PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband and Norton Personal Firewall 2004

James79
23-09-2004, 17:30
Wonder if anyone could assist me here?

Turned on the computer this morning and a "Norton PF - Network Detector" box appeared stating that a new network had been detected. It provides the Gateway MAC ID, Gateway IP Address and the Local IP. It then asks me to make a selection as to which location I would like to use, either - Home, Office, Away or Use Custom Settings. There is no option to refuse to join this network only an "OK" button.

Im just cautious incase this is malicious or something?? Any ideas - obviously there are Numbers associated with the MAC and IP Addresses - can these be traced? If so - how?

Im also aware that NTL were working in my area last night - according to the server status page - perhaps this may have something to do with it??

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

James

Paul
23-09-2004, 17:46
I suspect that the work carried out means you will have picked up a new IP, probably on a new subnet. What did you choose, and what are you using atm ?

James79
23-09-2004, 17:52
In terms of the firewall settings, I am currently using the Default Settings, I would choose that - but there is no such option provided. Sorry about this, but Im a bit out of touch with all this BB settings stuff!!

Hope this is what you were looking for Paul!!??
:angel:

James

Paul
23-09-2004, 17:58
I'm afraid I don't know much about NPF, but it seems that you picked up a brand new ip last night, on a new ntl subnet, and NPF appears to have noticed that your ip has changed and is asking you what label to attach to the new 'network', so I would choose "home".

As to what other effects this choice will have, I'll leave that to someone who knows about Norton.

James79
23-09-2004, 18:16
Thanks Paul - Ive followed Robin Walkers advice as to how to find out Ip and MAC Addresses and these appear to match. I'll do as you advise - thanks for your help!!

PS - NPF has been more trouble than enough - the last version I had started throwing up Denial of Service pages.

But hey!! Its all good fun!!

James

Mal
23-09-2004, 19:16
Choose home.