PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent connections STB Harrogate HG5

lima
24-09-2004, 20:26
Hmmmmmmmm.......

On the 1Mb service, all has been fine for past 12 months, swopped to Samsung a few weeks ago - all fine for past three weeks.

Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email). Happens during the day but seems worse late afternoon and evening. I use a Manchester proxy as the Leeds ones are abysmal.

Had to reboot the STB (and router, in that order) to regain a connection 4 times in 30 mins tonight so rang the NTL support line. 35 mins later spoke to a technician who suggested it was my "2004 version of Norton AntiVirus at fault" (que?). If thats the case, how come it also affects my 2nd PC (I use a router to split the broadband signal) which runs NAV2003 at the same time ?!

Anyway, "no reported faults in your area" was the line BUT I have a mate in Derby who's getting same symptoms as me and a few posts here seem to suggest that all is not well with the NTL network at the moment.

Any ideas from the insiders! ;)

Cheers

L

paulyoung666
24-09-2004, 20:29
hi and :welcome: to the site , have you tried without a proxy would be my first port of call :)

markmarkymark
24-09-2004, 20:59
Hi and welcome too !

Similar in Reading this week. Needs everything turning off and then on again before getting a connection can be made again. I have tried proxy changes with mixed results - but once everythings dies there is nothing other than a reset required

M

scrotnig
24-09-2004, 21:28
Hmmmmmmmm.......

On the 1Mb service, all has been fine for past 12 months, swopped to Samsung a few weeks ago - all fine for past three weeks.

Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email). Happens during the day but seems worse late afternoon and evening. I use a Manchester proxy as the Leeds ones are abysmal.

Had to reboot the STB (and router, in that order) to regain a connection 4 times in 30 mins tonight so rang the NTL support line. 35 mins later spoke to a technician who suggested it was my "2004 version of Norton AntiVirus at fault" (que?). If thats the case, how come it also affects my 2nd PC (I use a router to split the broadband signal) which runs NAV2003 at the same time ?!

Anyway, "no reported faults in your area" was the line BUT I have a mate in Derby who's getting same symptoms as me and a few posts here seem to suggest that all is not well with the NTL network at the moment.

Any ideas from the insiders! ;)

Cheers

L

Try removing the manual proxy and see if that improves matters.
If you are still struggling, try choosing some others at random from this list:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/84/list-of-ntl-proxy-servers-new-format

BBKing
24-09-2004, 21:39
Fire me your MAC address and I'll see if anything appears wrong at a glance.

paulyoung666
24-09-2004, 21:51
Fire me your MAC address and I'll see if anything appears wrong at a glance.

without trying to sound funny , take advice from the mods of this site before you give mac addresses or i.p.'s to anyone asking for them , @BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy just giving a cautionary warning out :angel:

homealone
24-09-2004, 22:07
without trying to sound funny , take advice from the mods of this site before you give mac addresses or i.p.'s to anyone asking for them , @BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy just giving a cautionary warning out :angel:

that's good advice, Paul, new members may not know that e.g. BBK is to be trusted with that stuff, they should always clear it with a mod :tu:

BBKing
24-09-2004, 22:27
@BBKing i am not suggesting that you are in any way dodgy

You haven't seen how I dress. I look like I should be sitting under a bridge drinking meths out of a paper bag.

Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl, and am to be trusted as much as the next monkey (see other threads).

homealone
24-09-2004, 22:39
You haven't seen how I dress. I look like I should be sitting under a bridge drinking meths out of a paper bag.

Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl, and am to be trusted as much as the next monkey (see other threads).

how many times have I told you, drink the meths through the paper bag, it filters out the broken glass ;) :D

Tristan
24-09-2004, 22:40
You work for NTL now? I have been away a long time. What happen to your proud "I don't work for NTL, I'm just on contract"?

Tezcatlipoca
25-09-2004, 01:17
Anyway, lima, I do work for ntl

Indeed he does :)

lima
25-09-2004, 10:05
Hi Guys, and thanks so much for the advice and offers of help. Couldn't believe I had 10 replies when I logged in this morning :)

Anyway, went out last night (well it was Friday!) and this morning (I'm just going to touch some wood) all seems well..... However, the dropouts seem to occur during the day intermittently and worse after 5 pm so lets see what happens.

I have tried running without specifying a manual proxy and I find surfing slower than with a manual proxy. However I've now made sure I'm on one that is specified on the list that Mark B linked to.

BB, I've PM'd you with my MAC address - many thanks for your offer of help. A large crate of meths will follow if you can get to the bottom of this :D

This is one great resource!

I'll keep you all updated on performance......

Ignition
25-09-2004, 16:28
Last 3-4 days keep dropping connections. The service is racing along, then browsing gets slower and then the connection drops (both internet browsing AND email).

Note the AND email bit gents, not proxy methinks.

lima, if BBKing hasn't gotten back to you feel free to PM me an IP address / MAC address and will check it out, just in case Mr King is busier than normal!