PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

ninja306
14-09-2004, 20:59
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this in the right place! Have tried to find the answer to my question(s) elsewhere on this site but no luck.

I have: PS2; ethernet network adaptor (+ the lead it came with); NTL 200 modem which is currently plugged into a Linksys router. I am currently subscribed to NTL broadband - 300k.

I would like to wire the PS2 into the router. I tried to "plug and play" first; no luck - then I tried powering off and on various things. Still nothing.

Any suggestions will be most welcome! I guess my questions are....

1) Is it simply not going to work with 300k? I am not to concerned about gaming at this stage, just trying to see if I can get the thing online without shelling out an extra fiver. (This might sound daft but basically I'm on a free trial at the moment.... if I have to get a faster speed I think the trial ends and I'm tied in for a year.... if that doesn't work then I will have to pay for an engineer to come out to install the PS2 service, where as if I get them to install that service after the trial it should be free to install!).

2) Is the cable that came with the ethernet adapter OK to use?

3) Should it just be able to work by plugging and playing through the router? It's a Linksys wireless router (but I'm plugging it into one of the four ports).

Sorry if this is being posted in the right place.... if someone would be kind enough to let me know of a link to a page that can help me I'll be grateful!

Paul
14-09-2004, 21:04
Not sure, but you may need a crossover ethernet cable.

paulyoung666
14-09-2004, 21:09
hi and :welcome: to the site ninja306 , try going straight to the modem rather than through the router , when you get it working you can change bb tier as you see fit , month by month :)

Tezcatlipoca
14-09-2004, 21:21
:welcome:

1) It should work with the 300k service. Also, there is absolutely no need to subscribe to ntl's extra broadband & console service [all that does is give you 2 IP addresses, one for the PC & one for the PS2, which is totally pointless for you as you have a NAT router]

2) Don't know. Is it a crossover cable or a straight-through (sometimes called "patch") cable? AFAIK, you should use a straight-through cable to connect the PS2 to a router, not a crossover cable.

3) Yes, it should work fine by just plugging it into the router. What are your PS2's network settings?

Also, as paulyoung said, it's worth giving it a try with a direct connection to the modem's ethernet port, just to check. Make sure you reboot the modem though, inbetween disconnecting the router from it & connecting the PS2.

ninja306
14-09-2004, 22:36
Amazing what a bit of rebooting can achieve.....!

All working fine now. Went through the modem direct first, then tried again through the router. Works fine, so long as you reboot each time.

Yep, NTL are really trying to rip us off with that "dedicated service"! I think they tie you in more with that deal as well.

Thanks guys for your help, think I will find this forum VERY useful! ;)

paulyoung666
14-09-2004, 22:42
Amazing what a bit of rebooting can achieve.....!

All working fine now. Went through the modem direct first, then tried again through the router. Works fine, so long as you reboot each time.

Yep, NTL are really trying to rip us off with that "dedicated service"! I think they tie you in more with that deal as well.

Thanks guys for your help, think I will find this forum VERY useful! ;)

glad you find it some help , stick around it is a nice place to be :D :D :D