PDA

View Full Version : Dropped conections

greg2204
16-09-2004, 07:56
Hi, just to shed some light on some peoples dropped conections. i know this is probably what you all knew but their is a patch in sp2 that causes dropped conections on the windows networking side, no lights will go out on modem nothing will change at all on the front but windows will just stop seeing a network, it will show a ip in msconfig for a couple of hours then will change to 0.0.0.0.0, i got a brandnew fujitsu siemens p4 pc on friday and put my conection into it and untill last night every 3-4 hours sometimes 15 mins the conection would die off, i now know the xp home that came as part of a restore cd has 80% of the sp2 updates on it, i installed a pirate version of xp pro last night with a valid key on it and no updates at all and my conection works spot on now im waiting for fujitsu to tell when exactly what updates they have added to the disk so i can eliminate one of them!!!! ps ntl must have 3 people answering their phones or alot of unhappy customers!!!!!

Florence
16-09-2004, 08:02
I have suffered dropped connections recently with all the lights staying on.. I use windows 2000 can't say its the same problem all the time. it can be a combination of many things but not all are the same.

greg2204
16-09-2004, 08:13
yeah you right!!! but ntl tect support are aware of alot of problems with the sp2 update for xp already as they advised me to remove the update and go back to the day before the update which was not possible as windows installed the update as it installed on the pc.. so the fresh update sorted it, i will post the update kb number if i can find the one thats doing it, do you update you 2000 alot from ms update site?

Florence
16-09-2004, 08:21
check once a month as I don't use IE as my browser. I use Mozilla for both browsing and emails. Have no faith in IE and outlook express to prone to attacks by almost anything on the net..

Will be looking to replace windows altogether in the near future.....

Paul
16-09-2004, 08:57
I have stayed well clear of XP SP2.