PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 9.1 - Question (fraz?)

Richard M
11-08-2003, 21:47
Will a 2.1GB drive be big enough for Mandrake 9.1?

I have three of these plus an 8GB (WinXP Pro), 4GB (Win 2000 Pro) and a 60GB (TV programmes + games) which are all in use and I don't want to make a dual booter at the moment.
I'm downloading the ISO images now.

One other thing, does anyone know of a simple CD ROM ISO burning program?
Can XP Pro do this within the OS?
Any free programs/trials that anyone knows of?

Thanks. :)

Tricky
11-08-2003, 21:59
It will fit in 2gb but not everything...depends what you want to use, I never install the games and office & media type tools just the server stuff and I get in at about 1.7gb...

If you're only playing try a demo version of vmware (not sure about 9.1 though! - Redhat 8 is fine!)

Richard M
11-08-2003, 22:01
Hmm....<looks at the 4GB drive...> :erm:

I'm going to need swap file space too. Doh!

Tricky
11-08-2003, 22:03
Partition Magic and split your 8gb?

Richard M
11-08-2003, 22:07
Oh no..did that before on my 60GB drive with Win 2000 and RedHat 8.
They really didn't get on very well and now my fast 60GB drive is useless as a booter.
That's why I'm stuck with the 8GB for XP and I'm not risking that. :disturbd:

fraz
11-08-2003, 23:23
I've installed a usable version into a 1Gb partition on a lappy. Its a question of what you want to install, development stuff or basic apps such as web browsers office etc

Ive got the full KDE install on there plus some multimedia stuff (gimp,GTkam;kiconedit,xmms,kaudiocreator,xine etc)

Networking wise theres konquror or mozilla for browsing, gaim for instant messaging,tightvnc, havent bothered with office apps altho I have quite a few of the development libraries on there.

128Mb used as swap got around a128 Mb free on the linux partion (although it has access to the 3.0Gb free on the Windows partition

Footnote: Mandrake has an option to install as a virtual file system within an exisiting windows partition altho there is a performance hit.

Richard M
11-08-2003, 23:37
Thanks for the expert advice. :)
I'm going to use the 4GB anyway and let the Win2k machine have the 2GB.