PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the news

SOSAGES
24-09-2004, 09:33
Anyone noticed of late the extra pointless info news programs (tv.radio.internet) give you these days? even the bbc have started to do it.

i will give ya an example so u know what p!sses me off :)

roy keane story thats been in the news lately "mr keane was interviewed outside his 1.7million house last night" - WTF has the price of his house got to do with it?

"the gay actress Ellen DeGeneres was rushed to hostpital yesterday following a fall." wtf has being gay got to do with it?

"the black shop owner mr sing was stabbed twice" wtf has being black got to do with it ...

arghhhh all day long gay black lesbien ...i dont get many:

"The white hetrosexual football manager Brian clough passed away today"

- so to all news shows - tell me the news dont make it.

SOSAGES
24-09-2004, 09:34
*had to get that off my chest*

Graham
24-09-2004, 22:23
Curiously enough, I'm just watching Grumpy Old Men... :D

andygrif
24-09-2004, 23:24
LOL...I was just going say that too.

Maggy
24-09-2004, 23:26
Anyone noticed of late the extra pointless info news programs (tv.radio.internet) give you these days? even the bbc have started to do it.

i will give ya an example so u know what p!sses me off :)

roy keane story thats been in the news lately "mr keane was interviewed outside his 1.7million house last night" - WTF has the price of his house got to do with it?

"the gay actress Ellen DeGeneres was rushed to hostpital yesterday following a fall." wtf has being gay got to do with it?

"the black shop owner mr sing was stabbed twice" wtf has being black got to do with it ...

arghhhh all day long gay black lesbien ...i dont get many:

"The white hetrosexual football manager Brian clough passed away today"

- so to all news shows - tell me the news dont make it.

The newspapers have always done that Sosages.They even included a person's age besides their gender which always annoyed me.Mind I'm surprised at the description of someone being black.I thought they were very careful not to give any offence along racist lines.

Also the amount of times such info is wrongly reported in different newspapers(one person is 28 in one paper and 36 in another)makes one wonder why they bother. :shrug:

BBKing
25-09-2004, 16:03
How about 'the musician Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam'? I don't recall hearing 'the boxer Cassius Clay, now known as Muhammed Ali' lately. Or 'Elizabeth von Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, now known as The Queen' Give him his proper name!

Heywood Jablowmi, formerly known as BBKing

Ramrod
25-09-2004, 16:56
How about 'the musician Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam'?.....Give him his proper name!You mean 'Steve Georgiou'? :D

poolking
25-09-2004, 16:56
I agree sosages, thats what pees me off with the papers, trying to bring race etc., into a story line to try and make it seem different than any other incident that goes on.

So if I went out and stubbed my toe and the local paper happened to cover it, would calling me a 5ft 3in shortarse make any difference than if a giant 7ft tall bloke did the same thing?

Papers really need to print what is actually interesting or is going to affect us in some way.

cookie_365
25-09-2004, 23:09
Well, if part or all of the reason why Mr X was stabbed was that he is black, then that would make the story slightly different, so I think it would be reasonable to mention that. But if there was no reason to think that - e.g a robbery with no racially aggravated factors, then yes, I would agree that saying whether he was black/white/anything else would seem besides the point.

I vaguely remember a few years ago about a study of overcharging by black cab drivers. There was a big hoo-ha about this being racist, until the author pointed out that he was referring to overcharging by drivers of black cabs, and the story got mangled by the sub-eds ! ;)

Stuart
25-09-2004, 23:33
<snip>
It's not new, they have always done it (as Incog says)

Also the amount of times such info is wrongly reported in different newspapers(one person is 28 in one paper and 36 in another)makes one wonder why they bother.)I remember reading in a paper once that when asked her age, Janet Jackson replied "Well, I am 29, 36 or 40 depending on which PR person you ask".

kronas
25-09-2004, 23:40
the media dependant on the story wants to try and attract people who are nosey in other peoples lives the 'added information' being talked about is there to give you a background and history to that person, but as humans, (as i have noticed with people when coming in to contact with them) we seem to be inherantly nosey about aspects of other people.