PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling all burner software and related files help big time

RAJ
11-08-2003, 22:58
Ok I have a problem with my philips cd rewriter where the only stuff i can burn to disk succesfully is audio files. I can't transfer any photos or video files as they all corrupt while writing.

1st i thought it was the drive but i removed it and tried it in another machine and all ok.

now I want to remove all burning software ( currently got NERO 6)
and any other files related to burning cds so I can reinstall and start from scratch.

can anyone suggest the best way to remove these files and suggest any files other than nero that i should remove/update.

also i have an updated firmware for the drive but that fails as well so i can't reflash the firmware.

any help would be appreciated as this is sending me nuts.

homealone
11-08-2003, 23:14
go back to a last known good 5.5 installation.

6.0 is for new installs only?

paulyoung666
11-08-2003, 23:17
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm nero 6 , now there was a problem with it but i cant remember what tbh , is there any reason why you cant do a system restore back to before you installed nero 6 and any other burning programs , are you running xp ??????????
if you are then can you use the inbuilt software to save to cd-r and then format your hard drive ;)

RAJ
11-08-2003, 23:18
what about aspi files and atapi should i remove all of those as well?

RAJ
11-08-2003, 23:21
never burnt ok as far as i'm aware. so can't system restore, also fails using xp's software and i'm using xp pro

paulyoung666
11-08-2003, 23:24
Originally posted by RAJ
never burnt ok as far as i'm aware. so can't system restore, also fails using xp's software and i'm using xp pro

ok ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you take a file or folder , right click on it and select your cd-r drive do you get an icon in your taskbar saying summat like files ready to send to or summat like that ?????????????
if you do then burn the lot to cd and reformat , problem solved ;)

RAJ
11-08-2003, 23:33
I think you misunderstand, i can send them to the cdr and it will burn them, but when you recall it from the cdr the data is corrupt.

i will just reformat as a last resort and lose whatevers on the c: drive which is mainly xp as i put most of my other stuff on another partition. i'm just trying to avoid that if at all possible.

paulyoung666
11-08-2003, 23:48
ok then ................... have you tried some different cd-r's just to make sure you aint got a bad batch of them , it can happen ;)

RAJ
12-08-2003, 00:05
maxell, tdk, philips all data discs not audio ones, and have even tried burning at 1X speed. have treid cdr's and cdrw's but still the same results.

paulyoung666
12-08-2003, 00:26
have you tried removing the cd drive physically from the pc ?????????? , have you tried slaving it to your hard drive as opposed to primary on your second ide bus or the other way around as the case maybe :p :p :p

RAJ
12-08-2003, 00:44
yeah iv'e removed it and put it in another pc and it was fine. but i haven't tried it it as a slave in my own. its on the same ide cable as my dvd rom drive so i could try swopping them around and see what happens.

paulyoung666
12-08-2003, 10:12
sometimes you need to be on a different ide bus :)

RAJ
18-08-2003, 23:58
Sorry to bump an old thread to the top again, but thought I'd pass on how i got this working in case anyone else gets a similiar prob with a philips cd rewriter.

I found out why I couldn't reflash the firmware, there was a jumper on the rear of the drive for factory use only(whatever that means I assume some form of testing when they build it)

once removed the firmware was updated. however this jumper was also the reason the data being written to the discs was corrupted as well as if i put it back in i get dodgy discs and if i leave it out I'm a happy bunny and all discs are fine.

So thanks for all the suggestions and possible causes and just remember this if you hear of anyone else with a similiar fault. I know i won't forget it in a hurry.

:wavey: