PDA

View Full Version : SACM or Samsung?

gary_580
17-09-2004, 08:53
NTL are coming to install a SACM for me for free, i currently get my BB through a Samsung STB. What are peoples views on which is the best. Ill be runnig 2 PC's and a PS2 on the connection.

I have no need for the SACM now as the problem i had has been sorted. However i wondered if i should let them install the SACM or should i cancel it.

I can see cancelling will possibly result in me losing my BB through the STB!

Mick
17-09-2004, 10:44
I can see cancelling will possibly result in me losing my BB through the STB!

Why will it? If you cancel, your STB should remain BB enabled as there is no change over to SACM taking place.

Or are you talking about fate there? :D

gary_580
17-09-2004, 10:47
Why will it? If you cancel, your STB should remain BB enabled as there is no change over to SACM taking place.

Or are you talking about fate there? :D

To raise a work order for the SACM to be installed they told me that they had to cancel the STB BB account. I agree until the SACM is installed it SHOULDNT happen.

gary_580
17-09-2004, 10:48
How do i make this a poll thread? for SACM or SAMMY STB

Mick
17-09-2004, 10:50
Poll now added. :)

gary_580
17-09-2004, 11:02
Poll now added. :)

TYVM

Matth
17-09-2004, 12:23
Well, if it was a Pace box, it would be no contest - especially now the STB boost (128/150k = 256k) has gone away, with the lower tier upgraded to 300k.

You can get diagnostics from a SACM, you can't from a STB (unless this has changed with the Samsung).
The SACM tends to be more compatible with routers (remember the Benq ESG103 ?).
The SACM doesnt go down when interactive screws up, but perhaps the Samsung has got that licked?

I was sure, and said SACM, but if the Samsung fixes everything that was wrong with the Pace, there may be a case for staying with what works, but then, if the behemoth is in motion to transfer you to SACM, maybe it's better not to stand in it's way.

Paul
17-09-2004, 13:03
Personally I would go for SACM everytime. Keep your DTV and BB seperate. :)

gary_580
17-09-2004, 15:52
bump

DeadKenny
17-09-2004, 17:30
SACM

I don't have NTL telly :p:

But seriously, I'd still want SACM as they're dedicated to the job and not (always) made on the cheap with cheap components by STB manufacturers like Pace. Though I do like my Motorolla Surfboard much more than those Ambit ones, but that's just a cosmetic thing.

On the other hand if you do have digital telly, a SACM would involve using a splitter on your coax (one to STB, one to SACM), and that would reduce the signal to the SACM and might cause problems. Though I don't know if that's what's happening inside a STB anyway, if so then it makes no difference either way (but if you dropped the telly you'd benefit from a STB in terms of signal ;)).

gary_580
19-09-2004, 10:25
SACM

II'd still want SACM as they're dedicated to the job and not (always) made on the cheap with cheap components by STB manufacturers like Pace.

The choice is SACM or SAMSUNG STB. I dont have a PACE STB so thats not an option.

DeadKenny
19-09-2004, 13:26
The choice is SACM or SAMSUNG STB. I dont have a PACE STB so thats not an option.

Yeah, I was just generalising with Pace as an example of typical STB quality. Many STBs are cheap, but I can't say about Samsung. Personally I'd still go with a SACM as they're dedicated to the job, but the issue of the signal being split is something you'd have to find out (i.e. do STBs split the signal internally, if so it makes no difference, but if they don't then a SACM would be worse for signal quality).

BBKing
19-09-2004, 13:44
Ambits aren't exactly Rolls-Royce engineering. Samsung's attention to quality is streets ahead of Pace from what I've seen (lots of Samsung guys around the place, very few Pace ones).

gary_580
20-09-2004, 08:51
90% are saying SACM but other than its one device for BB and one for the TV im not sure of any other compelling reason to got for the SACM

gary_580
20-09-2004, 22:06
bump for the last time

BigChin
20-09-2004, 23:26
im not sure of any other compelling reason to got for the SACM
Well I had Pace 4000 for a long time before it was swapped for a Samsung. After one week I'd had enough, it performed worse than the Pace did (with upload and download going at the same time speeds went to hell). So I requested a swap to SACM which I now have and so far is running very reliably at 1.5Mb :cool:

You'll be doing yourself a favour going with SACM. I really do believe in this case it is best to have one box dedicated to one job. Either I was unlucky (Samsung upload/download problem and fairly frequent crashing of the Pace) or the STBs really do struggle with the usage they have to cope with.

Pea-Pod
21-09-2004, 20:52
I've been okay with Broadband from my Set-top-box - I've bet i've tempted fate saying that now lol ;)