PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcing Gazebo poles.

Mike
18-09-2004, 15:49
Hi all

Well after the recent winds most of the poles in my Gazebo are well bent.

If I straighten them is there any thing I can 'put' in them to reinforce them like some kind of expanding foam !

Any ideas

Many thanks

Mike

Ramrod
18-09-2004, 15:54
Hi all

Well after the recent winds most of the poles in my Gazebo are well bent.

If I straighten them is there any thing I can 'put' in them to reinforce them like some kind of expanding foam !

Any ideas

Many thanks

MikeSome sort of thin metal pole like what they use in reinforced concrete?

Graham M
18-09-2004, 16:24
Block one end and fill it with runny cement?

Graham
18-09-2004, 16:49
What are the poles actually made from?

Mike
18-09-2004, 17:01
What are the poles actually made from?

They are made of hollow metal..............may just replace with wood !

Graham
18-09-2004, 21:22
They are made of hollow metal..............may just replace with wood !

AIUI once something tubular like that is bent it's almost impossible to straighten it without leaving a major weakness.

You could possibly use a dowel to strengthen them, but, as you say, you could probably just use the wood itself!

paulyoung666
18-09-2004, 21:30
AIUI once something tubular like that is bent it's almost impossible to straighten it without leaving a major weakness.

You could possibly use a dowel to strengthen them, but, as you say, you could probably just use the wood itself!

if it is bent then it is possible to straighten , if it is kinked then throw them away :disturbd: , i suppose you could use solid bar , it would be as heavy as hell but a lot stronger :erm: , i would think dowel would be as likely to snap as the tube was likely to bend :erm: , dowel inside the tube would i reckon be a good compromise , it would depend if you could get the right size though :)

Graham
19-09-2004, 11:06
if it is bent then it is possible to straighten , if it is kinked then throw them away

Sorry, yes, I was actually thinking of "kinked" when I said bent. :blush: :dunce:

dowel inside the tube would i reckon be a good compromise , it would depend if you could get the right size though :)

Provided there isn't too much "play" it should be enough to stop kinks forming. It could also be possible to shim the dowel with something to pad it out and give a better fit.

Kliro
19-09-2004, 12:42
If you arent bothered about the weight then for little cost you could fill with cement, though that would make it too heavy, especially if you want to transport the whole set, how about sealing one end and temporarily filling with water, which can be poured out when you want to move or whatever?

Escapee
19-09-2004, 13:39
What about strengthening by pushing a fibreglass pole inside or remaking them out completely out of fibreglass poles. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a stockist in your area, but we have a company making aerials in Wales. I bought some fibreglass pipes to make an aerial years ago, they are very strong and difficult to break.

Could be worth considering as long as its not too expensive.

daxx
19-09-2004, 15:50
If you arent bothered about the weight then for little cost you could fill with cement, though that would make it too heavy, especially if you want to transport the whole set, how about sealing one end and temporarily filling with water, which can be poured out when you want to move or whatever?

or sand which you then wet, very effective and very heavy

Kliro
19-09-2004, 15:55
or sand which you then wet, very effective and very heavy
Yeah this would be a better idea, would have less 'give' so stop the pole from being so easily bent.

zoombini
20-09-2004, 14:18
However, you have to be very careful making them heavier.

heavy poles that are blown onto someone can cause a lot more harm than lighter ones.
Getting a long pole, shoving that up it & trying to fill it would be very hard & messy.

It may be just as well to just replace them.
Although if you want something stronger, try taking one to your local camping shop & asking for heavy duty replacements.

Scout Niger poles would do the job for many years & only fail when the local troop nick them to repair their tents! :D