PDA

View Full Version : Sharing/overcrowding and the law

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 12:04
Are there any laws about bedrooms being shared? - basically I was having a discussion with the missus the other day, and basically we had heard of a family that had come from abroad and what they were basically going to do was sleep, Mum and Dad, Cousin - male (aged about 11/12 I think) and one other - probably same age unsure about sex, in the same room.

I thought I remembered reading years ago about restrictions on things like that, i.e. with kids of an impressionable age and so on - but my wife doesn't think that there is anything of the sort...

I've had a google but can't really find anything.. anyone know of anything?

Chris
20-09-2004, 12:09
I doubt very much that there would be any laws against this.

Ramrod
20-09-2004, 12:12
I doubt very much that there would be any laws against this.Only a matter of time :rolleyes:

aliferste
20-09-2004, 12:23
I dont think you can have laws about forcing people to not live in poverty.
Mostly its set up the other way about ...taking money off people so as to force them to live like that.
Maybe what you are thinking about is the council housing stuff, where you can apply for a bigger council house if there is a certain amount of people over a certain age with too few rooms.
OR
Maybe it is something to do with private landlords must apply to become a private landlord and state how many people will stay in a rented flat. This was mostly to do with students....ie you cant have 15 students staying in a 4 bedroomed flat.
This is in Scotland though !!

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 12:32
Hmm.. I just thought that the whole area of kids becoming sexually aware at that age, in a room with sexually active adults or kids in the same sexual awareness stage of opposite sex sharing would cause some sort of problem? - ignoring poverty issues and so on?

Chris
20-09-2004, 12:34
Hmm.. I just thought that the whole area of kids becoming sexually aware at that age, in a room with sexually active adults or kids in the same sexual awareness stage of opposite sex sharing would cause some sort of problem? - ignoring poverty issues and so on?

That's what I thought you were referring to, and no, I don't think there are any specific laws in that area. You can't assume that children, of whatever age, are being exposed to inappropriate displays of sexuality just because they are in a room with two adults.

If that was the case, and it could be proven that the children were being forced to be an audience for that kind of thing, there are existing, general laws that could be used to bring a prosecution.

Flubflow
20-09-2004, 12:36
In terms of council housing I know that local councils have a points system for re-housing based on things like people sharing bedrooms (with regard to sex and age).

dr wadd
20-09-2004, 12:49
Actually there are laws about this sort of thing (Housing Act 1985). In brief, no people of mixed sex over the age of 10 may sleep in the same room unless they are living together as husband and wife (married or common law). Additionally, the size of the room dictates the number of people that may sleep in that room.

This site

http://www.chiltern.gov.uk/housingcommunity/default.asp?step=4&pid=55

goes into the specifics in a bit more detail.

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 12:52
Actually there are laws about this sort of thing (Housing Act 1985). In brief, no people of mixed sex over the age of 10 may sleep in the same room unless they are living together as husband and wife (married or common law). Additionally, the size of the room dictates the number of people that may sleep in that room.

This site

Thank you - exactly what I was looking for :) :tu:

Chris
20-09-2004, 13:02

This site

The Housing Act appears to be aimed at rented accommodation, not all houses, and the wording of it seems to be intended to prevent overcrowding, not moral outrage, which is apparently what MLM's original question was about.

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 13:06
The Housing Act appears to be aimed at rented accommodation, not all houses, and the wording of it seems to be intended to prevent overcrowding, not moral outrage, which is apparently what MLM's original question was about.

But if that is the case, why do they bring sexes into the equation?

MovedGoalPosts
20-09-2004, 13:10
That's what I thought you were referring to, and no, I don't think there are any specific laws in that area. You can't assume that children, of whatever age, are being exposed to inappropriate displays of sexuality just because they are in a room with two adults.

If this were to apply, how can travellodges offer Family Rooms?

Dr Wadd's link is quite interesting. If you have 4 rooms 7.5 people can occupy the property. What is a half person :confused:

Chris
20-09-2004, 13:15
But if that is the case, why do they bring sexes into the equation?

I expect it's in recognition that most people want to give their sons and daughters their own rooms, but without the law worded in that fashion you would have no recourse in law. What that law does not say, and what I think no law says, is that you as a family are not allowed to choose to put yourselves all in one room, if that's what you want to do.

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 13:19
What that law does not say, and what I think no law says, is that you as a family are not allowed to choose to put yourselves all in one room, if that's what you want to do.

True, and to actually enforce something like that would be impossible...

As an aside does anyone know where I could get a copy of the complete text of the housing act - 1985 (download) - i haven't been able to find it via google...

Chris
20-09-2004, 13:28
True, and to actually enforce something like that would be impossible...

As an aside does anyone know where I could get a copy of the complete text of the housing act - 1985 (download) - i haven't been able to find it via google...

At a guess, www.parliament.uk would be where I'd look first. :) No idea really though.

dr wadd
20-09-2004, 13:32
The Housing Act appears to be aimed at rented accommodation

That would make some sense as I`m sure I heard about this originally through my mother who works with a housing association.

daxx
20-09-2004, 14:31
The Housing Act can be applied to private property (inc private rented)as well e.g Mum Dad 4 kids (2 of each all over 10), 3 bedroom house, eldest gets married they come and live with mum and dad, technically the house is overcrowded as one of the remaining siblings cannot, sleep in the same room as mum and dad, sleep with the newly weds or in the same room room as the remaining siblings. I have seen this sort of ruse used by couples who want to get a council property 'quickly'

Escapee
20-09-2004, 16:47
I hope this doesn't mean they will enforce a ban on three in a bed! :D

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 16:50
I hope this doesn't mean they will enforce a ban on three in a bed! :D
Well, going by the housing act, it's fine as long as you're all the same sex :)

greencreeper
20-09-2004, 18:11
You might be able to download or view the Act online, otherwise you can order a copy. Waterstones should also be able to order you a copy, if they don't stock it. It's not easy to read an Act of Parliament - they're designed to be hard to understand otherwise barristers and solicitors would be out of work :)

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

Mr_love_monkey
20-09-2004, 18:22
You might be able to download or view the Act online, otherwise you can order a copy. Waterstones should also be able to order you a copy, if they don't stock it. It's not easy to read an Act of Parliament - they're designed to be hard to understand otherwise barristers and solicitors would be out of work :)

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

I'd already tried that site, and the parliment site mentioned earlier... they don't seem to go back far enough to see that version :(

Oh well, guess I'll just have to use something else to help put me to sleep :)

greencreeper
20-09-2004, 18:51
I'd already tried that site, and the parliment site mentioned earlier... they don't seem to go back far enough to see that version :(

Yeah. It's the new open government bollo... scheme - everything is online so long as its not old. Like I said - you're probably only going to get it in paper form, which is no bad thing because when reading an Act you need to keep referring back to things. E.g. some sections will only apply if other sections apply, or only apply within the limits of other sections, or if other sections don't apply... :spin:

daxx
21-09-2004, 12:29
http://www.southampton.gov.uk/housing/houses-in-multiple-occupancy/overcrowding-and-space-standards.asp useful link giving a quick resume of the relevant sections.

The Housing Act 1985 (sections 324-326 and 358-364) specifies legal standards

zoombini
21-09-2004, 14:12
Working out who is allowed to sleep is OK, but the working out the number that can sleep in the size of rooms is mind blowing :D