PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband registration woes

jamesf
22-09-2004, 14:06
Hi

Got my 300K broadband installed yesterday and am unable to register. Have spoken to tech support who directed me to the autoregister site but I still get "modem not recognised as ntl modem" errors.

Tech support then realised it was an open issue and couldn't tell me when it would be fixed.

From the looks of the network status archive there have been lots of similar periods when new users haven't been able to register. Apparently this one is to do with particular MAC addresses of the modems not being identified as NTL ones. The open issue was opened on the 14th september and is marked as ongoing. Was wondering if anyone knows how long these things take to get fixed as its obviously an ongoing problem?

James

gary_580
22-09-2004, 15:05
I had to register a MAC addr to my modem earlier today. I managed to to do that part of the registration but the contact to NTL failed so i dont know if their registration process is borked again.

According to this

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

its not been working for over a week

Shaun
22-09-2004, 15:07
This thread will probably interest you:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=17571&page=1&pp=15

jamesf
22-09-2004, 15:17
Thanks for the link. This sounds like my problem :-

"A problem has come to light with modems that have a MAC address starting 00028A5. These are not being recognised by the provisioning system, and therefore cannot currently be registered.

This is being treated as a maximum priority problem and will be rectified shortly.

No other MAC addresses are affected."

Guess I'll just have to keep trying until it works.

Regards,

James

TiggerT
22-09-2004, 15:40
Unfortunately I'm at work work at the moment so can't check my MAC address, but reckon I've probably got that problem too.
I guess I'll just keep trying it too, and hope it's sorted quickly.

Thanks to the NTL guys who post here. It's SO much easier than getting through your official lines!

T.

scrotnig
22-09-2004, 15:52
I can promise that this really WILL be sorted as soon as humanly possible.

I've got several customers waiting on my being able to register their modem, as soon as it's sorted I'll post back.

I agree it's not a good start for those of you new to the service. :(

jamesf
22-09-2004, 15:57
Thanks Mark. I must admit it didn't inspire me with confidence when it didn't work out of the box!

Though I must say the engineer who came out was very helpful indeed despite having the fun of finding the right blanking plates for the NTL cables in my flat.

My experience of Customer Service thus far has been reasonably good despite all the complaints in here (I was left on hold for a fair while but no longer than I would for any other company support line I've dealt with recently)

Regards,

James

oxbro
22-09-2004, 19:36
My experience of Customer Service thus far has been reasonably good despite all the complaints in here (I was left on hold for a fair while but no longer than I would for any other company support line I've dealt with recently)We've made two calls about the failure of the registration server to recognise the account and pin number. Both support personel were as helpful as they could be but were unable to resolve the problem.
It would be helpful if there was a service status Internet page that would explain the unresolved issues and suggest when they'll be fixed. At least then NTL customers could stop wasting their time by phoning support over issues that can't be resolved.
Perhaps this information is available somewhere that I don't know about. Any suggestions?
I'm trying to help my daughter get the NTL broadband service connected to a house in Oxford.

oxbro
22-09-2004, 19:47
Perhaps this information is available somewhere that I don't know about. Oops! just found the page lurking behind an open browser window.;)
Some new ntl broadband internet customers attempting to register for the service may be unable to do so at present seeing an error message such as 'server dead' or suggesting that there is a discrepancy with their order details.

This is due to a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.We'll just have to wait 'til its fixed........... bit of a nightmare for someone.:Yikes:

scrotnig
22-09-2004, 19:53
We've made two calls about the failure of the registration server to recognise the account and pin number. Both support personel were as helpful as they could be but were unable to resolve the problem.
It would be helpful if there was a service status Internet page that would explain the unresolved issues and suggest when they'll be fixed. At least then NTL customers could stop wasting their time by phoning support over issues that can't be resolved.
Perhaps this information is available somewhere that I don't know about. Any suggestions?
I'm trying to help my daughter get the NTL broadband service connected to a house in Oxford.
As far as I knew, this particular issue was sorted.

Have you had anyone test your PIN for you?

I'm not at work at the mo, but one of the tech support guys/gals might be able to assist.

If not, I can test it tomorrow.

oxbro
22-09-2004, 20:59
Have you had anyone test your PIN for you?I assumed that that was what the second support call was for. We've got an 'issue number' for each call to support. During the second call we attempted to proceed with the registration but were unable to validate the account. The support guy advised that the Oxford area was affected by the registration problem. He verified that the pin was correct. We were on the phone for quite a long time but there was nothing more that he could do.If not, I can test it tomorrow.Thanks, shall I email the 'issue numbers' directly to you?

scrotnig
22-09-2004, 21:05
I assumed that that was what the second support call was for. We've got an 'issue number' for each call to support. During the second call we attempted to proceed with the registration but were unable to validate the account. The support guy advised that the Oxford area was affected by the registration problem. He verified that the pin was correct. We were on the phone for quite a long time but there was nothing more that he could do.Thanks, shall I email the 'issue numbers' directly to you?
If you PM me the actual PIN number I will have a look at it and see what I can find out....

TiggerT
23-09-2004, 07:57
Hmm, checked my MAC address last night, it starts with 00028a1
So if you're sure that problem is only affecting 00028a5 ones then I guess that's not the problem I'm seeing.

It's strange though because the rest of the registration procedure seems to work, it seems to check the account OK, just not the modem.
I've also checked my power and noise levels using that diagnostics page, and everything seems to be within the ranges.

I guess I'll just keep trying and hope whichever problem I'm seeing is fixed soon.

T.

oxbro
23-09-2004, 08:18
I guess I'll just keep trying and hope whichever problem I'm seeing is fixed soon.There must be a lot of people in the same situation. It'll be very frustrating for those without access to a forum like this one. They say that a problem shared is a problem halved and I'm sure that once the registration problems have been fixed someone will post a message somewhere in one of these threads.;)

scrotnig
23-09-2004, 09:12
Hmm, checked my MAC address last night, it starts with 00028a1
So if you're sure that problem is only affecting 00028a5 ones then I guess that's not the problem I'm seeing.

It's strange though because the rest of the registration procedure seems to work, it seems to check the account OK, just not the modem.
I've also checked my power and noise levels using that diagnostics page, and everything seems to be within the ranges.

I guess I'll just keep trying and hope whichever problem I'm seeing is fixed soon.

T.
PM me the PIN you've been given and I'll get it checked for you.

fatlip180
23-09-2004, 14:44
Hello all - this is my 1st message - its a great forum-

I got my broadband on monday and cannot register or activate my connection as my mac address starts with the 000285a or something like that. Anyway - after ringing again today at 1200 the nice guy on the other end of the phone told me that i should try and connect again at 1500 as the problem should be solved. is this correct? has anyone else been told this? Or have i been fobbed off again?

Apparantly - from another phone call to technical support - every new customer is experiencing this problem. If that is true then why are they still taking on new customers? While i can understand no proper company turns away customers - surely its better to delay any installations of broadband until the probem is resolved rather than just carrying on and upsetting new customers?

scrotnig
23-09-2004, 14:53

I got my broadband on monday and cannot register or activate my connection as my mac address starts with the 000285a or something like that. Anyway - after ringing again today at 1200 the nice guy on the other end of the phone told me that i should try and connect again at 1500 as the problem should be solved. is this correct? has anyone else been told this? Or have i been fobbed off again?

Apparantly - from another phone call to technical support - every new customer is experiencing this problem. If that is true then why are they still taking on new customers? While i can understand no proper company turns away customers - surely its better to delay any installations of broadband until the probem is resolved rather than just carrying on and upsetting new customers?
There's a problem with MAC addresses in that range, it should be fixed soon but I've not been given a time or date as yet.

Graham F
23-09-2004, 14:56

:welcome:

if you look here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/) it will tell you when the registraion issues are sorted :)

fatlip180
23-09-2004, 15:03
are we talking date and time - or couple of hours? Its really frustrating - i know that you guys are in a really poor situation here but has there been absolutely no word apart from the 'as soon as possible'

The lady on the phone explained to me that beacuse every1 in the country (new customers) were involved it would be given the upmost prioity. But if every1 in the country is involved - then why does no one seem to know a proper timescale? ntl must have lost lots of customers due to such poor delay. imagine how much of an uproar there would be if sky digital didnt work for new customers. It would be all over the news, press etc..

Sorry for babbling on - i know that the staff who post on here aren't to blame. and there advice is invaluable. i just need to vent my frustrations somewhere.

Graham F
23-09-2004, 15:07
when there are issues with registration servers it is not always possible to give timescale on the fix, but it will be a proiority as you have been told. In fairness you don't have to register for sky digital do you?!? you are not comparing like for like IMO. You will find that all ISP's experience problems from time to time with servers, it is unfortionate that it has happened when you are trying to register.

My advice is to hang in there as it should hopefully be worth the wait when they get you running - enjoy the speed when you get it ;)

Jeff Solomon
23-09-2004, 15:51
I am new to the forum and to NTL Broadband. The cable and cable modem was installed yesterday morning (22 Sept. 2004) and yesterday evening I discovered that I could not register. After a long wait on the technical support line the engineer was helpful and I believed tried all in his power. Ultimately he was only able to report my problem, not to solve it. It appears that the MAC address of the cable modem is in the affected range.

It seems to me to be totally unacceptable that no forecast can be given as to when the problem will be solved. Furthermore why do NTL continue to install cable modems in this address range and, if the problem cannot be solved quickly why do they not start a programme of urgently swapping out these modems?

Jeff.

Russ
24-09-2004, 10:16
I've been asked to post the following....

The SACM registration problem mentioned earlier, whereby MAC addresses starting 00028a5 would not register, has now been fixed, and users should be able to be register as normal.

jamesf
24-09-2004, 10:19
Thanks Russ. Thats great news. Only 3 days late ;) Will get on to CS to get them to start my 60 days free access from today rather than Tuesday....

James

fatlip180
24-09-2004, 10:26
hi russ - thanks for that - has this been sorted on the service status page as well?

fatlip180
24-09-2004, 10:42
This was updated at 9.28 this morning - is it working or not?
Or is this from the wrong fault?

ntl: broadband customers attempting to register for the service will currently be unable to do so due to a technical fault. If your call is to do with registering for the service please accept our apologies for any inconvenience, there is no need to speak to a technical support representative. We would advise that you attempt to register for the service at a later time.
This is due to a technical fault.

Our engineers are aware and are working towards a resolution.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Marge
24-09-2004, 11:10
Thanks Russ. Thats great news. Only 3 days late ;) Will get on to CS to get them to start my 60 days free access from today rather than Tuesday....

James

No need to ring anyone, trial starts from when you register !!

Just to clarify there were two different problems here, one was difficulty registering full stop whatever the mac address, the other was the modems starting 00028a5 weren't recognised on the system

Russ
24-09-2004, 11:15
This was updated at 9.28 this morning - is it working or not?

I've been reliably informed that it IS now working - please post any instances of this not being the case here.

fatlip180
24-09-2004, 12:48
mine is now working - thanx for all ure help

Russ
24-09-2004, 13:24
further update....

The reg issue on the service status page has been ongoing in some areas for a while, and is not related to MAC addresses.

There was a separate issue that was discovered on wednesday, whereby a new range of MAC addresses were being fitted in homes, but Harmony would not recognise them.
That's the one that got fixed today, but it was, as far as we know, NOT on the status page.

Customers with the MAC problem got an error to the effect that the system was unable to recognise their modem. Those customers should try to register again now if they have not yuet done so, and it should go through ok.

Whatever the issue is on the status page, that's obviously not been sorted, but it's not related to the MAC problem

TiggerT
24-09-2004, 16:12
Hmmm, I have a feeling I might have been experiencing BOTH problems!

Going home now to try it again!

T.

RATBOY99
24-09-2004, 19:09
so i moved from a telewest area to an ntl one, and its been appaling. not only is the new modem not registering, but the software now crashes complaining about dns addresses being unable to reset (or something). tried to reset them in dos but nothing doing.

now i know how ntl can charge cheap (ish) prices..they employ monkeys.

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2004, 20:02
so i moved from a telewest area to an ntl one, and its been appaling. not only is the new modem not registering

There are ongoing problems with registration.

Have you phoned Customer Services or Tech Support?

but the software now crashes complaining about dns addresses being unable to reset (or something). tried to reset them in dos but nothing doing.

What actual error are you getting? In what software?

You do not need to actually use the software from the ntl "Broadjump" cd at all. The only real need for the cd is for the USB drivers for the cable modem (although it's better to use an ethernet connection anyway).

now i know how ntl can charge cheap (ish) prices..they employ monkeys.

Although your frustration is understandable, making a comment like that is not likely to gain you any help or sympathy :td: . There are many very helpful ntl employees who post here at CF, & I very much doubt they would appreciate a comment suggesting ntl employ monkeys.

RATBOY99
24-09-2004, 20:08
hi, i was talking about the installation cd and the registration program that you have to launch (cant think of a way to register manually - if you have a tip would love to hear it).

of course they wouldnt appreciate being called monkeys. i based that throwaway remark on the 3 ntl employees ive come across so far. so to any ntl employees offended: im sorry for calling you a monkey: of course, i have no real way of knowing whether you are a monkey or not.

Tezcatlipoca
24-09-2004, 20:14
hi, i was talking about the installation cd and the registration program that you have to launch (cant think of a way to register manually - if you have a tip would love to hear it).

Yep, no need for the CD.

Try visiting https://autoreg.autoregister.net/start.html & use the PIN & serial from the "Welcome letter".

Also, it's worth a read of the links in this post: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=297668&postcount=4

of course they wouldnt appreciate being called monkeys. i based that throwaway remark on the 3 ntl employees ive come across so far. so to any ntl employees offended: im sorry for calling you a monkey: of course, i have no real way of knowing whether you are a monkey or not.

Just so long as you don't tar them all with the same brush. Although there are some ntl employees who aren't very helpful, there are also many who do a great job.

scrotnig
24-09-2004, 20:24
Yes, it's something that winds me up no end, running around in my own time and in lucnch breaks fixing problems only to be branded a monkey.

Besides which, ntl do NOT largely employ monkeys. The person on the end of the phone is invariably doing the best they can. If the registration server is down, there's not a damn thing they can do about it, whether they are a monkey or not.

BBKing
24-09-2004, 20:38
now i know how ntl can charge cheap (ish) prices..they employ monkeys

Oook. Will fix problems for bananas.

funkyhitman
25-09-2004, 15:40
Hello people. Ive been battling with the installation cd trying to register since wednesday. I thought i'd bypass the crappy cd sofware and register manually.

It worked!! I find it odd that registering with the cd does not work but manually does.

Does this mean the cds are at fault? Or maybe it was coincidental and the problem was fixed just before I registered manually.

Iain.

Paul
25-09-2004, 15:57
now i know how ntl can charge cheap (ish) prices..they employ m.....What a silly remark, and your first post as well. :rolleyes:

Normally we like to welcome new members, but in this case, I'm not sure that would be entirely appropiate.

Chris W
25-09-2004, 16:08
Hello people. Ive been battling with the installation cd trying to register since wednesday. I thought i'd bypass the crappy cd sofware and register manually.

It worked!! I find it odd that registering with the cd does not work but manually does.

Does this mean the cds are at fault? Or maybe it was coincidental and the problem was fixed just before I registered manually.

Iain.

The process that happens on the cd relies on different servers to the online registration process- this is likely to be why had you success with this and not the cd.

Glad that you got registered successfully :)

MB

EDIT: and :welcome: to the site :D

ben_keates
26-09-2004, 16:01
I'm also having the problem with registration. Now I've found how to do it manually from this message board, I'll give it a go. However, at the moment I'm on a workstation at University and not on my home machine, and when I clicked on the autoreg.autoregister link above, it said "your browser issued a request that was denied by the registration server" - is this because I tried it from the University network, or is it because this service is now unavailable as well? Should it work if I try it from home?

Also, at home we're working on a wireless network, so rather than plug the cable modem into my PC with an ethernet cable, the modem is plugged into a Linksys broadband router with my computer accessing that via a wireless PCI card. Should it still work in that setup, or should I plug my computer directly into the modem?

To the guys who work for NTL - I welcome any help that you can give and I know you're probably absolutely sick of people asking you this question, but just to clarify, is it possible to offer any sort of timescale for the resolution of this problem? Are we talking days, or weeks?

Any help here would be much appreciated - the problem is extremely frustrating, and even more so now I've discovered it's been dragging on for two weeks. Thanks.

homealone
26-09-2004, 16:46
I'm also having the problem with registration. Now I've found how to do it manually from this message board, I'll give it a go. However, at the moment I'm on a workstation at University and not on my home machine, and when I clicked on the autoreg.autoregister link above, it said "your browser issued a request that was denied by the registration server" - is this because I tried it from the University network, or is it because this service is now unavailable as well? Should it work if I try it from home?

Also, at home we're working on a wireless network, so rather than plug the cable modem into my PC with an ethernet cable, the modem is plugged into a Linksys broadband router with my computer accessing that via a wireless PCI card. Should it still work in that setup, or should I plug my computer directly into the modem?

To the guys who work for NTL - I welcome any help that you can give and I know you're probably absolutely sick of people asking you this question, but just to clarify, is it possible to offer any sort of timescale for the resolution of this problem? Are we talking days, or weeks?

Any help here would be much appreciated - the problem is extremely frustrating, and even more so now I've discovered it's been dragging on for two weeks. Thanks.

Hi :welcome: to the forum :)

I would imagine your failure to connect to the registration server is, indeed, due to trying to connect from uni.

Your idea to disconnect the router & connect the pc direct to the modem during registration sounds good - & it's probably an idea to temporarily disable any firewall software, also. - just don't forget to turn it back on ;)

ben_keates
27-09-2004, 11:12
Well, I tried using the manual registration as described earlier... and it worked fine first time! To the users who put up these instructions, thank you very much - if you're ever down in Leamington there'll be a pint waiting!

By the way, I did manage to do it via the router and wireless card... it didn't appear to be a problem.

Tezcatlipoca
27-09-2004, 19:03
Glad it worked for you :)

jhastie
05-10-2004, 18:54
Hi everyone, 1st post, sorry its slightly negative, but I have been trawling the net for some any extra info or help on this problem.

I got my NTL modem 2 weeks ago, and obviously like many others on here, I am unable to register, either via CD or using the online auto reg site.

It seems others have managed to resolve the problems by registering via the website, but I cant seem to be able to.

My MAC address starts 00028a1, which seems to be an issue.

Do any of the nice NTL people here have any new info on the reg server(s)?

At the moment I am using the free trial on AOL, but I only have 2 months :p:

Thanks guys :)

Marge
05-10-2004, 19:49
If you want to PM me your details I can have a nosey

jhastie
05-10-2004, 20:05
If you want to PM me your details I can have a nosey
Thanks alot Debsy, have PM'ed you, not sure which details you need. :)

yj6aa
05-10-2004, 20:49
I am having the same problems as well. I am in the luton area, and had broadband fitted last wednesday and still cant use it. I have noticed that my MAC address is 00.02.8A.50......

I know that companies have their problems, having worked alongside BT / Synergy network engineers but really is not a good example for new customers is it?

Does anyone in NTL have an early estimate of when the problem will be recitified? I can get the registration server page via my dialup but it gives an error about not reconigising the modem as mentioned above.

Would it be possible for someone to test my pin number?

utt
05-10-2004, 21:41
Hi and welcome to the site :welcome:

Could you confirm the 00.02.8A.50 MAC. If this is correct, are you trying to register AOL via cablemodem. If so this is a different process.
How is the modem badged, AOL or ntl?

Chris W
06-10-2004, 00:05

The problem with 00028a5 mac addresses has been resolved, so this will not be causing your issues. If you PM me your pin number and surname i can check that everything is set up correctly.

Also, try visiting https://80.5.178.26 via your broadband connection (this is the only site it will let you access) and see if you can register like that.

yj6aa
06-10-2004, 08:48
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. As I am at work now, I havent got my pin number so I will send it through as soon as I return.

In Reply to utt's message, I am registering a badged NTL Modem with the broadjump etc software. As I keep getting an error message during the registration process as it tries to connect to the server, I thought Ill try and use an NTL dialup account and go through another route and thus this didnt work (Although this may work for other people).

Thanks for the help, as I know that you dont get paid for it!!!

I can understand that somepeople get mythed by customer services and technical support services in any company, I work in a technical role and have to put out with people expecting miracles done within minutes of ringing, please give a chance. You will stand a better chance by:
1) giving us a full explation of what is wrong and write down any error message codes.
2) We may be already having a bad day, under a heavy workload, without you shouting down the phone at us. We will be motivated if give a thank you or have a joke!!.:)

big paul
08-10-2004, 21:55
this is the first time i have been on this site as i only had broadband fitted last wednesday and keep getting error messages when i try to register.
the ntl service status line suggested 80.5.178.26, tried it and got another error message, not a very good start, i may well stay with the aol dial up.

Graham M
08-10-2004, 21:57
AOL Dial Up?! Are you mad? That could be the cause in the first place!!

big paul
08-10-2004, 22:03
AOL Dial Up?! Are you mad? That could be the cause in the first place!!
HI Zeph, can you elaborate on your last post :confused:

homealone
08-10-2004, 22:13
this is the first time i have been on this site as i only had broadband fitted last wednesday and keep getting error messages when i try to register.
the ntl service status line suggested 80.5.178.26, tried it and got another error message, not a very good start, i may well stay with the aol dial up.

hi 'big paul' :welcome: to Cable forum

please don't press the aol button, yet, there is a lot more you can try before it gets that bad. We will always try to help where we can, on here :)

- we will need to know how are connected (cable modem or set top box), whether by usb or ethernet, which operating system you are running and whether you have told your pc to forget about the dial-up connection, for now :)

big paul
08-10-2004, 22:29
Hi gaz, i am running a cable modem connected via the ethernet cable, my pc is on xp and if i try to dial out with the cable modem connected it does`nt happen. I have done everything the set up disc tells me it just wont let me into the system to confirm.

scrotnig
08-10-2004, 22:35
Start > Run

Type 'command' in the run box

In the black box that appears, at the flashing cursor, type 'ipconfig'.

Look at the results, there should be one that says 'ip address'. This should start with 80, or 81, or 82.

Assuming this is the case, close the black box down and open up Internet Explorer. It will probably try to load a page and fail, that's ok. When it has failed, click into the address bar, delete what is there, and type the following:

This should take you to the ntl registration page. Select 'broadband', and follow the instructions on screen. Have your PIN number and surname as supplied on the welcome letter to hand.

The above does NOT require the CD, so remove that from the drive.

homealone
08-10-2004, 22:47
Hi gaz, i am running a cable modem connected via the ethernet cable, my pc is on xp and if i try to dial out with the cable modem connected it does`nt happen. I have done everything the set up disc tells me it just wont let me into the system to confirm.

like Mark B says, the setup cd is not required, try it his way, he's a top bloke :)

big paul
09-10-2004, 12:11
success!!! the power of the broadband is mine. thanks to everyone who made suggestions, they were all right on the mark.
Next problem, when i switch on the pc it is telling me to insert the set up disc to complete the set up, is this necessary or is there another way around this?

scrotnig
09-10-2004, 12:13
No, the CD will not now be needed.

I tend to find after a couple of reboots this message goes away. It only appears because the CD installation was never completed.

However, there ARE ways to make it go away manually, but I am unsure what they are!

Chris W
09-10-2004, 12:22
However, there ARE ways to make it go away manually, but I am unsure what they are!

Go into start -> run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) then click on the startup tab, and look down the list for "recoverfromreboot"

untick this, then apply the changes and close the system configuration utility. You will be prompted to restart the computer, do so.

When it reboots you will have a message saying "you have used the system configuration utility to change the way windows starts...." tick the box and press ok.

All done :)

murgesson
12-10-2004, 20:32
The registration system at 80.5.178.26 didn't work for me. It accused me of having the wrong details, or attempting to register for the wrong service. I tried it a couple of times, and I think I got my details right. It certainly recognised something (probably my surname) because it pulled up the correct postcode.

You suggested that the ip address should start with 80, or 81, or 82. I believe mine starts with 200-something (251?). Not sure if that's part of the problem. Is there another registration site I can try?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chris W
12-10-2004, 21:13

there is only one registration page. If it fails to verify them then it looks like a problem with the account setup, PM me your PIN number and surname and i'll have a look in work tomorrow.

Your ip may well start 213 and this is perfectly valid :)

jhastie
12-10-2004, 23:51
I had the same issue, in the end when i rang up (after a leisurely 30 min wait) they deduced that my PIN number was wrong, gave me a new one and got signed up on autoreg straight away.

Celyn
13-10-2004, 21:23
Hello, folks. Well, my name is Celyn and I am another victim of NTL! A quick Google for any mention of NTL braodband registration problems brought me to this site, and, feeling that I might well have to become a regular visitor, and picker of brains, I thought I had better introduce myself. Thus far, the blasted Installer CD-Rom worketh not, and the 80.5.178.26 thing jsut denies that it can detect a cable modem. After a break to calm down, I'll go back to it, but I reckon I'll be studying this board in order to benefit from suggestions made to other members regarding solutions to this hassle. (I hope nobody minds.)

I'm just a bit cheesed off with NTL, as you might guess.

Not even the famous "Welcome Letter" Poor sad me!

Marge
13-10-2004, 21:30
:welcome: Celyn

Are you connecting with USB or Ethernet?? Whats your IP address atm ??

Celyn
13-10-2004, 22:33
Hello, Debsy42. I'm connecting - or failing to connect - with a USB cable. Now, seeing as I can't connect really, I hate to be so stupid but I don't think I'd know what my IP is. Unless, that is, it's the samae as my dialup? Will check that one now - I think it is 62 - 252 blah blah something. (But then I had the vague notion that NTL is an ISP that assigns fsort of changeable IPS (??)

I suppose I will 'phone NTL again (this tiem with supplies of food and woolly jumpers so I can be prepared for a long phone session), but although I have found the staff to be pleasant when I do get through to a human, at least one chap told me a heap of nonsense to the effect aht I would have to spell my own name wrong in order to register - not very confidence-inspiring..

Celyn
13-10-2004, 22:41
Dial-up thing that I am using to oget to the 80.5.178.26 site is

62.252.144.xx.

Dunno if that helps though. Trouble is, once the technology gets me at all muddled, bit of a brain meltdown problem.

Edit: Best not to post your full ip, instead PM it to the relevant person. (Paul).

Marge
13-10-2004, 22:44
Is the Modem plugged into the PC??

Which windows system are you using so we can find the "proper" IP address??

Don't despair, we'll get you there in the end one way or another :tu:

Chris W
13-10-2004, 23:44
Dial-up thing that I am using to oget to the 80.5.178.26 site is

62.252.144.xx.

Dunno if that helps though. Trouble is, once the technology gets me at all muddled, bit of a brain meltdown problem.

Edit: Best not to post your full ip, instead PM it to the relevant person. (Paul).

In order to register the cable modem, you will need to do the registration through the cable modem, not a dial up connection.

The registration page will be the only site that you can reach until you have registered the modem.

Connect the cable modem back up, and check what ip address you are getting for that one. It will either begin with 80,81,82,62 or 213 and will end with something in the range 248-253.

If you have an ip address in this form try the registration site with this one, and see what happens. If it works, great! If it doesn't, pm me the mac address from the bottom of your cable modem and your pin number and i will have a look at this in work tomorrow.

If the ip address begins with anything other than the above mentioned, post back with the first two parts of it, eg 169.254

MB

IanW
14-10-2004, 13:08
I am also a new user of NTL that is unable to register. My problem is similar to those posted here, but I do seem to get much further into the process than anyone else. I am using the 80.5.178.26 site, it recognises my PIN and surname, I am able to specify my user name and password. I get to the point where is looks as if it is just about to create my account, when I get a message about "user creation error". I have phoned tech support, went through the whole process with them and when I got to point when it failed they said that it sounded like a serious problem and someone would get back to me within 48 hrs. Needless to say I'm still waiting for that call. I have phoned back on a number of occasions but just keep getting told there is an issue. I'm will give them a few more days and then I will be having it taken out.

Chris W
14-10-2004, 13:18
:welcome: there is an issue at the moment, but we may be able to get round it....

PM me your pin number and name, and i'll have a look at this in work tomorrow

Celyn
14-10-2004, 15:42
For all who nicely welcomed me and offered help - many many thanks. Following instructions given restored some faith that it *would* work, and wonder of wonders, I did get through today to a most helpful bloke at NTL tech support. Seemed the trick was to tell my computer to "resintall" which I would not have guessed as I had never seemed to get as far as "installing" in the first place.

For IanW - much sympathy. I'd be pretty alarmed and sad too if, on getting through to tech help, they said "ooh serious problem". :Yikes: I hope it can be resolved for you.

tang
14-10-2004, 17:15
I think I have the same problem as Celyn. I can't connect to the 80.5.178.26 site. I've checked my IP address through the ipconfig thing (is this right?) and I get 192.168.

I've even tried removing the coaxial cable and rebooting the modem and computer but it's still the same. I think I've tried everything to connect to that site. I'm I missing anything?

Celyn
14-10-2004, 18:01
..............I've even tried removing the coaxial cable and rebooting the modem and computer but it's still the same. I think I've tried everything to connect to that site. I'm I missing anything?
Sounds VERY much like that same as mine.

However, one thing I just would NOT risk doing is an ignoramus like me trying to advise you and potentially making things worse. I will say, though, that if you mention which OS you are using, I rather imagine a wiser person can help. That's all - only real purpose of this reply is, really, to keep you from giving up entirely - I certainly felt awfully bored with rebooting this, that, and the next thing.

Fingers crossed, tang! :)

Chris W
14-10-2004, 18:58
I think I have the same problem as Celyn. I can't connect to the 80.5.178.26 site. I've checked my IP address through the ipconfig thing (is this right?) and I get 192.168.

I've even tried removing the coaxial cable and rebooting the modem and computer but it's still the same. I think I've tried everything to connect to that site. I'm I missing anything?

if you are getting an ip of 192.168.100.3 or 192.168.100.10 that means the cable modem is not getting a network connections.

Is it one of these, or something else? if it is something else check that you have not specified the ip address.... post back if you need instructions for doing so :)

tang
14-10-2004, 21:44
it's 192.168.100.10 and I'm using Windows XP.

Chris W
14-10-2004, 22:15
oops... that tends to suggest that you are not getting a network connection on the cable modem

ring technical support on 0845 650 0925 and they will sort out an engineer to come out and sort this out. They are open until midnight.

tang
15-10-2004, 11:42
I called up ntl and they were going to send an engineer over, but then they said it was an area problem so there was no need. It's been about 3 weeks now since I've had the modem installed. :( I guess I'll have to wait it out if this is true.

lauz_infamy
15-10-2004, 13:47
help me, help me, help me!

signed up for broadband almost a month ago, and have been trying to register ever since. tech dept no help, customer services haven't a clue what i'm talking about, and my boyfriend won't let me sign up with anyone else <meanie!>

if any engineerie person reads this, i would really appreciate if you could email me at lauzinfamy@ntlworld.co.uk which is through the telly, and the only way i can get emails right now. save for trapsing to library.

scrotnig
15-10-2004, 14:11
help me, help me, help me!

signed up for broadband almost a month ago, and have been trying to register ever since. tech dept no help, customer services haven't a clue what i'm talking about, and my boyfriend won't let me sign up with anyone else <meanie!>

if any engineerie person reads this, i would really appreciate if you could email me at lauzinfamy@ntlworld.co.uk which is through the telly, and the only way i can get emails right now. save for trapsing to library.
What problem are you experiencing when registering?

Do you have broadband via set top box or cable modem?

Have you been given a PIN number or a PID number, and if so, what error message is occurring?