PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ethernet modem light behaviour, exorcism rqd!

pop80_uk
16-09-2004, 12:50
Hi
Ive just upgraded my PC and put 1in 2K Pro onto it, kept the same ethernet card though.
On my old PC when the PC was shut down the ethernet light on my silver modem 100 NTL box went off, as It should as no power to ethernet card means it cant talk to it.

On my new PC though the light continues to shine and flicker and flash after the Pc has been shut down!!:shocked:
I have no idea why this is, unless its a problem or bug?
Or something to do with my recent loss off connection quite often.
Any suggestions?
Why would the ethernet net modem light stay on when the power to the PC is off?
Thanks

Flubflow
16-09-2004, 12:55
Check bios settings. It might be that you have "wake on LAN" turned on. Unless you have a need for it then turn that off.

pop80_uk
16-09-2004, 13:15
How do I find the BIOS settings? Is that the BIOS for the motherboard or modem? (I know how to get the BIOS for my motherboard) but no idea for the modem, how come they chaneged?
Thanks

Flubflow
16-09-2004, 13:24
Its in the motherboard bios.

DeadKenny
16-09-2004, 13:35
The reason being that most modern PCs when "shutdown", still have power to the motherboard for reasons such as Wake-Up-On-LAN and so they can use a soft(ware) power switch.

Disabling WOL might stop it powering the network card, but you could be extra sure by just flicking the mains switch (there might be a switch on the back of the PC).

pop80_uk
16-09-2004, 13:51
Right, so motherboard disable lan power on shutdown, and that should work. Ok, I will have a look into that.
And it will still power up when the PC is turned on!?
Thanks people

pop80_uk
16-09-2004, 18:32
I dont have any settings within my BIOS to adjust the Lan settings???
Any ideas?
Thanks

DeadKenny
16-09-2004, 20:08
Is it causing you a problem?

It's perfectly normal with modern PCs (my network card lights are always on even when the PCs are off but not 'off' at the mains).

Flubflow
16-09-2004, 21:13
I dont have any settings within my BIOS to adjust the Lan settings???
Any ideas?
Thanks

How old is the PC? Most Motherboards made in the last 5 years+ have "Wake on LAN" or "Resume on LAN" (or similarly worded).
It is in the Power Management section of the BIOS settings where you want to be looking.

pop80_uk
16-09-2004, 22:09
Not really causing me a problem as such, just a bit paronoid that it may be sending or casuing un-nessasry wear to my modem or ethernet card.
Im just used to it turning off when the PC powers down.
So it wont cause any damage?
Will my hard drive still be silently running also? or just the ethernet card?

Yup my card is only 1 1/2 years old, so its a youngster! :)

Tezcatlipoca
16-09-2004, 22:28
It's fine, don't worry about it :)