesore that the council will then willingly just remove :shrug:

iain_herts
25-09-2004, 13:02
well mum and dad sold there old car years ago sent of the form and after my dad past away the concuil sent a letter saying they have found our car abonded around the corner and disposed of our car and that we owed them £180 for it lol.1 thing i need some more advice on is that this car is going into vauxhall to have a service and 1 thing i did notice was that it was pulling to the left a bit but the tyer was fine any idea wot would cause this and would they fix it.

thanks again for your help guys

iain

Chris
25-09-2004, 13:05
hi all just got my self a new car vauxhall corsa and i am trying to find out how to get my old car scrapped in herts but been trying to look on the hertfordshire county councial website with no luck. i will even paysome1 to take it away if need be just went to get rid of it been a bad luck car lol.

thanks for ur help
iain

Drive it to Hemel Hempstead and dump it on the grass verge somewhere up the Link Road. That's what everybody else seems to do round here. :dozey: ;)

dilli-theclaw
25-09-2004, 13:07
Drive it to Hemel Hempstead and dump it on the grass verge somewhere up the Link Road. That's what everybody else seems to do round here. :dozey: ;)

Actually I was going to suggest the field next to where I work - It's not a good week if there isn't at least three cars set alight there. ;) :D

MovedGoalPosts
25-09-2004, 13:21
1 thing i need some more advice on is that this car is going into vauxhall to have a service and 1 thing i did notice was that it was pulling to the left a bit but the tyer was fine any idea wot would cause this and would they fix it.

iain

Moving :notopic: to your original post, could be a number of things. No doubt the car has been "kerbed" at some time. Wheel and tyre may look OK now, probably cos they've been replaced. First thing to get checked is the tracking, one wheel may not be pointing quite forward. You want to hope it's that simple 'cos if trackings not the issue it points to damage to the chassis alignment, or at least that something underneath the car is bent. You did do a test drive before you got the car didn't you?

iain_herts
25-09-2004, 13:24
oh yeah i did and its going into vauxhall the dealer where i got it from is doing it and if its not fixed then im not haveing it

Flubflow
25-09-2004, 13:58
1 thing i need some more advice on is that this car is going into vauxhall to have a service and 1 thing i did notice was that it was pulling to the left a bit but the tyer was fine any idea wot would cause this and would they fix it.

iain

Binding brakes on one side is my theory (could be front or back) `cos that's what happend to mine when it was pulling to one side slightly (whether braking or not but usually when not).
Cause of binding could be various things. Sticking/leaking wheel cylinder on rear or sticking caliper on front.

Note: Dealers will charge the earth. A brake caliper from a dealer can be say £200 but from the local discount parts place it can be as little as £25 (mine was). Futhermore, at the same time as the caliper job I got some new discs + pads fitted too, the whole shebang cost £83 total inc fitting. The dealer would have been 4 times that. Obviously that's all academic if your car is under warranty.

Chris W
25-09-2004, 14:01

thanks for ur help
iain

the classified section of your local paper usually has adverts such as "cars wanted for cash, any condition...etc" find one of these and you might get a few quid for the car.

carlingman
26-09-2004, 02:51

thanks for ur help
iain

Not that I condone this but what you should do is keep the old car insured etc. and slipped a mate a few quid and given him a spare key then get him to drive the car to a secluded spot and smash the ignition barrel up and then smash the door lock and then set fire to the car and run like the wind.

Report the car stolen after your mate has confirmed the deed is done and hey presto you will get more than the scrap value.

Not a good idea though if you have not got a no claims protection.

And on a side note please make sure the car insured before doing this as I did it once for a mate after he bumped his fathers pride and joy of a car and couldnt face telling his father as he was pre warned before his father left for a holiday if he drove his car he would be homeless.

So me mate rather than fess up that he bumped his fathers car decided the best option would be to tell him it was nicked and burnt out not realising the insurance had elapsed.

Result was burnt out car, very annoyed dad and innocent looking son and me guilty as hell looking friend.

:D

Escapee
26-09-2004, 11:31
Not that I condone this but what you should do is keep the old car insured etc. and slipped a mate a few quid and given him a spare key then get him to drive the car to a secluded spot and smash the ignition barrel up and then smash the door lock and then set fire to the car and run like the wind.

Report the car stolen after your mate has confirmed the deed is done and hey presto you will get more than the scrap value.

Not a good idea though if you have not got a no claims protection.

And on a side note please make sure the car insured before doing this as I did it once for a mate after he bumped his fathers pride and joy of a car and couldnt face telling his father as he was pre warned before his father left for a holiday if he drove his car he would be homeless.

So me mate rather than fess up that he bumped his fathers car decided the best option would be to tell him it was nicked and burnt out not realising the insurance had elapsed.

Result was burnt out car, very annoyed dad and innocent looking son and me guilty as hell looking friend.

:D

Carlingman, you may also of heard about Llanwern steelkworks?

I have heard a few stories about complete cars dissapearing in the furnace. I dont know if its a myth or true, but have been told it used to happen on the night shift there now and again.

I also got offered some items in the pub many years ago, they reportably came from the steelworks and were supposed to be melted down in the furnace. I understand most of the gun amnesty weapons ended up there!

Our local scrap yard is also a good place to get rid of a vehice, an electrician parked his fairly new van next to the crusher whilst he was carrying out some electrical work for the yard, the van was picked up and dropped in the crusher along with all its contents.

Thats certainly no rumour, I know the guilty party. :D