PDA

View Full Version : Slow browsing, how do I ask for modem details ?

Haighy
21-09-2004, 12:46
Hi.
New to the site but have been reading the threads. Fascinating :-)
I have been having problems with some sites and the tech guy at one of them said my ISP is "Mangling headers or not refreshing pages. Despite our headers being set to no cache".
I have done the various things suggested in these forums, DNS setting, Cache settings etc but not much change.
I would love to check out my modem settings and readings but the link I found to the modem doesnt connect.
I am on 750K NTL stand alone, via a Belgin router (that I have set to put this into the DMZ) on XP Home SP2, P4 3.06 lots of ram and disk space etc.
Anyone got any advice as to how to access the modem settings ?
Thanks in advance
Haighy

Paul
21-09-2004, 12:57
What modem is it ?

Haighy
21-09-2004, 12:59
Terayon TJ210

TY for the swift reply btw :-)

Paul
21-09-2004, 13:08
Ah, sorry, I'm not sure how you access the Terayon's, but I'm sure someone else will be along who does. :)

Mauldor
21-09-2004, 13:09
:welcome: By the way Haighy to the forums ;)

Haighy
21-09-2004, 13:22
Thank you ... a pleasure to be here :-)

Tezcatlipoca
21-09-2004, 20:44
The Terayon doesn't have a diagnostics web page like the other ntl supplied modems do, so you have to use Robin Walker's "DOCSDIAG":

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#teradiag

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

:)

Chris W
21-09-2004, 20:46
Or you can PM me your mac address and i can look them up for you ;)

MB

paulyoung666
21-09-2004, 20:50
if you are trying docsdiag

then use this jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -cmip *********** -cmmac **********

insert your first i.p. hop and cable modem mac address in place of the stars :)

Tezcatlipoca
21-09-2004, 21:09
if you are trying docsdiag

then use this jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -cmip *********** -cmmac **********

insert your first i.p. hop and cable modem mac address in place of the stars :)

I think you have to first do:

"jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -ubrip *********** -cmmac **********"

(with the **** after -ubrip replaced by the IP you get from the 1st hop on a trace route)

...and then use the IP you get from that as the cmip in:

"jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -cmip *********** -cmmac **********"

Haighy
22-09-2004, 06:43
Thank you all for your help :-)
Although it seems lazy I have taken monkeybreath's offer and mailed him.
I will have a play with docsdiag tonight though, to see what it tells me and also to get used to it. So all posts were valuable :-)
Thanks again
Steve

Haighy
22-09-2004, 16:58
Did the thing Matt suggested. It said it was checking a range from way below my first hop to 1 digit above it and then said Please wait up to 18 minutes !
It then proceeded to blow me a screen full of X's interspersed with dots.
Then it said No modem found.
Checked that everything said what it should and it seems to be.
Read the docsdiag page and cant see what I can be doing wrong or what to do next.
I guess I will wait for MB to return and answer my mail.
Thanks again for all the help .... complicated things computers huh ?

Tezcatlipoca
22-09-2004, 19:37
Hmm.

[btw, although it can take a while, that first bit (the -ubrip search) only needs to be done the one time, to get the cmip. Once you have the cmip, it's just a matter of a doing the 2nd "jview..." bit I mentioned, whenever you want to check the diagnostics.]

It should work, that's how I read the diagnostics for my Terayon.

Maybe the search was too short.

You could try again, but increase the search length (info on Robin's site).

Or you could try using the "customer side" recipe: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/#custside

Then again, it's probably easier to just wait for monkeybreath ;) :)

Haighy
22-09-2004, 20:19
Thanks Matt. MB is also having problems reading it, so it may be that I am using the wrong mac code ... doh
I have sent him some more info and hopefully that will allow him to educate me.
Thanks again for your time

Haighy
23-09-2004, 12:01
Just noticed there is a tick next to this thread in the listing. Always wanted a tick but not sure what this one means ?

Chris W
23-09-2004, 12:12
Just noticed there is a tick next to this thread in the listing. Always wanted a tick but not sure what this one means ?

It means that you are subscribed to the thread ;)

Haighy
23-09-2004, 13:44
Thank you MB ... another mystry cleared up :-)
Didnt hear from you last night but your message saying you would let me know about the modem also had an error message saying you had exceeded your space and so couldnt send any more messages ... or summat. If you did try to mail me ... nothing happened. If you didnt then there is still no rush (didnt want you thinking I hadnt responded to anything)

Haighy
25-09-2004, 00:12
Just a quick post to keep this live :-)
Trust me to pick a time when MonkeyBreath is on holiday (or something) :-)

Haighy
27-09-2004, 18:56
Tried the docsdiag thing again. Worked a treat after reading the webpages 10 times :-)

Now I need to read some of the other posts to see what a terajet should be giving. Know I've seen some somewhere :)

goldoni
27-09-2004, 21:14
Anybody in Northampton NN1 Area I have a chap complaining the connection is dead slow and he is unable to browse the Internet with only part pages coming up, is it the same your end?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated