PDA

View Full Version : House and Personal inurance

Caspar
22-09-2004, 11:16
ok, time to renew my insurances :(

Can anyone recommend good places to take out house (content and building) and personal life insurance. :)

Nugget
22-09-2004, 11:23
It depends on how much cover etc you want.

Mrs Nug and I have got the contents / home insurance with Abbey, and we pay about 36 quid a month for the combined one (that was the cheapest we were quoted) for up to around £30 000 on contents (can't remember how it works on buildings).

We've also got our personal insurance with Norwich Union (through Tesco) and our combined payment is about 11 quid a month (including the fact that I'm down as a smoker).

Both of them do us alright but, again, it depends on whether it's just you / level of cover etc.

HTH :tu:

Chris
22-09-2004, 11:24
Personal life I can't advise, as we have it bundled with our (gulp) endowment policy. However, we did quite well out of Direct Line for home (building and contents). Buy online for a discount, and if you have any other Direct Line policy, you will get a further 'loyalty' discount for your first year.

Bishop
22-09-2004, 11:33
ok, time to renew my insurances :(

Can anyone recommend good places to take out house (content and building) and personal life insurance. :)

Take a look at Endsleigh they gave me a good deal, so they said:rolleyes:

probably never pay out anything if anything happens - but there you are

Caspar
22-09-2004, 11:35
I pay about £40 pm for personal insurance and about £40 for house, can't remember the specific details tho.

I'll check those companies out, thanks :)

Bishop
22-09-2004, 11:41
I pay about £40 pm for personal insurance and about £40 for house, can't remember the specific details tho.

I'll check those companies out, thanks :)
good luck

it seems to me that there is a fine line between bookies and insurance companies - our local bank closed down and got replaced by a bookies office:erm:

Bifta
22-09-2004, 11:44
Take a look at Endsleigh they gave me a good deal, so they said:rolleyes:

probably never pay out anything if anything happens - but there you are

Whatever you do avoid "Abbey" (nothing to do with Abbey National), I moved house and went into their office and gave them details of the new address, as it turned out they neglected to do the change of address leaving me uninsured on my property for a year (without me even knowing), they then sent a policy renewal notice to my old address, obviously never got a reply and cancelled it, ar$eholes!

Anyway, I've now moved to Endsleigh, I'm insured for the guts of 50 grand (just for contents) + another 10 grand for my computer equipment, which includes accidental damage with only a 50 pound excess, it's a bit more expensive, round about £14 a month but worth it.

Mr_love_monkey
22-09-2004, 12:08
My household is with IF, costs about 30 a month.
Went for them since I liked the way they work their contents insurance. Basically you have unlimited contents insurance, so you never need to worry about not having enough cover - and there is something like a limit on items of about 2k each, which works quite well I think

Caspar
22-09-2004, 12:25
Looking at IF.com it looks like you have to be a mortage customer before being able to take advantage of their insurance and assurance products. :(

Mr_love_monkey
22-09-2004, 12:26
Ah, sorry, didn't realise....

Graham
22-09-2004, 12:31
Try visiting http://www.unravelit.com/

It lets you compare many providers to see who can offer the best rates.

SMHarman
22-09-2004, 12:32
Abbey National does unlimited contents in the price, also allows you to drop the excess right down and does good cover away from the home.

My Abbey policy home buildings and contents is about £66 a month with all risk (globally) and specified Jewelry and cameras. They are pretty good on settling claims too.

Life policies, do you mean death cover

http://www.thisismoney.com/moneyshop/money_shop_insurance_home.html

http://www.thisismoney.com/moneyshop/money_shop_insurance_life.html

This is money has some good guides on this.

orangebird
22-09-2004, 12:52
Whatever you do avoid "Abbey" (nothing to do with Abbey National), I moved house and went into their office and gave them details of the new address, as it turned out they neglected to do the change of address leaving me uninsured on my property for a year (without me even knowing), they then sent a policy renewal notice to my old address, obviously never got a reply and cancelled it, ar$eholes!

Anyway, I've now moved to Endsleigh, I'm insured for the guts of 50 grand (just for contents) + another 10 grand for my computer equipment, which includes accidental damage with only a 50 pound excess, it's a bit more expensive, round about £14 a month but worth it.

I'm with Endsleigh for my house contents and car insurance. Haven't had to claim anything on the house, but have for the car and got top notch service. :tu:

Marge
22-09-2004, 13:02
have for the car and got top notch service. :tu:

I'm just waiting for the bloke comments now ;)

orangebird
22-09-2004, 13:04
I'm just waiting for the bloke comments now ;)

Well, before they start, I had an unfortunate meeting with a deer. :(

Chris
22-09-2004, 13:10

eurgh, nasty - my father in law hit a deer once, made a right mess of the front of his car. :disturbd:

daxx
22-09-2004, 14:22

?? as in old with shopping trolley ?? :D

Chris
22-09-2004, 14:37
I should add that Direct Line home insurance have been great with me. We had a water leak earlier in the year that damaged part of the central heating system. They opened the claim over the phone, sent me a part-filled-in claim form, and then they kept chasing me to fill it in and send it back! With needing to do so much to the house done prior to moving this year I kept putting it off, and they kept pestering me, until I eventually got round to it only about a month ago. Three weeks after I posted the form, a cheque for the full amount (less excess) arrived, no questions asked. :tu:

Tezcatlipoca
22-09-2004, 19:27
Sorry to hijack your thread, Cas....

Can anyone recommend someone for home/contents insurance, who insure shared houses (not a student house though)?

I tried my bank (NatWest), but they say they don't do insurance for shared houses.

SMHarman
22-09-2004, 22:16
Most do insure shared house, they just exclude loss if the theft is not from an external break in (i.e if one of the sharers steals from another).

bob_a_builder
22-09-2004, 23:58
For house and contents, pop along to www.easycover.com, fill in all the details, you'll get a lot of quotes back, most will be around the same level, but for me 2 years running now, the quote from the Ashdown Partnership has come out way below, with better cover than some of the big boys

eg for comparison just done a 'unravelit.com' quick quote for the same cover came out at £400+, via Ashdown £250

Tezcatlipoca
23-09-2004, 21:41
Cheers :)

Caspar
28-12-2004, 12:22
Opening this up again!!... :)

Is there any point in getting Legal Expenses when taking out home/contents insurance?

Graham
28-12-2004, 15:35
Is there any point in getting Legal Expenses when taking out home/contents insurance?

Simple answer: YES!

If you need advice on a law related subject or if you have any legal problems, this coverage can be invaluable provided it's not massively expensive or has excessive restrictions.

It normally only adds a couple of quid to your premium, but it can save you a lot of money in the long run.

Caspar
28-12-2004, 16:03
Thanks Graham :tu: :)

Here's what Norwich Union say about LE:

Legal Expenses Insurance is provided by Capita Assistance Ltd and underwritten by Brit Insurance.

This Insurance provides our customers with up to £50,000 per claim to pursue or defend a case in court.

As an example, Legal Expenses Insurance may be used in the following situation:

If you had an extremely noisy neighbour who played loud music until early hours of the morning which was having a harmful impact on you or your family, and despite attempts of mediation, there is no change, Legal Expenses Insurance may enable you to bring civil action against your neighbour.

..and yes, I'll be going for it... :)

£60 deposit and 10 £36 premiums...

Caspar
29-12-2004, 12:55
£60 deposit and 10 £36 premiums...

Ok, took the above policy out with Norwich Union (85,000 building and 30,000 contents)....then went to cancel with current insurance company, Countrywide, and they offered me a 30% no claims discount!...which now brings their £40.82 to £28.57 pm! :D ..a few hours messing around looking for a quality quote means I save £147 per year!!! :D

...maybe I'll try my other services next!...esp personal insurance... :)