PDA

View Full Version : Can't view updates to website on Ntl

daniel larusso
17-09-2004, 17:17
Strange one this.

Yesterday I updated the company I work for website and then checked the site had been updated ok using there internet connection (bt). Everything had updated fine and I thought no more about it.

I then get home and have a look at the website and some of the pages I updated are still showing the old web pages. This got me worried so I went back into work and checked the site again but everything was fine there. I then come back home and tried viewing the site using freeserve dial up and everything is fine.

That was yesterday and my NTL boardband connection is still showing the outdated webpages today even though I have now removed them from the ISP's server.

Whats going on :disturbd:

DeadKenny
17-09-2004, 17:24
That'll probably be the poxy (sorry 'proxy' ;)) servers.

NTL forces a transparent proxy server in the path of HTTP requests and what you get back can be what's cached on the server rather than the latest page. These things are supposed to detect changes, but they're not reliable.

Try CTRL+F5 to force the cache to fetch the page new (though many caches ignore it).

Unfortunately you can't bypass using proxy servers on NTL, but you can try other proxies.

Alternatively, the other possibility is a DNS change. Has the web server's DNS changed recently? If so it can take a while to propogate around the net.

daniel larusso
17-09-2004, 17:30
:mad: Ctrl + F5 didn't work. I will have to give it a few days.

daniel larusso
17-09-2004, 17:31
Just tried again and it does work :)

What a great way to view websites :td:

Chris W
17-09-2004, 18:55
The other way to force the proxy's to update faster is to go to www.yoursite.com?1

if you have used ?1 try ?2 ?3 etc...

This should force the proxy to update

sleepless
17-09-2004, 23:38
You could code the pages to tell the caches to always get fresh content. ie. META tags. Works most of the time, well it does for me. ;)

trev
30-09-2005, 20:49
The other way to force the proxy's to update faster is to go to www.yoursite.com?1

if you have used ?1 try ?2 ?3 etc...

This should force the proxy to update

Chris - this is the most helpful thing I've learned this month. It has saved my knuckles and walls from injury yet again.

I joined the forum just to let you know that.

Does this work for all proxies or just ntl ones?

Trev

You could code the pages to tell the caches to always get fresh content. ie. META tags. Works most of the time, well it does for me. ;)

Just replied to chris' momentous revelation, thought I'd better reply to this too....

I have an index page that is basically all <noscript>with a link to a .js file that document.write's it for the most human viewers that have scripting enabled. I've not yet found a way to stop caching of outdated .js pages as they don't have a header to put pragma nocache etc. But as Chris has just solved the problem for me, the administrator, I think th epunters can live with the old version until the poxy server decides to have a look what's new....

Chris W
30-09-2005, 21:09
Chris - this is the most helpful thing I've learned this month. It has saved my knuckles and walls from injury yet again.

I joined the forum just to let you know that.

Does this work for all proxies or just ntl ones?

Trev

glad to have helped :)

I'm not sure whether it works with all proxies, although i assume that it would do....