PDA

View Full Version : Trouble deleting off ntlworld webspace

LooeyUK
10-08-2003, 17:28
i have just 1 folder on my webspace. That folder is called "photo", inside that folder is another folder called "family".

When I use Internet Explorer to try to delete these folders it says it cant. It says to make sure I have permission to access this folder?

There are no files inside these folders, i have tried to delete just family but no luck.

I go into SmartFTP to try and it goes through the motion of deleting it but it stays there?

I try to CHMOD the folders and it comes up with "550 CHMOD not allowed on family" and "550 CHMOD not allowed on photo".

What is happening? How do i get rid of them?

Steve H
10-08-2003, 18:16
I think you *have* to have at least 1 folder on the webspace.. Dont Quote me on that though.. try uploading another file/folder, and then see if you can delete the family folder.

homealone
10-08-2003, 22:44
is it possible the folder has been removed by SmartFTP, but you are seeing the cached view - try CTRL/F5 to refresh?

LooeyUK
10-08-2003, 22:58
nope, its still there.

homealone
10-08-2003, 23:37
flying totally blind here LooeyB - by which I mean I ain't an FTP expert - I use Powerdesk Pro for my FTP stuff & it works like explorer for managing my webspace, just like it was on my hard disk.

sorry, to the point - something about what Steve_NTL said "rang a bell" and I'm sure I've seen somewhere your webspace has to have a file called index.htm in the root to work properly.

Obviously if you don't use it as a "website" this is irrelevant, but just a little file - with a link to .co.uk, maybe:) might be worth a try?

That's how mine is set up & I never have any trouble manipulating files & folders - my 2p.

<edit>& I use it as my homepage - tiny file - links to here. Load up Internet Explorer - one click - here. See the "Link to Us" link on the front page for the code - rename it index.htm - upload.

altis
11-08-2003, 12:53
I once had a similar when I was unable to delete a directory. Turned out the directory name started with a space character and so fooled every piece of FTP software I could find. Eventually, someone from NTL deleted it for me.

I also use PowerDesk Pro - it's nice.

zoombini
11-08-2003, 13:32
I currently have similar problems.

normal naming conventions, using BPFTP & it wont delete.
Cannot upload either.

setup exactly the same as when it would.

stamp92
12-08-2003, 08:22
if you call tech support they can recreate your webspace